MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Predicting the Future ?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Predicting the Future ?  (Read 195 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
Predicting the Future ?
« on: September 23, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »

Yes it was an obvious call, but I guess I called it pretty well.

Politics and Government / Re: Trump vs Clinton 2016 #152
« on: August 21, 2016, 04:33:37 PM »

As much as I can't stand Hillary for POTUS, I'm mentally planning for her win. 

The one BIG consolation if Hillary wins, is . . . .
We won't have to listen to people blame Trump for every little thing that happens for the next 4 years.
If he would win, the media will analyze, and scrutinize, every comment he makes.
That's all they've done for the last year.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Predicting the Future ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »

Oh yes we will have to listen to the liberals blame Trump.  Everything that Hillard effs up will be Trumps fault

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »

If you want to predict the future in politics all you have to do is study the past. 

Our political system works like a pendulum...   first an issue will swing one direction and maybe hang there for some time and eventually it will start to swing back.  Generally the farther one way or the other it had been or the longer it had been hanging one way or the other the farther it will 'counter swing'!!! 

My observation of the political 'status quo' is that the 'active voters' in the country are broken down as:

30% left...

30% right...

40% 'swing voters'!

It's not the left or the right that elect candidates.  We already know how they're going to vote (what we never know is 'if' they'll vote).   It's that big 40% group 'in the middle' that elect candidates.  Again, 'if' they bother to vote.

Maybe we should 'mandate' that everyone votes!!!

Would that change the outcome?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 08:10:36 PM »

If you want to predict the future in politics all you have to do is study the past. 

Our political system works like a pendulum...   first an issue will swing one direction and maybe hang there for some time and eventually it will start to swing back.  Generally the farther one way or the other it had been or the longer it had been hanging one way or the other the farther it will 'counter swing'!!! 

My observation of the political 'status quo' is that the 'active voters' in the country are broken down as:

30% left...

30% right...

40% 'swing voters'!

It's not the left or the right that elect candidates.  We already know how they're going to vote (what we never know is 'if' they'll vote).   It's that big 40% group 'in the middle' that elect candidates.  Again, 'if' they bother to vote.

Maybe we should 'mandate' that everyone votes!!!

Would that change the outcome?

Red,

Would it change the outcome if everyone "had" to vote? Well one thing that it would change is the government making it unlawful not to vote, kinda like Obamacare, making it unlawful not to have health insurance.

Then there's this. Obamacare didn't just mandate that you have health insurance, they told you what your policy was going to cover. If you didn't want pediatric dental care because you have no kids, or psychiatric coverage because you family isn't made up of neurotic/snowflake/leftists, it doesn't matter. It's the law, no matter how much it costs you.

Back to mandating that you vote. How would the government know if you voted or not? Well given the current state of government data gathering I
I expect they'd be able make that happen without much effort. But when they're gathering that data, might it be possible they'd stumble upon whom you've voted for?

So now the government, run by one party, or the other, has this data. They
have followed the law to make sure everyone voted. And they will go after the miscreants who didn't vote. Now there is the problem of the people who didn't vote for the current government. Ok, I'm getting carried away. No way an administration would use this data to go after people voting for the other side. Snort, snort.

What was the question?
John Kopke
Pages: [1]   Go Up