MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Gee, more rain....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gee, more rain....  (Read 491 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Gee, more rain....
« on: June 16, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »

Monsoon here again.  Fields are nasty what isn't fitted and planted won't be this year.  I'd say at least 75% are fallow and weedy right now and the monsoon isn't going to help with germination of the ones that are planted (during the brief window we had last wwwk).

My hayfields look like forests but no cutting hay when the ground is wet because it won't dry down.  Forage is at an all time high, small squares of 1st cut mixed are 10 bucks a square and rounds are pushing 40-50 (if you can get any that is).  I look for the bale and round prices to increase even more, especially if the weather patterns continue.

Expect grocery prices to spike way up this fall.  Cereal grains are scarce, no forage means cattle producers (meat) will be selling off or going out of business) and in the Midwest it's worse than here.

Your money won't be going far at the grocery store this fall that is a certainty.  I can importation of corn and cereal grains as well as meat coming later this year.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Gee, more rain....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:30:36 AM »

Hopefully Trump doesn't pizzoff the Canadians to much and we can buy some stuff from them at a reasonable price.  He might even wave the tariffs.

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:13:55 PM »

I'm so glad it's raining, my mud was beginning to dehydrate
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »

Finally stopped here    Looks good next few days

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 06:37:35 PM »

+1
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:49:58 AM »

+2.....

We have nice green ponded water in the fields around here.  Seems as though the Lake Erie green algae has migrated....

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 09:37:30 AM »

I've noticed pools of water standing in the fairways of Bedford Hills as I drive by.  Can't say I've ever noticed that before..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »

85 day corn had to be in by the 15th of last month and beans needed to be in by the 15th of this month.  neither happened except on very high, well drained ground.  I see some farmers late planted corn and beans but that has bad implications, especially if we get an early frost and if we get heavy snow which is pretty likely if this weather pattern we are now having hangs around.

You cannot take off corn in 2 feet of snow and beans would be under it anyway.

Haven't touched my hayfields at all Just too wet.  On the plus side my garden is thriving.  Every onion I planted has sprouted, everything else is coming along except my taters.  Those are just peeping.  Taters don't like a lot of moisture.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »

My garden of just tomatoes, peppers and some cukes doing very well.  I've side dressed twice with some 5-10-5.  I do have a raised bed so the drainage has been good.  I dug out for a patio a few years back and instead of hauling the black dirt away I spread out over my garden area..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »

Don't forget to spray the cukes with Sevin.  I need to do the zukes, they already have blossoms.  We got cuked out 2 years ago and  my wife canned a whole bunch.  Just taters, onions zukes and brockley and caluflower this year.  No sweet corn.  Probably make cider in the fall.  Looks like I'll have a bountiful crop of apples.

We hang the onions and taters in mesh bags in the root cellar and eat them all winter.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »

I use 46 granulated urea.  The granules are clay coated so they release slowly.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »

thanks for the reminder on the cukes.  I had forgotten.  I did hit the peppers.  couldn't believe something would chew on pepper leaves.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »

thanks for the reminder on the cukes.  I had forgotten.  I did hit the peppers.  couldn't believe something would chew on pepper leaves.

A Mexican...lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up