MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > China Trade War

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: China Trade War  (Read 212 times)

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
China Trade War
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:55:30 PM »

Headlines: "Trump has declared a trade war against China". This is untrue. China has been at war with the United States, and much of the rest of the world for decades. All Trump has done different from our previous Presidents is that he has acknowledged the fact, said enough, and started pushing back, big time. The fact China has been eating our lunch for decades isn't a big mystery. The U.S. has lost millions of jobs to the Chinese over the past decades.

Further, trade restrictions, their high tariffs on our goods and our really low tariffs on theirs, exacerbates the trade imbalance. While Chinese stuff is cheap to Americans. the few American made products sold in China, after tariffs, are hugely expensive. Is it any wonder that we buy a ton more of their stuff then they buy ours?     

Folks, China became the economic power house it is today largely with our dollars and our jobs? Before,  when Clinton, Bush and Obama were running things they acknowledged there was something of a trade  imbalance (only around $ 500 billion a year), but if we played along with the Chinese they would like us and become another responsible member of the world community, in time. As for our lost manufacturing and other jobs to China we had to understand it's a global economy. Plus you get cheap stuff at Walmart. If you went from make $ 27.00 per hour in a factory to $ 12.00 an hour stocking shelves in Kroger there's little satisfaction.

I'm sure others will chip in on this topic and I think it's a discussion the whole country needs to address.

John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: China Trade War
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:31:30 PM »

I think Trump just acknowledged how badly we were losing the Trade War that has been going on since Bill Clinton sold out to his friends from Wal Mart.

Ross Perot was right about there being a giant sucking sound.  He just didn't identify where the sucking was coming from.

I still don't like Tariffs - since they are just another tax on me - but I acknowledge someone needed to try something - and that is about the only play he has.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:17:17 PM »

I think Trump just acknowledged how badly we were losing the Trade War that has been going on since Bill Clinton sold out to his friends from Wal Mart.

Ross Perot was right about there being a giant sucking sound.  He just didn't identify where the sucking was coming from.

I still don't like Tariffs - since they are just another tax on me - but I acknowledge someone needed to try something - and that is about the only play he has.

MN:

Bottom line is you don't want to pay more, but. But what? It ain't going to get better going along to get along. MN. I'm thinking you haven't looked into this matter much. honestly neither have I. But the bottom line is we have been getting hosed and I'm ok if we take a hit to ultimately win the war. If the farmers are taking a disproportional hit, I'm ok with taking some dollars from me to ease their pain. We're all in it together. And maybe we could buy a
little less Chinese stuff to support the cause.

Before I saved, I looked the post over. I had to admit it was quite a rant. Mission accomplished. 
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:50 AM »

I have a few union friends that always chastised me for buying China stuff.  They were the type to go without if the only product was made in China.  Not so anymore.  The fight got so bad that it wore them down to and they also bought china stuff because there weren't any choices.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:54:09 PM »

I have a few union friends that always chastised me for buying China stuff.  They were the type to go without if the only product was made in China.  Not so anymore.  The fight got so bad that it wore them down to and they also bought china stuff because there weren't any choices.

I was going to say - what choice do you have - when that is where stuff is made now?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:49:53 PM »

I was going to say - what choice do you have - when that is where stuff is made now?

Blue2 and MN, what you say is true. Over the last 3 decades we allowed China into our markets while we had virtually no access to their markets. Their products entering our markets were cheap, really cheap. Our products were expensive in China, but that didn't
really matter as their people didn't have any money anyway. As for a trade imbalance,
we lose, hugely. Over time the folks just gave up seeking to avoid Chinese made goods.
They're everywhere!

Well they aren't everywhere if you look. For example go down the cleaning products, laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store. Check where the products are manufactured. If they say distributed out of Cincinnati, they ain't produced in the U.S.A. If they were they'd say so.
Further, I tried to Google one of these "distributed out of Cincinnati" products to see where they were manufactured. Thirty plus minutes later I still didn't know. Why should it be so hard to find this out? My guess is they didn't want me to know and paid good money to make sure I didn't.   

John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:10 PM »

the company I worked for made building products. We were required to put country of origin on every product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up