MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > First Merchants - first impressions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Merchants - first impressions  (Read 367 times)

nails

• Hero Talker
First Merchants - first impressions
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »

Now that the switch has been made, I have to say I'm not a happy customer.

I've had several issues with the new bank and their customer service.
And we've only just begun.

I had trouble with their web page. "Finding locations" won't work for me.
I used my laptop and my iPhone. Neither would work and when I talked to customer service, they told me I needed to use a different browser. I told them, I use Safari.  They wanted me to take a screen shot and send it to them. I did and they wrote back it was a problem at my end and not theirs.  Researching a little on the internet, I found that 504 error was a problem with their end and the server.

An important thing to remember is that the 504 error is a server-side error. That means the problem exists with the website you’re trying to access, and not with your computer. That’s both good and bad news. It’s good news because there’s nothing wrong with your computer, and it’s bad news because there’s usually nothing you can do to solve the problem from your end.

While discussing this, they asked me for my acct. number. I asked them where to find it on their web page, and they told me it wasn't anywhere to be found on the web page. OK.

Today, I was making sure I was enrolled in e-statements. Couldn't find my statements on account page. Talked to customer service again.
First person I talked to ... phone disconnected.

Called back, different CS person ... she said I had to go into the branch and prove who I was.
I gave her my account number, and told her I just wanted generic info, no specific numbers.
She said she couldn't help me until I went and proved my ID at branch.

I called back and got third CS person. Told her I was just trying to find my statement and didn't know where to look. She put me on hold and got 4th person.

He seemed like he knew a little more,
and finally got to the point of telling me, it wasn't there.
He wrote a repair ticket to get 2 out of 3 statements on line like they should be.

I looked up First Merchants / complaints.
BBB says they aren't members. Had one complaint though.
Yelp had several reviews and every single one was 1 star out of 5.
Saw several other problems including DOJ settlement for "red lining".

I don't think this is going to be a good move from MB-T. 
It's a shame MB-T reputation will take a hit.

When we get back into town after winter, I'm sure we'll be changing banks.
I've got accounts at Huntington, and I'll give them a shot.

Wondering if I'm the only one with problems, or are others having trouble.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: First Merchants - first impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »

I had problems with a major bank in Toledo years and abruptly closed out and signed on with a credit union.  From my perspective I don't see why anyone with just ordinary checking and debit/credit cards doesn't do business with CU's.  I get online banking, free checking and free use of the bill pay system as long as I opt out of paper statements and use the online version.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: First Merchants - first impressions
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »

I thought MBT's website was kind of shitty.

Now I realize how good it was....  compared to what I have to use now.

Only a matter of time before I get the business pulled from there.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up