MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > These are the statewide initiatives voters will see on the November ballot

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: These are the statewide initiatives voters will see on the November ballot  (Read 617 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
Re: These are the statewide initiatives voters will see on the November ballot
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 04:46:15 PM »

I'm sticking with my prediction of 65 - 35

Wow . . . You're good !

You were predicting the race between Cuomo and Nixon in NY primaries, right.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »

Many of the "old rich white guys of today"  are the   "young stoners of yesterday".

And I've said for years that eventually exactly what you just said.  I thought though because of the age of most voters that it would take another full to half generation before this would pass in any state.

Most old stoners know it's relatively harmless if under control, unlike alcohol, nor do they believe any crazy high statistic thrown out there that it is a ladder drug.  There will always be abusers.....Pot, Booze, Opiods but if I were an abuser I would pick pot over any of the others. 

GO POT!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 07:55:23 PM »

I knew stoners in high school who were complete idiots and are still complete idiots today. I also knew stoners that were straight A students and they are still smart and successful today.
There probably a very small percentage of the American adult population that can say they never smoked pot. As the old white republican conservatives die off that percentage continues to decline.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:56 PM »

Yup, same here Mav.

Something else noteworthy.....all the kids who had problems with the booze are now dead, yet when I go back to my old stomping grounds I see the old stoners are still around.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
More Older Americans Are Turning To Marijuana
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »

I talk to older veterans all the time that are finally discovering the benefits of marijuana over other more traditional pain management. 

I've often heard it was the pharmaceutical companies that got marijuana banned decades ago and that they're still the ain funding source behind repealing the ban.  As in so many issues in politics just "follow the money" and you'll soon figure out what is happening and if something will benefit the people or big business.

Related article:  https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/09/12/646423762/more-older-americans-are-turning-to-marijuana?sc=tw

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »

Huh, I never thought of the motivation from the pharmaceutical companies!

GO POT!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »

Huh, I never thought of the motivation from the pharmaceutical companies!

GO POT!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »

Coca-Cola is eyeballing a market segment of the pot industry now.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/09/17/coca-cola-cannabis-pot-marijauna-drinks/37846717/

GO POT!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »

Good read.  Even NRML, and most casual users, recognize pot does not belong in the workplace.....right along with alcohol.

Passage of the ballot initiative isn't going to change workplace usage, but what is screwed up is the testing methods of when a person last got a buzz and how much is in his system. People who intend to jump into the market, and organizations that would benefit from passage should be investing money into research for a testing method that clearly defines how much is in your system, and an approximate time period (3 to 4 hours) when you captured your last buzz.

What I don't think is fair is a person to lose out on a job opportunity, or be fired, if a test shows positive for trace amounts over a period of the last 3 to 6 months.  The testing needs to catch up with the same accuracy used for alcohol....something quantitative and time sensitive.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/09/20/marijuana-legalization-michigan-employers/1361074002/?from=new-cookie

https://www.freep.com/story/news/marijuana/2018/09/20/marijuana-legalization-michigan-employers/1361074002/?from=new-cookie

GO POT!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »

I'm still of opinion that only people with Doctors approval for a know symptom would be allowed to be in the work place with a minimum level of marijuana in their system.
I'd rather not have to work with people that have to use marijuana to get through the day, especially in a dangerous environment.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

I'm still of opinion that only people with Doctors approval for a know symptom would be allowed to be in the work place with a minimum level of marijuana in their system.
I'd rather not have to work with people that have to use marijuana to get through the day, especially in a dangerous environment.

I agree that, but extend the thought to all drugs including Alcohol.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »

Alcohol was on the list where i worked.  If you got caught in a random test it was a suspension the first time.  and after that you might get tested more often and eventually fired

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »

And their lies the problem......the tests are not quantitative, it's pass/fail for presence of THC which can show in your system for up to 6 months.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »

And their lies the problem......the tests are not quantitative, it's pass/fail for presence of THC which can show in your system for up to 6 months.

Sounds like a good reason to stay away from it if you value employment.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »

I agree!  Did I say otherwise?

My view is that a dude who smoked a joint socially with several others at a social gathering 5 months ago should not be an issue....NOW, if they had a test that had quantitative results and truly told the story if you were under the influence at the time, like alcohol, then I could possibly support it.

I have never once said I support someone being stoned at the workplace.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up