MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Well at least we won't have to worry about all those pesky jobs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Well at least we won't have to worry about all those pesky jobs.  (Read 2855 times)

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: Well at least we won't have to worry about all those pesky jobs.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

Side's point is that Mobile homes don't pay their share of property taxes and basically every other taxpayer subsidizes mobile home parks. Not your fault. Our elected officials don't have the balls to do anything about it often citing affordable housing needs in the community. That sounds wonderful until you drive through some of the nicer parks and I see new Corvettes in the driveway and trucks that are nicer than mine.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »

Side's point is that Mobile homes don't pay their share of property taxes and basically every other taxpayer subsidizes mobile home parks. Not your fault. Our elected officials don't have the balls to do anything about it often citing affordable housing needs in the community. That sounds wonderful until you drive through some of the nicer parks and I see new Corvettes in the driveway and trucks that are nicer than mine.

those are all fair points of course, my thing with property taxes and us as residents not paying - well we do not own the property our home sits on - we already pay a mortgage and lot rent - it is up to the owners of said mobile home park to pay taxes.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »

We have a winner!

You have very eloquently identified the source of the issue.

Everyone who lives in a brick and mortar home subsidizes the services for everyone who lives in a mobile home park.

Of course - if you fixed this it would somehow be "mean" or "regressive" on lower income Americans - so I guess that makes the current situation AOK.

One of the many many things screwed up about this state.

And yes - drive through many Manufactured Housing Communities and you see expensive cars I can't afford.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 06:11:16 PM »

Of course - if you fixed this it would somehow be "mean" or "regressive" on lower income Americans - so I guess that makes the current situation AOK.

And yes - drive through many Manufactured Housing Communities and you see expensive cars I can't afford.

again everybody will have their own views and opinions on mobile home park living - I know in my particular one we have hard working (even a lot of two income) households that for whatever reason are choosing to live in a mobile home.  I know when we bought ours 20 years ago, at that time, due to several factors it was about the only thing we could do.  Do we regret buying a mobile home? maybe at times, and at other times, no we are just fine.  As for expensive cars, yes I have seen both sides of that as well - there have been (well what we might consider expensive since ours is 18 years old) expensive cars and there are cars that make noises everytime they drive by - for a while I could pinpoint who was going by just by the sound of the car.

Everybody wants to compare mobile home living with brick and mortar - ok what about apartment living?  who pays taxes there? I once was an apartment dweller and I certainly did not pay property taxes so why are apartments never brought into the equation?

I will say, this will be my last comment as I am not going to sit and continue to go back and forth; on some things it is just going to be better for me to say what I think/feel and leave it at that.  So anybody who wishes to carry this debate on - carry on.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

Apartments pay property taxes based on the value of the building. Mobile homes are taxed at $36 per year per home. Thats $3 a month. Not fair under any realistic circumstances to the rest of the people that pay hundreds of dollars a month in property taxes. You should pay property taxes based on the value of your home just like everybody else but you don't. I pay your share and then some !!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 06:53:44 PM »

Someday Frenchtown will learn that -  but until then -  The residents of the township will pay their extra share - for services, schools, and anything based on taxable value...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »

It's the state law that protects the Manufactured Housing Communities from being taxed fairly. Frenchtown ad Ash and Monroe Twp get hit hard because of the Mega communities they have there.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »

In a way, reminds me of the City of Petersburg.  Residents there are taxed at the highest mil rate of any incorporated community in Monroe County and the 'downtown' area has had a mass exodus of local business.  About all that remains is a bar, a beanery, a hair salon, the bank and library, many vacant storefronts.  What I find interesting is the City of Petersburg's board seems to have no will to bring in business or even look at grants.  I don't get that.  Petersburg is dying and the residents will get to carry everything.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 10:00:02 AM »

again everybody will have their own views and opinions on mobile home park living - I know in my particular one we have hard working (even a lot of two income) households that for whatever reason are choosing to live in a mobile home.  I know when we bought ours 20 years ago, at that time, due to several factors it was about the only thing we could do.  Do we regret buying a mobile home? maybe at times, and at other times, no we are just fine.  As for expensive cars, yes I have seen both sides of that as well - there have been (well what we might consider expensive since ours is 18 years old) expensive cars and there are cars that make noises everytime they drive by - for a while I could pinpoint who was going by just by the sound of the car.

Everybody wants to compare mobile home living with brick and mortar - ok what about apartment living?  who pays taxes there? I once was an apartment dweller and I certainly did not pay property taxes so why are apartments never brought into the equation?

I will say, this will be my last comment as I am not going to sit and continue to go back and forth; on some things it is just going to be better for me to say what I think/feel and leave it at that.  So anybody who wishes to carry this debate on - carry on.

Seems like a very civil discussion to me.  No stone throwing or finger pointing, just facts being presented.  Being a landlord myself, I know that apartment buildings pay their fair share of RE taxes based on ACV.  I never know how mobile homes were taxed until Mav posted it.  I fined that very interesting and very unfair to owners of dwellings with footers.  I think as a mobile home owner you should pay RE tax based on the ACV of your dwelling, not 36 bucks a year.  Don't find that owners of real property should be paying your share but then you probably have no problem with that.

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »

Seems like a very civil discussion to me.  No stone throwing or finger pointing, just facts being presented.  Being a landlord myself, I know that apartment buildings pay their fair share of RE taxes based on ACV.  I never know how mobile homes were taxed until Mav posted it.  I fined that very interesting and very unfair to owners of dwellings with footers.  I think as a mobile home owner you should pay RE tax based on the ACV of your dwelling, not 36 bucks a year.  Don't find that owners of real property should be paying your share but then you probably have no problem with that.

I never said it was not a civil discussion or that there was stone throwing or finger pointing so let's clear that up right now.  It is not me deciding who or what or where or when in the way taxes are decided.  And for you to feel that you know me enough to think I have no problem - well trust me, you know nothing about me.  I have said it before and I will say it now and be done - this is IT for me.  Signing off for last time and you Sir Flip can think what you want about that - frankly I do not care.. Obviously I am on the losing side of this whole conversation because you all are homeowners (brick and mortar of course) and or landlords apparently and there is just ME and obviously I cannot fight this battle and win so I am officially moving on and No Flip - you will NOT see me on this forum again.  When I log off after this post - have at it with all the snide remarks you want to make about "oh there she goes, leaving again, blah blah blah" because I honestly don't care and will not be back - PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION (on that part anyways).

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »

All I can say is....  Good Grief.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »

It's the state law that protects the Manufactured Housing Communities from being taxed fairly. Frenchtown ad Ash and Monroe Twp get hit hard because of the Mega communities they have there.

I agree its state laws set up to scam poor local governments -

They can zone to stop...  but I guess once they let one - its hard to deny the rest...

All that potential property tax for the thousands of homes -  gone forever.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 11:53:26 PM »

I don't get it at all.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »

A few years ago some outfit from out of state wanted to come to Bedford township and build a community of hundreds of that kind of housing. I think it took a while but the zoning board finally shut them out and hopefully can keep them out.  The park off Telegraph all the way to Lewis south of Smith probably has more 911 calls than all of Bedford.  It's a very large community full of school kids that probably all the taxes together don't pay enough to support one kid in school.    I get it that there has to be housing avail for low income families that wish to stay in a community but why do something to invite them in.  The company wanting to build the housing wasn't interested in helping Bedford residents.  They were looking to make a lot of money.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 01:05:43 PM »

Like I said, simple answer...  Tax mobile homes like other homes.  Tax them on ACV.  Have the lot owners roll the taxes into the lot rent / HOA fees.  Simple answer, simple solution.

Of course you can go outside Monroe County to say Lenawee,m more directly Deerfield Township, where there is no zoning at all, buy a piece of land and put a mobile home on it  Done all the time.  You get a mobile home next to a 250 grand conventional house.  Really does wonders for property values.  Glad I live where I do because it's zoned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up