MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Camping tips, questions, suggestions and general discussion.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Camping tips, questions, suggestions and general discussion.  (Read 2093 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Camping tips, questions, suggestions and general discussion.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

Camper is for the 2 of us and the dog.  If more people come along, like my cousin, he brings his TC.

I see your are being your cynical self again.

All I'm doing is passing on my 25 years of experience, nothing more, nothing less.  Take it for what it's worth, but please quit being an a'hole.  Quit your weed thread.  Could do the same here.  I don't really give 2 shilts one way or another.

Seal maintenance applies to all RV's, yours, mine, anyone's RV.  Don't take care of it, you'll find out the hard (and expensive) way.  Lots of moldy, rotting, delaminating RV's out there.  You may have one....

Your choice entirely.  Again, I don't really care.

25 years!!!   A few months ago you were posting and telling me you had 'lots of experience'.  At 25 years you're still wet behind the ears.  Actually you were implying at the time that you had way more experience than I did but now the truth comes out.

Let's go back to the summer I got drafted...  1969.  I got my first job outside the 'tire' industry and it was in an inland marine and camper sales business.  They sold trailer boats and pop up tent campers.  I did repairs and deliveries on all of the above. 

What did you do the summer of '69?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »

Mav has seen both my TC's the old Lance and the new Palomino, I think.

I do know one thing and that is, if dog s pulling a pull behind capable of sleeping 8 people with a 150 truck, he is way overloaded most likely underpowered and underbraked. Like to know what his loaded to camp hitch weight is.

Now that we've established that I've been hauling both boats and campers longer than you have and probably for more miles over our lifespans let me give you a lesson!

I've hauled trailers of many types over the years.  A trailer is pretty much a trailer.  The cargo or design of the trailer looks a little different but they pretty much just 'trail'  (hence the name 'trailer') the tow vehicle.  I've hauled over width, over weight and probably just about over everything else and I've had trailers with great brakes, marginal brakes and no brakes.  I've had trucks (even cars) that were overpowered, under powered and just right powered (like the 3 little bears).  In all my miles I've never had a crash or even a mishap along the road.  The only ticket I've ever received was for no license plate.  I know it was there when I left the marina about 4 in the afternoon but by 2am it had disappeared.  No idea where it went and I don't care because the marina payed the ticket.

Anyway, lots of various nuts and bolts in a tow vehicle and a trailer but by far the most critical one is the 'nut behind the wheel'.  That nut can make a lot of adjustments and compensate for all the variables.  It's nice that manufacturers all put fancy little stickers on their vehicles giving the weight info but that doesn't mean the trailer will fall off at 2 pounds over the sticker. 

Keep in mind the load that you're towing and make adjustments and compensation as you drive.  Speed is always the big issue and is usually what gets most of those 'nuts' in trouble. 

So you can quit laying awake all night worrying about my current tow truck it is neither under powered or under braked.

I have the Coyote 5.0 engine and it puts out 365 or 375 hp.  Coupled with a 6 speed transmission that is more than enough power for anything I would ever hook to the back of that truck. 

This truck has better brakes than any truck I've ever owned.  Giant discs at all 4 corners and they would lock up anytime if not for the ABS overriding them.  The camper axles also have excellent brakes.  Before I hauled it home from Florida I took the hubs off and checked and cleaned and lubed everything in there.  This camper had very little use and it showed in the brakes too. 

I have the gain set at 8.0 and I can bring the truck and camper to a stop going downhill using only the trailer brakes.  Probably if I turned the gain up it would stop even quicker in that situation but the 8.0 seems like a very good balance.  When it comes to braking it's actually easy to forget the trailer is back there.

There now that I've 'learned you some new things' maybe you can sleep better at night not worrying what's going on in my life...

you really need to look into what's going on in your own life!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »

Did you mean hear instead of here?

I plan on buying a RV when I retire.  I'm waiting for Dick's Sporting Goods to start selling them do  so i can buy from them.

Considering a country wide tour hitting the state capitals that have not passed recreational weed and organizing for the cause.

Fixed yours as well.  I get tired of the grammar and spelling police on here as well...  Don't you?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »

Camper is for the 2 of us and the dog.  If more people come along, like my cousin, he brings his TC.

I see your are being your cynical self again.

All I'm doing is passing on my 25 years of experience, nothing more, nothing less.  Take it for what it's worth, but please quit being an a'hole.  Quit your weed thread.  Could do the same here.  I don't really give 2 shilts one way or another.

Seal maintenance applies to all RV's, yours, mine, anyone's RV.  Don't take care of it, you'll find out the hard (and expensive) way.  Lots of moldy, rotting, delaminating RV's out there.  You may have one....

Your choice entirely.  Again, I don't really care.

Ok, so you have (by your own calculation) 25 years of experience and I have 49 years and you thought you needed to try and teach me a few things :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm admit I can always learn more so I guess I'm open to suggestions.

Apparently I was not the only member that found your recent posts a little overbearing.  Great to post your personal thoughts but when you start going after other posters because they have different thoughts then I think you've overstepped.  Your ideas are all great for you and everyone else has their own ideas on what works for them. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

I am still very anxious to learn why you spend so much time parking on city streets though.  That is a new one on me although I do see it happening more and more with the homeless buying an old rig of some type and parking it on the streets and living in it.  If that's what you're doing then just say so :) :) :)

I'm also seeing that many municipalities are passing new ordinances against even parking a camping vehicle of any type on a city street so you may want to check the local ordinances before you go on your next camping adventure to the 'streets of ?'!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2018, 10:38:20 AM »

25 years!!!   A few months ago you were posting and telling me you had 'lots of experience'.  At 25 years you're still wet behind the ears.  Actually you were implying at the time that you had way more experience than I did but now the truth comes out.

Let's go back to the summer I got drafted...  1969.  I got my first job outside the 'tire' industry and it was in an inland marine and camper sales business.  They sold trailer boats and pop up tent campers.  I did repairs and deliveries on all of the above. 

What did you do the summer of '69?

25 years in truck campers.  in 69 I had mo Cox pull behind or could have been the Serro Scotty, don't remember which.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »

Ok, so you have (by your own calculation) 25 years of experience and I have 49 years and you thought you needed to try and teach me a few things :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm admit I can always learn more so I guess I'm open to suggestions.

Apparently I was not the only member that found your recent posts a little overbearing.  Great to post your personal thoughts but when you start going after other posters because they have different thoughts then I think you've overstepped.  Your ideas are all great for you and everyone else has their own ideas on what works for them. 

Different strokes for different folks. 

I am still very anxious to learn why you spend so much time parking on city streets though.  That is a new one on me although I do see it happening more and more with the homeless buying an old rig of some type and parking it on the streets and living in it.  If that's what you're doing then just say so :) :) :)

I'm also seeing that many municipalities are passing new ordinances against even parking a camping vehicle of any type on a city street so you may want to check the local ordinances before you go on your next camping adventure to the 'streets of ?'!!!

Whatever.  As of late I find you and your comments to be without merit.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »

Fixed yours as well.  I get tired of the grammar and spelling police on here as well...  Don't you?

Been less than 2 weeks since you decided to point out my watts vs kilowatts typo...

I believe the old saying is:

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »

in 69 I had mo Cox pull behind or could have been the Serro Scotty, don't remember which.

You probably should have kept your Scotty...   

we saw a couple of them over the weekend and they're probably worth a mint today!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »

That makes us even then...

every since you decided to start minding my finances instead of your own you've gotten pretty offensive.

every since you're gotten concerned about how much my truck will haul and what condition my camper is in you've become even more offensive.

What is it about me that you're puppy dogging about...

like I said before...

reminds me of you following FrenchFry around all the time.

I already have a dog that likes to follow me and I don't need another one right now. 

Go pay attention to your own finances and your own truck. 

I've gotten this far in life without any help from you and I think I can manage just fine for the rest of the trip!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 10:56:17 AM »

I did ask several questions this morning throughout the thread that would allow you to extrapolate on your thoughts and explain your comments. 

Again, still anxious to hear about camping on the streets...

what cities or towns do you go to for this?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »

So, you're one of these guys that can dish it out but can't take it?

You'd apparently like to have it both ways...

you want to comment on everyone else but don't want people commenting on your errors...

that speaks volumes about your credentials!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »

No, I find returning the trivialbullshit back on those who initiate corrections in the first place.  Especially to those who I see it offends.  Correct away!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »

Well, we've had a nice 'discussion' on the pros and cons of various style camping shelters.  Here's some info on one of the basics and old standbys.

We actually carry a small 2 person pop up tent in our camper 'just in case'.    We had a big tent when I was little and that was where I got some of my best early campground memories. 

Then I spent 21 months in the Army where I was assigned a tent but never occupied it after basic and AIT (advanced individual training or in my case it became advance infantry training).  Military tents were made of heavy and somewhat nasty material.  If you got up against the sides the coating they put on the tents to make them water repellent would rub off on you.  The upside to these tents is they would last forever!!! 

Tents have come a long way since then.  The latest ones have inflatable beams to pop them open and support them as opposed to the old telescoping tent poles we had in our family tent many years ago. 

There were a couple of these in the campgrounds where we were for Labor Day and it was pretty neat watching them 'set up'.  They still use stakes to hold them down and once it's inflated they do have a few ropes to help keep it stable if the wind happens to blow but on a calm day it would just sit still.  Many of the tents today are modular and you can just keep adding sections if you need more room.  That would be nice if you got a stretch of rainy weather.  The kids could just run back and forth.

I'm not making any endorsement for any of these particular brands.  This was just an article I saw on one of the camping forums last night.

There is at least one video of them 'setting' up a tent with what looks like a glorified bicycle pump.  I'm thinking a good leaf blower could have an adapter that would work with less human effort.

https://familycamptents.com/best-inflatable-tents-for-camping/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »

No, I find returning the trivialbullshit back on those who initiate corrections in the first place.  Especially to those who I see it offends.  Correct away!

...and you can fuckoffand die for all I care.  How's that sound toyouasshole.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

LOL, you are so easy!

And BTW, the feeling is mutual regarding life status AND I could care less what you think of me until that day comes.

BUT.....thanks for playing along!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up