MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > City/ County Parks

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: City/ County Parks  (Read 406 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
City/ County Parks
« on: November 17, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »

I was starting more specific -  Munson park   but figured this could expand to others...

Was talking with a former Mayor that was involved in the purchase of the land now covering part of Custer Airport and Munson Park.   

The name of the park was supposed to include  Raymond and Elsie Knapp   the people who sold the land much less than what a developer would have paid... 

The former mayor  Dick Seib  has an interesting story of how Munson who was on the city council (or commission back then) actually voted against the purchase in a political move not against the purchase but to spite another council person - and the City almost lost 50K  on the move... 

I find it funny that later a park he supposedly voted against is named after him

I'm researching to find the minutes where he voted against the purchase - 

I knew the Knapps  and would like to rectify the error and give the name legacy a visit. 

Not sure why we name parks after Mayors anyway...   If they seek remembrance -   maybe one park with a plaque like we do for veterans -   call it Politicians park  :) 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: City/ County Parks
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 12:43:49 PM »

We should rename it after John Iacoangeli who was all for running a public road through it so Tony Sacco could build more overpriced cheap houses in the back of Frenchman's Bend.

That guy is a tool.

How much does he still owe the city over his failed restaurant?  How much did he sell the liquor license for?

Can't believe some of the people that get elected in Monroe.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »

Maybe a corner of the battlefield or a place outside the $1   Ice rink...     I'm all for politicians park -  and then go about renaming the parks for actual people who did things not for fame or power...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »

Maybe a corner of the battlefield or a place outside the $1   Ice rink...     I'm all for politicians park -  and then go about renaming the parks for actual people who did things not for fame or power...

Then the politicians want to start a committee to decide how much more tax paying parcels to buy up and take off the tax rolls so they can build the battlefield corridor.

The best part of that was do they want citizens from Monroe - who donated the $1 per year ice rink, and is reducing their tax base to serve?  Nope - they wanted Canadians, and Indians, and township stakeholders. 

If I still lived in that city I would be ready to pass a recall petition on this group.

The best part - the politicians were talking about their legacy as they discussed the committee.

If I was you I'd be worried about my Pension and Healthcare with this group in charge.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »

Then the politicians want to start a committee to decide how much more tax paying parcels to buy up and take off the tax rolls so they can build the battlefield corridor.

The best part of that was do they want citizens from Monroe - who donated the $1 per year ice rink, and is reducing their tax base to serve?  Nope - they wanted Canadians, and Indians, and township stakeholders. 

If I still lived in that city I would be ready to pass a recall petition on this group.

The best part - the politicians were talking about their legacy as they discussed the committee.

If I was you I'd be worried about my Pension and Healthcare with this group in charge.

They can't touch the Pension -  which is a good thing.      Everyone is waiting for the "free" healthcare aren't they?    Medicare for all -  and just when I'm close to qualifying

Still haven't found the old minutes for Munson parks purchase...   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »

There is so much talk about free healthcare without any specifics.  Everyone is led to believe it's the poor guy living in the intercity that doesn't get healthcare but im pretty sure that isn't the case.  They seem to all be on Medicaid.  Or just go to the hospital and don't pay the bill.  It's the working guy in lower paying jobs with a family that can't afford it.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »

Ever time I go North on Dixie past Baker Welding and go under the bridge, I chuckle.

One thing about Monroe, if you don't have some kind of game going down, you ain't didily squat.  Sort of like the fair board and the MCRC.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »

Fair Board and MCRC.  We sure are well represented in Monroe County.
Pages: [1]   Go Up