MonroeTalks.com > Categories > People > When People Become Obsessed With Other People

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: When People Become Obsessed With Other People  (Read 2649 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
When People Become Obsessed With Other People
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:44:47 AM »

Interesting article.

It appears Flip and a few of his cronies are all suffering from some level of OCD...

maybe they can get a group discount for some diagnosis and treatment!!!

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspectives/articles/when-people-become-obsessed-with-other-people
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: When People Become Obsessed With Other People
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »

LOL!  Actually a pretty good read and a few familiar flags.  I remember as a kid always hearing "Nobody Likes A Know-it-All."  Still annoys me to this day.

GO POT!  GO ELECTRIC VEHICLES!  GO RENEWABLE ENERGY!  AND NOW.....GO THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »

Some info, if needed.

What are the traits of a narcissist?
The characteristics of npd  (personality disorder)

Arrogance and Domineering. People with NPD are likely to have arrogant qualities, and will assert one's own ideas over others in an air of superiority and pride. ...
    Grandiosity. ...
    Preoccupation with Success and Power. ...
    Lack of Empathy. ...
    Belief of Being Unique. ...
    Sense of Entitlement. ...
    Requires Excessive Admiration. ...
    Exploitative...

everyday is a new beginning....

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »

I think you can unscramble some of those letters and spell out SidecarFlip.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 06:28:52 PM »

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20366690

Diagnosis
Some features of narcissistic personality disorder are similar to those of other personality disorders. Also, it's possible to be diagnosed with more than one personality disorder at the same time. This can make diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder more challenging.

Diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder typically is based on:

Signs and symptoms
A physical exam to make sure you don't have a physical problem causing your symptoms
A thorough psychological evaluation that may include filling out questionnaires
Criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), published by the American Psychiatric Association
Treatment
Treatment for narcissistic personality disorder is talk therapy (psychotherapy). Medications may be included in your treatment if you have other mental health conditions.

Psychotherapy
Narcissistic personality disorder treatment is centered around talk therapy, also called psychotherapy. Psychotherapy can help you:

Learn to relate better with others so your relationships are more intimate, enjoyable and rewarding
Understand the causes of your emotions and what drives you to compete, to distrust others, and perhaps to despise yourself and others
Areas of change are directed at helping you accept responsibility and learning to:

Accept and maintain real personal relationships and collaboration with co-workers
Recognize and accept your actual competence and potential so you can tolerate criticisms or failures
Increase your ability to understand and regulate your feelings
Understand and tolerate the impact of issues related to your self-esteem
Release your desire for unattainable goals and ideal conditions and gain an acceptance of what's attainable and what you can accomplish
Therapy can be short term to help you manage during times of stress or crisis, or can be provided on an ongoing basis to help you achieve and maintain your goals. Often, including family members or significant others in therapy can be helpful.

Medications
There are no medications specifically used to treat narcissistic personality disorder. However, if you have symptoms of depression, anxiety or other conditions, medications such as antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs may be helpful.

Request an Appointment at Mayo Clinic
Lifestyle and home remedies
You may feel defensive about treatment or think it's unnecessary. The nature of narcissistic personality disorder can also leave you feeling that therapy is not worth your time and attention, and you may be tempted to quit. But it's important to:

Keep an open mind. Focus on the rewards of treatment.
Stick to your treatment plan. Attend scheduled therapy sessions and take any medications as directed. Remember, it can be hard work and you may have occasional setbacks.
Get treatment for alcohol or drug misuse or other mental health problems. Your addictions, depression, anxiety and stress can feed off each other, leading to a cycle of emotional pain and unhealthy behavior.
Stay focused on your goal. Stay motivated by keeping your goals in mind and reminding yourself that you can work to repair damaged relationships and become more content with your life.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:21 PM »

Humm........I believe many in here accused FrenchFry of being like this.  Now Flip......whom shall be known to me going forward as FFF.

Arrogance and Domineering. People with NPD are likely to have arrogant qualities, and will assert one's own ideas over others in an air of superiority and pride. ...
    Grandiosity. ...
    Lack of Empathy. ...
    Exploitative...

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 09:44:16 PM »

It amazes me how good everyone is at identifying personality flaws in others while they fail to see their own issues.

Oh well.

It's human nature.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 10:17:47 PM »

Most certainly that's the case, it's human nature........just like varying opinions and respecting the rights of having them or stating them without personalizing it if your opinions don't match.  Varying opinions are human nature as well.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »

It amazes me how good everyone is at identifying personality flaws in others while they fail to see their own issues.

Oh well.

It's human nature.

Believe me MN I really don't enjoy being like this but I am trying to make a point with all your 'double standards' and all.

If you really, really, really don't like it then maybe you need to start condemning everyone on the board for their similar actions and not just the people you aren't tag teaming with. 

All you have to do is admit that life is all about 'what' is right and wrong and not 'who' is right and wrong! 

I do think you're actually smart enough to see the difference but you're afraid to speak out against the other members of your 'team'!!!

You can't have it both ways...   if you want to receive some respect you have to dish some out yourself.

Now, on a more serious note...

Flip matches just about every characteristic on the list:

Grandiosity. ...
    Lack of Empathy. ...
    Exploitative...

If you really and truly are a 'friend' of Flips then you need to be encouraging him to seek out some help. 

All the rest of us can do is point out his 'issues' but you can maybe talk him into seeking some help. 

Ask your wife about it...

I'd guess she can help point him in the right direction. 

One thing I've noticed is that Flip's condition has been getting worse the last couple of years. 

Time may be of the essence before he goes off the deep end. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »

Some info, if needed.

Grandiosity. ...
    Lack of Empathy. ...
    Exploitative...

Excellent info NewDawn. 

Interesting that a few of our posters exhibit many of those characteristics. 

Thanks for posting and I'll be singing "Delta Dawn, what's that flower you have on?" for the rest of the day ;) ;) ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »

Brd

You are the poster child for my post.

Sorry if you can't see that.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »

Brd

You are the poster child for my post.

Sorry if you can't see that.

No, I don't see that...

but what's more important than your opinion or my opinion is 'public opinion'! 

I don't know how many other posters have reached out to you but I've had several reach out to me with the same basic message...

"keep fighting the good fight"...

and so I will continue!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 09:47:01 AM »

Some info, if needed.

Grandiosity. ...
    Lack of Empathy. ...
    Exploitative...

I just wanted to bring this list back to the top again in case any of our newer followers are trying to keep track...

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »

I'm praying for him every morning when I awaken, and again at night before I go to sleep that God will see it in his heart to help him through those character flaws.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »

I'm praying for him every morning when I awaken, and again at night before I go to sleep that God will see it in his heart to help him through those character flaws.

Yes.

I am also praying for BRD.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up