MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Gov. Whitmer

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gov. Whitmer  (Read 2253 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Gov. Whitmer
« on: January 02, 2019, 12:28:53 PM »

I'll leave these promises here to see how long it takes... 

1.   Repeal the retirement tax
2.   Fix the damn roads
3.   Make healthcare affordable
4.   Better skills better jobs
5.   Opoid crisis
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Gov. Whitmer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »

And she starts her "non-partisan" lets all get along mantra by turning back on the "free" bottled water for Flint and "ordering" all state employees to "blow the whistle" on all the unsafe dangerous things that Snyder had been covering up.

Yep - way to get off on the right foot there *****.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »

Your #1 is too late for me.  I now have a Florida address! 

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »

Your #1 is too late for me.  I now have a Florida address! 
Florida just gets it a different way...  they tax everything down there
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 05:26:12 PM »

I still don't understand the logic that Pensions should be tax free while 401K plans should be taxed.

I guess it is a generational thing.

If you have a pension - you don't want it taxed.  If you have a pension you probably don't care if your kids 401K gets taxed.

Again - not logical that one should be tax free and the other one shouldn't be.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »

Used to be protected in the Constitution -  but like guns...  their are some who ignore the constitution as a pesky thing...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:17 PM »

Used to be protected in the Constitution -  but like guns...  their are some who ignore the constitution as a pesky thing...

I don't see anything that says that Pension Plans can't be taxed in the Constitution.

Heck - it doesn't even say you HAVE to give a pension plan.

https://www.mackinac.org/16610
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:43:09 PM »

I took my pension 14 years ago in a lump sum and rolled into a 401..I haven't paid any Mich state income tax on any of the withdrawals.  Had I taken. monthly annuity it would have been taxable.  Something messed up in the tax laws.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 05:51:52 PM »

Well - the roads really suck, but Whitmer has made it safe for everyone - no matter what letter of the alphabet they identify as.  Heck - you might as well claim multiple letters.  All you have to do is get a job with the State or a State Contractor.

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/gov-whitmer-signs-order-strengthening-lgbt-protections-in-state-government.html
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »

Paving the road to ruin with our tax dollars
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »

The new Governator isn't done yet making sure we all pay top dollar for whatever services we get from our state employees.

Yes - Gretchen has a pen and a phone, and she has been furiously using both to achieve the social justice utopia in State Government that we all crave.

Her latest act?  Equal pay for equal work.  Yep - no more paying someone less just because they have a vagina instead of a penis.

Now - what isn't clear to me......  how do you measure this?  I mean - typically you are paid based on what certifications you have, and how much experience.

So - if you have two workers - both 30 years old, and one has 10 years experience and the other has 2 years experience - do you pay both of them the same?

I'd like the Gov to clarify exactly what she is advocating.

She shouldn't have an issue with that right?  I mean she is all about transparency.

Well - at the very least she created more Government positions in all the departments - the Equity and Inclusion Officers - so I'm POSITIVE the citizens of the state of Michigan will get a TON of value from the valuable work those individuals do!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/08/whitmer-signs-equal-pay-equal-work-rules/2513819002/
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »

I don't see anything that says that Pension Plans can't be taxed in the Constitution.

Heck - it doesn't even say you HAVE to give a pension plan.

https://www.mackinac.org/16610

Lots of things don't have to be provided by government -  Law enforcement Fire protection for instance aren't mandated... 

Here's the wording in the constitution:
Defined-benefit pensions in government plans are protected by Article 9, Sec. 24, of the Michigan Constitution, which states, “The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state and its political subdivisions shall be a contractual obligation thereof which shall not be diminished

but as we see people no longer believe the words "SHALL NOT"  mean what they do - 

Shall not be infringed is a great example! 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 01:09:56 PM »

Lots of things don't have to be provided by government -  Law enforcement Fire protection for instance aren't mandated... 

Defined-benefit pensions in government plans are protected by Article 9, Sec. 24, of the Michigan Constitution, which states, “The accrued financial benefits of each pension plan and retirement system of the state and its political subdivisions shall be a contractual obligation thereof which shall not be diminished

but as we see people no longer believe the words "SHALL NOT"  mean what they do - 

Lets just say that you are reading things into it that aren't there.

Fair enough?

I can assume that since taxing pensions stood up to all the court challenges we can both agree that your interpretation was not upheld?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »

LOL.

In the City of Monroe they aren't providing fire protection - unless calling Monroe Township to do the job counts as "providing."

They are sure taxing the citizens for it though!
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 07:33:07 PM »

Well it could be argued that taxing pension pay outs does diminish the amount the state pensioner receives. But are we talking gross or net?
Net obviously being after taxes. Yet when they put in that the pension
"cannot diminished clause" there was no state income tax on state pensions.
Was this addressed in this article of the constitution?  I can only surmise
that since the tax isn't tied up in the courts it's legal.

But then there's this for me. Why do state government workers even get a constitutional guarantee on the gross pay out? I'm sure the Central States
Teamster pensioners, who will be lucky to get 50% of the gross they were promised, would trade places.

John Kopke
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up