MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > I think we are screwed this winter big time

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think we are screwed this winter big time  (Read 406 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
I think we are screwed this winter big time
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »

I'm sure you all know that the State of Michigan and the MCRC didn't come to terms on their joint winter road clearing / salting contract so the MCRC is no longer plowing and salting Sate trunklines (like M50, 125. Telegraph, 151 etc., or Interstates like I75 or US23, just local roads and subdivisions.  Not that they ever did a good job because they were always fairly poor anyway, but at least they made a half arsed effort.

Not now.  MDOT contracted it out to a Spanish company.  I don't have all the sordid details yet but as of today, they have 3 drivers for the entire county and there will be no trucks assigned to the west side of the county at all.  The Spanish company is going to operate out of Newport so be prepared, have plenty of food socked away because when it snows big...and it will, you won't be going anywhere.

Let the fun begin...

I've always maintained that the MCRC blew but compared to what is coming, they did a bang up job.  Not so this year...

Be prepared, it's coming.

Glad I live a mile from Lenawee County,  We will be just fine going to Adrian to shop but going east or south to anywhere, probably not.

Gonna be a 'Winter Wonderland'
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: I think we are screwed this winter big time
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:34:49 AM »

I do believe the MCRC did a good job on the state highways.  I didn't travel often on the minor state roads but they were always passable.  I always thought the MCRC should also clear our local main roads so residents could move around the area and at least the school busses could travel safely.  They did a horrible job on those roads.  And the subdivisions never saw a plow and they probably won't under the new agenda..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »

Better invest in a plow for your pickup truck if you plan on getting out after a major snow event because the new contractor won't be plowing you out.  In fact, you'll never see them.

Like I said, as of yesterday, they had exactly 3 qualified plow truck drivers for the ENTIRE county and that includes 75, 275, 23 and all the trunklines such as 125, 24, 151, Lewis and many other roads.

As of November 1st, all MCRC employees will report to the main office on Telegraph for their 'work' assignments.  The 'salt shed and garage on Ida West will be, for all practical purposes abandoned.  I understand the salt shed has been divided in half, with a wall.  Half for the MCRC and half for the Spanish company but no personnel will be assigned there.

Interestingly, the property in Newport that was sold to MDOT for the Spanish contractor to house the equipment and operate out of was owed by none other that Randy Pierce (MCRC Director) and the real estate transaction was brokered by none other than Jason Sheppard.  Isn't amazing how deep corruption runs in Monroe County and how the fat cats keep getting fatter and the citizens keep getting screwed.

The beat goes on at the voters expense.

Like I said, better invest in a snowplow or plan to spend a lot of days toasting your feet in front of the fireplace and I wonder how many snow days there will be for the kiddies because the school buses won't be able to fetch the kids because the road will be impassable.  I bet a bunch

I heard (cannot confirm) that the MCRC wanted an additional million from MDOT to continue the contract which, I believe, was over the top but at the same time, isn't the MCRC supposed to serve the citizens of Monroe County instead of their own self serving interests?

As I find out more sordid details, I'll post them.... ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »

If you are in doubt as to how stupid (greedy) the MCRC is, I suggest you read the minutes of the last meeting...

We (Monroe County) are in for it this winter.  When we have a snow event, better plan on staying home or make an appointment with your local body shop because your vehicle will probably get smashed by some idiot trying to navigate on unplowed unsalted roads.

Remember, owing a 4 wheel drive (might I say might) get you to your destination, job but keep in mind that a 4x4 cannot stop any better than a 2wd and then there are the other 'idiots' out there that will cream you.

Read and weep.....

http://www.mcrc-mi.org/mcrcmeetings.html

Check out the October 28th MEETING PACKET

These clowns are screwing the citizens big time...,  That means you bubba.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:54:02 PM by SidecarFlip »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 01:57:05 PM »

The contractor that was awarded the County contract don't have a clue, currently has 3 drivers, one mechanic and no garage to service the trucks.  Their answer to plow maintenance is 'do it in rest areas'.  You have to be joking...  No joke.

Hang on to your shorts, it's coming and very soon.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »

I guess the MCRC is going to show us for bitching about their service and wanting our roads taken care of rather than the states roads.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:08:33 AM by blue2 »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »

Living here for over 30 years, I have never considered the road commish service to be good or at least the value for taxes paid wasn't good but in reality it was EXCELLENT compared to what is coming and coming SOON.

Gonna be a disaster for anyone who has to venture out in snowy conditions, especially in I75, 223 and any trunk line like M50.  They won't be plowed or salted or anything else for that matter.  Sure local bergs like Petersburg will do the city streets like Monroe will do theirs, but once past the city limits, it will be 'no man's land'.

I am so glad I don't have to go to work everyday anymore.  I can sit at home and watch the news and sell all the crashes.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

No problem.

Take the back roads that the MCRC is going to have lots of time to plow now.

They will be fantastic.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:42:52 PM »

No problem.

Take the back roads that the MCRC is going to have lots of time to plow now.

They will be fantastic.

There is more and it's not good.  MCRC is sequestering all their employees to the Telegraph Road main office so there will be no trucks or personnel to man them in any of their outlying locations.  That means they will have to come from the Telegraph facility to handle outlying areas.  In fact, MCRC will be selling the entire Ida West Road property now..  and pocketing the funds just like they did when they sold the front piece.  They operate like a private entity instead of a taxpayer funded entity.

Corruption at it's finest.

Cannot wait to see the Spanish outfit Ferroval or whatever their name is on the side of the road changing plow cutting edges in the snow.  Will be very interesting, especially as they only have one mechanic to handle everything.  What a fuster cluck and guess who bears the brunt of it?

Good job MDOT.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

Never been fantastic in the 30 years we have lived here so I don't imagine they will be now.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »

Never been fantastic in the 30 years we have lived here so I don't imagine they will be now.

Don't worry.

If you have a medical emergency they will just dispatch Lifeflight to your house.

Just make sure you have a big enough area cleared for them to land.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up