MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > $20 theft from piggy bank could land man in prison for 9-1/2 years.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: $20 theft from piggy bank could land man in prison for 9-1/2 years.  (Read 3255 times)

General Buster

• Hero Talker
  • EAT BBQ!!!
    • J's Smokehouse
Re: $20 theft from piggy bank could land man in prison for 9-1/2 years.
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 09:26:39 PM »

Yeah next we should hang speeders for putting so many lives at risk because the lord knows they could have killed somebody   *:)
good point.  i guess you should just get penalized for the crime you were busted on, but what he did is low.
jsmokehouse.com

Kitt

• Hero Talker
  • Live well. It is the greatest revenge.
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »

good point.  i guess you should just get penalized for the crime you were busted on, but what he did is low.

Well, that's the thing. He was busted for the crime of felony burglary and that charge is the one that carries a max of 9 1/2 years in jail. Again, the sentence isn't determined by how much or how little was stolen. It's the circumstances of the crime that set the time.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.

doubtfire

• Super Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »

I remember that a few years back I had my purse sitting on the table and I dozed off. A friend of my daughters' went in my purse and took $95 out of my wallet. Funny she left maybe, $10 or $15 in the billfold. So I was told that (she was street-smart) if she would have taken $100 it would have been grand larceny. So wouldn't that mean that grand larceny was a felony?  She got away with it, by the way. There were other people in the house at the time, and I couldn't prove it anyway. But $20, unbelievable!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »

The penalty is still too harsh for the crime that was committed and that’s part of why the United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

General Buster

• Hero Talker
  • EAT BBQ!!!
    • J's Smokehouse
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:56 PM »

Well, that's the thing. He was busted for the crime of felony burglary and that charge is the one that carries a max of 9 1/2 years in jail. Again, the sentence isn't determined by how much or how little was stolen. It's the circumstances of the crime that set the time.

when i first read that i made assumptions about the man.  "if he is going to break in and steal from his own kid, what else has he done?" which made me think they should throw the book at him.  9 1/2 years seems stiff for 20 bucks, but that is what the charge carries.  my guess is that it will be plead down, but the guy is still scum.
jsmokehouse.com

Dadof7

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:50:56 PM »

The penalty is still too harsh for the crime that was committed and that’s part of why the United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

So you don't think that they should just chop his hand off at the wrist with a cleaver?

:'(

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 09:57:34 PM »

Our criminal justice system needs an overhaul but the majority of people that respond on this forum would prefer that every transgression should result in evisceration.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

General Buster

• Hero Talker
  • EAT BBQ!!!
    • J's Smokehouse
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:21 PM »

Our criminal justice system needs an overhaul.
i'll agree with that.
jsmokehouse.com

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »

I will bet the guy does less than a year.
Then the taxpayers will pay for his counseling and rehabilitation.
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »

I will bet the guy does less than a year.
Then the taxpayers will pay for his counseling and rehabilitation.

That may have been true in the old days but now its incarceration only.

Punishment is the name of the game and it’s generally blamed on the budget.

Also the general perception is that psychiatric help is unnecessary because the prison system can handle those people just as well.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »

That may have been true in the old days but now its incarceration only.

Punishment is the name of the game and it’s generally blamed on the budget.

Also the general perception is that psychiatric help is unnecessary because the prison system can handle those people just as well.

Prisons are full of these nonviolent offenders, How many more prisons should we build?
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 01:42:23 AM »

Prisons are full of these nonviolent offenders, How many more prisons should we build?

We already need to build more and the demand is only going to grow unless something changes.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 01:43:52 AM »

We already need to build more and the demand is only going to grow unless something changes.

I "assume" that would mean "more" taxes ??? ??? ???
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 06:31:32 AM »

if someone breaks in my house i wouldnt actually call it non-violent.
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »

if someone breaks in my house i wouldnt actually call it non-violent.

It would be a property crime…..many so called home invasions are improperly labeled because the offender had no intention of facing anyone inside.

The harsh penalty advocates succeeded in having every breaking & entering perpetrator charged with the more serious charge when the place is occupied…….and most likely whether it’s actually occupied or not.

I doubt anyone is ever charged with B&E anymore.

The very term “home invasion” evokes someone that kicked in a door in an attempt to get to the people inside but the majority of the time that’s not the case.

One would assume common sense would prevail with either a plea bargain or with an appropriate sentence but history has shown that the United States has the highest incarceration rate in the world for a reason.

The Republicans continue to ruin this country and there’s no end in sight. :(

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up