MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Gov. Whitmer

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gov. Whitmer  (Read 1803 times)

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
Re: Gov. Whitmer
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 07:56:34 PM »

"Fix the damn roads" she says. Good line, a real campaign winner. But the issue has never been about whether people want better roads, they do. The issue has always been paying for them. So what is Gov. Jennifer Whitmer's plan to pay for them? Excuse me Gretchen. I didn't pay much attention to her campaign so maybe I missed it, but I read enough so if she put something concrete out there I would have heard about it.

Here's my guess. Taxes will go up. Well how come when government makes an "investment" on something it doesn't resolve anything so we can stop spending on it, and thereby re-direct the money elsewhere? Because it's government, not a business.     
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:41:16 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 09:27:51 PM »

"Fix the Damn Roads" was one heck of a campaign slogan, and may have won her the election.

Whitmer has a new slogan now.  "It's going to take awhile."

No shite Sherlock.....

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2019/01/18/whitmer-fixing-damn-roads-going-take-time/2608481002/
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 09:16:13 AM »

Whenever I get to the Detroit and Lansing areas all I see is reconstruction of freeways and new ones.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:10 PM »

"Fix the damn roads" she says. Good line, a real campaign winner. But the issue has never been about whether people want better roads, they do. The issue has always been paying for them. So what is Gov. "Jennifer" Whitmer's plan to pay for them? Excuse me Gretchen. I didn't pay much attention to her campaign so maybe I missed it, but I read enough so if she put something concrete out there I would have heard about it.

Here's my guess. Taxes will go up. Well how come when government makes an "investment" on something it doesn't resolve anything so we can stop spending on it, and thereby re-direct the money elsewhere? Because it's government, not a business.     

That is what I wrote back on Jan. 10th.

Now "Jennifer" Whitmer has come forth with a 45 cent per gallon gas tax to fix the damn roads. Five months ago, in debate, when accused of fixing to raise the gas tax 20 cents per gallon, she said that was ridiculous, as in no way. One might assume she meant there was no way she'd raise gas taxes by such an absurdly high amount. Well if one assumed that was what she meant, you would be wrong. She planned to more than double that absurdly high amount!       

Apparently back in 2015 we had vote on raising gas taxes for roads and it flamed out 80-20
against. So obviously voters tend not to be interested in higher gas taxes. So Whitmer just talked fixing the roads, leaving out the part about paying for them. And it worked. Voters elected her. Well all I have to say is enjoy, it's going to be a long 4 years.

I have another prediction. The upcoming budget come June will not be passed when it's supposed to be. Then the folks will start to realize we have Jennifer Granholm II.

Pukes in state legislature seem to be balking. So where does that leave us?
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 06:13:35 PM »

Pukes in state legislature seem to be balking. So where does that leave us?

It leaves me hoping that all the Democrats efforts to redraw the districts isn't enough to swing the Legislature their way, but frankly I expect them to gerrymander it to their own advantage if they can.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »

Here she is - smiling and calling Schitte a liar.

https://youtu.be/Jvjp6LN63ZQ

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »

Wow.  Just Wow.

All that tax wouldn't go for the roads.  Nope - we would use it to divert General Funds currently going to the roads to other things - and then use part of the new funds for other things.

This is just typical classic tax and spend politicians.

How did she get elected?  Oh yeah - she had a catchy slogan and she smiled when she lied.

Whitmer’s plan would generate an estimated $1.2 billion in new money for roads in fiscal year 2020 and a projected $2.5 billion when fully implemented in fiscal year 2021.

But Whitmer’s budget would also eliminate a general fund diversion planned under the 2015 road funding law signed by Snyder — set to reach $325 million in 2020 and $600 million in 2021. That shift would free up general fund revenue to cover university operation costs, which Whitmer wants to stop paying out of the School Aid Fund.

A portion of the new gas tax revenue — $21 million in 2020 and $42 million in 2021 —would also be constitutionally earmarked for the Department of Natural Resources Recreation Improvement Fund.

All told, the administration says the plan would increase dedicated road and bridge spending — not including one-time funding approved by lawmakers last year in supplemental budgets — by $917.5 million in 2020 and $2.1 billion in 2021.

]https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/06/whitmer-flak-calling-gas-tax-hike-ridiculous/3081060002/[url][/url]
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »

It really would be nice to see how much state gas tax is collected now and how much of it is spent on roads.
Just like overweight truck fines going to librarys..How stupid to put up with that

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 07:12:55 PM »

Wow.  Just Wow.

All that tax wouldn't go for the roads.  Nope - we would use it to divert General Funds currently going to the roads to other things - and then use part of the new funds for other things.

This is just typical classic tax and spend politicians.

How did she get elected?  Oh yeah - she had a catchy slogan and she smiled when she lied.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/06/whitmer-flak-calling-gas-tax-hike-ridiculous/3081060002/[url]]]https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2019/03/06/whitmer-flak-calling-gas-tax-hike-ridiculous/3081060002/[url][/url]

She didn't lie, she deceived.
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 05:57:23 PM »

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 06:02:26 PM »

Politicians are just a bunch of lying Btards. They took OTP funds a few years to fix other roads. OTP funds where restricted by law to stay for TP improvements.  So much for laws when it comes to politicians

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

Politicians are just a bunch of lying Btards. They took OTP funds a few years to fix other roads. OTP funds where restricted by law to stay for TP improvements.  So much for laws when it comes to politicians

They don't lie.  They just deceive.

I fail to see the difference.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »

They don't lie.  They just deceive.

I fail to see the difference.

Well they're both honorable traits. In Whitmer's case, she both lied, and deceived. She lied when she said it was ridiculous that she would raise gas taxes 20 cents to fix the roads. Her deception was to give the impression that gas taxes aren't going up, or at least, not by much.
Once elected she gives us, not 20 cents, but 45 cents.

Hello.

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. Period. If you like your current health insurance, you can keep your current health insurance. Period.       
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 07:26:02 PM »

It appears as if her strategy is to fail, and then blame the Republicans for everything.

There is no way this budget gets done on time.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:57 PM »

I still don't understand the logic that Pensions should be tax free while 401K plans should be taxed.

I guess it is a generational thing.

If you have a pension - you don't want it taxed.  If you have a pension you probably don't care if your kids 401K gets taxed.

Again - not logical that one should be tax free and the other one shouldn't be.

Never understood the bugaboo about the tax either.  Hmmmmm.... income you made in Michigan and never paid tax on (i.e. free Democrat handout) and now you complaint that you have to pay taxes (your fair share of taxes).  Oh I hit it on the head... Democrats hate paying their fair share when there is a hard working stiff able to do it for them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up