MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Wrapping it up at MonroeTalks

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrapping it up at MonroeTalks  (Read 365 times)

Paula Wethington

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • The Monroe News
Wrapping it up at MonroeTalks
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »

Greetings MonroeTalkers:

You may remember me as one of the original moderators/ admins on this forum. MonroeTalks launched in 2006 as part of a bundle of digital projects we introduced at the time.

We have decided that Dec. 15, 2019, is our last date for this site to be active.

Please find and follow us on the following locations:
Our website: www.monroenews.com
Our mobile app, downloadable via The App Store and Google Play.
Screenname MonroeNews on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn and YouTube.

Newsroom digital team leader member, reporter for The Monroe News
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MonroeNewsPaula

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Wrapping it up at MonroeTalks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »

So this month they are closing Monroe Talks, and in a few years they will close the once great paper known as the Monroe Evening News.

RIP.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »

Well that's better than what the Detroit News and Free Press did with some of their forums.  One day they just pulled the plug without notice.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »

I want to thank the Monroe Evening News for taking 175 to print an Obit, and then not copying the written word correctly - mis-spelling names.

What did I pay for again?  Apparently not for you to get it right.

Again - the Monroe Evening News is destined to close with this crack staff at the helm.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »

What I find amazing is, the Adrian Telegram stays a good newspaper while the MN has been sliding toward obscurity for a while now and has the same management for both.

We subscribe to both print editions plus the Blade and the Dundee Independent.  Of all of them, the MN is the poorest paper far as editorial content and news reporting. 

It appears to me at least that all the MN does as far as news coverage is copy word for word from the AP wire but then spell words wrong.  I sometimes wonder of the staff is actually literate or not.

We are about a step away from cancelling the print edition entirely, all it's good for as of late is coupons on the  Sunday paper and the cartoons.  I can read AP stores in the Blade if I want to, don't need the MN for that.

Too bad you are cancelling the forum.  I think the loss in participation reflects your loss in general reaadership as well.

This once was a busy forum, albeit a politically polarized one which reflects the political divide in the county in general.

It's my opinion that the loss of participation directly stems from your (Paula Wethlington) lack of constructive input.  The forum failure rests solely with you anfd no one else.

Been fun.

Flip
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »

Shocked it took this long.   Forums are dying in general but this one has been particularly dead.   At least without this forum you'll have more time to shoot YouTube videos out the office windows and argue with people about whether they should have to pay to see the days-old content you post on Facebook.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »

It boggles my mind that the papers management thinks that this formula works.

Fill pages with day old AP stories.

Have a few "columnists" that weren't talented enough to write for their high school papers and have never had an original thought of their own write a column regurgitating the Liberal world view they learned at their local third tier public university from a Prof that never worked a day in their lives.

Publish minimal local coverage - and then usually after some other source put it out there.

If you do cover a local story - said "columnist" demonstrates their lack of journalistic skills by not even telling you the basic who, what, why, when and where in the story.

Then - on top of all these strengths - they won't even let you look at their lousy content without you signing up to pay them.

No thanks guys.  I don't waste my money on useless stuff.  I'll make sure to tell my grandkids about the good old days when Monroe even had its own newspaper.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 07:42:59 PM »

You covered that quite nicely.  You did forget the horrible proof reading.  I have to say that I find more mis-spelled words and lousy punctuation in the MN than in any other rag we read.

Finally, the MN's advertising rates are way over the top considering their circulation.  Even the Blade is cheaper with 10 times the coverage.

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »

Th th th that's all folks...
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 08:59:00 AM »

We need a forum, blog forum with no PG 13 restraints on it.  I find that tedious. But then I find this forum tedious at times too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up