MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Why do some posters attack others?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do some posters attack others?  (Read 249 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Why do some posters attack others?
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:32:58 PM »

I don't get it

Instead of sharing ideas and thoughts it seems like some on the board exist to stalk and taunt.

I don't get it.  Don't they have anything better to do?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Why do some posters counter-attack others?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »

I don't get it

Instead of sharing ideas and thoughts it seems like some on the board exist to stalk and taunt.

I don't get it.  Don't they have anything better to do?

I'm guessing it's because somehow it helps their ego.  Some people become forum bullies due to the anonymity involved...  in fact I would say most.  I would say most of these attackers share similar psychological traits and for some reason they frequently all band together and for a sort of a 'tag team'.  Safety in numbers I'm sure. 

I really don't know that much other than what I've observed on a lot of forums over many, many years. 

What I do know something about is 'why' someone might counter attack on a forum as I have recently been backed into that corner myself which is interesting because this is the only forum I've ever gotten into that situation. 

Everyone has a breaking point and probably over time that point may drop a few points.  Mine came when Flip started questioning my finances...   finances that he has no way in the world of knowing anything factual about but still making it the basis for various comments and 'digs'.  I've pretty well isolated those to the psychological conditions we've discussed here in another thread.  No point in going into detail again as they're there if you want to read them and are able to comprehend them. 

After studying the list it's easy to pin one of those traits to almost every one of Flip's posts.  Last night he was bragging about how he 'chased' halo-girl and thought it was funny.  That's all part of his ego issues and trying to feel 'superior' somehow.  Some people can just lift themselves up and others have to pull other people down.  I would say that is what the few bad posters (attackers) have in common.  All a way to try to pull others down.  A feeling of 'power' somehow.

Counter attackers are completely the opposite and counter attack as a way of being good citizens...   the forum 'law enforcement' so to speak.  A Patriot is one word that comes to mind! 

25 views overnight!  Interesting number of views in a short time even though by your calculations there are only 4-5 active posters.  Would each one of those posters open the thread 5 times and not reply?  I think there are a lot more 'people' than you realize out there keeping an eye on your tom foolery!!!

Another good topic might be why does one poster jump on and stick their nose in where it really doesn't belong.  I've seen a lot of that recently too ;) ;) ;)  Have you noticed it too?

This is an interesting topic...   

maybe we can dig into the shared psychological issues these 'attack posters' share in common.  I'll warn you up front there may be some big words...   medical terms, things like that.  Might be difficult for some of you to comprehend but if you stumble on some of the words just try Google...   it really does help ;D ;D ;D
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Why do some posters attack others?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »

You make some good points.

I appreciate you clarifying what sent you on your crusade in the first place.

I think at the end of the day we  all have positives and negatives in our personalities and we are all not compatible with each other.

The funny thing is from my perception you and Flip are more alike than probably either one of you would care that admit.

As for me - I just like the kindergarten back and forth so it's all good.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up