MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Getting Started & Site News > Welcome to Your Talk! Get started here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to Your Talk! Get started here.  (Read 29382 times)

jcastellese

Re: Welcome to Your Talk! Get started here.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 09:32:37 AM »

MonroeMom:

The column you're referring to is intended (I believe) to imply the tone of the message. When you post a topic, or even a reply, there's a drop-down menu labeled 'Message icon:'. For example, on this reply, I've chosen the emoticon named 'Sad'.

Not many people (including myself) have used this feature, so the message index doesn't have much variety. Maybe this isn't a necessary feature (like MomEm said)--something to think about.

MomEm, daniels11435:

It's true; we don't have a chat room. It was brought up during development, but (and this is just my opinion) it would seem to disrupt the forum conversation, as those in the chat room might discuss topics and anyone not present (especially those who wouldn't be able to use chat rooms at work  :'() might miss something. For example, if there was a heated topic, and the protagonist and antagonist were both online, they might get all their discussion out in a chat room and the forum topic would sit idle.

Then again, it's something to consider again, and I'll make sure to mention that people were calling for it.

Another benefit of knowing if someone is online? You can send private messages and know that the person should get it right away.

jcastellese

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 02:10:26 PM »

I've removed the Message Icon column from the main listing. You can still choose an icon for your messages that will appear before the subject when viewing the interior of the message.

Thanks for your input!

jcastellese

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 02:49:49 PM »

Another quick update and explanation:   

When you view your own forum profile (by clicking the Profile link at the top of the forum), you see your own email address. However, anyone else who views your profile will see hidden in place of your email address.

Because this has caused some confusion, I've added a note that explains it on the profile.

Only the profile owner (when logged in) and administrators can view email addresses.

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Thank you so much for that info!

MomEm

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »

Hello,
I was checking the old forum and I noticed on the Ever-Changing Monroe topic that there are still posts being made in the old forum. The last dated entry was for 25 June, 2007 and going back to when the new forum started. (unsure of date) I Just thought that I would let you know.
Also, after reading some of the entries, maybe you could consider adding a spell checker.
Thank you.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

jcastellese

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 08:33:41 AM »

Edit: The problem of posts on the old forum has been solved. Registration was still being allowed, so people who registered since the forum was made read-only were able to post. This has been corrected. Thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 02:30:39 PM by jcastellese »

Jack Kelly

• New Talker
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 12:07:45 PM »

Interesting to read about all the business places in monroe where i went to years ago  ...surpriseing that no one mentioned any of the places on winchester st. on the east side of town..places i went to in the 50's were: neighborhood inn, leo's tavern,busy bee cafe,chrystal cafe, club 65..ernies pool hall,,smoke house pool room,east side pool hall and the harmany house restaurant...majestic bar on corner of 3rd and winchester...most, if not all these places are long gone..just wondering if anyone else might have memories of these places..I Live in central fla. now but have a lot of memories in monroe , carleton and rockwood...would like to hear more about the east end of town....Jack Kelly,at...jack71@wildblue.net...thank you

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »

Jack Kelly or administrator, you might want to cut and paste those comments in the corresponding topic.

Also, I think removing the message icon from the main listing was a good idea. 

Another question for the administrator-
Do you have a quick primer on how to participate?  Some people who might want to participate but are newer to using computers for this purpose could use an easy explanation of 'how-to' tips.

And as far as streamlining, what about removing some of the options when you are posting messages?  For example, subscript and superscpript?  Inserting images?  Insert code?  Teletype?

I would love to see a spell checker and grammer checker.  Some posts without any punctuation or capitals are very difficult to make it through.

Keep up the good work!

MomEm
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:00:52 AM by MomEm »

AttilatheHoney

• New Talker
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

Jim's Towing Targets the Disabled for Laughs

Was this thread deleted?  What happened?  I am unable to retrieve this thread.  Like another lister mentioned, I read it, responded, had to leave and when I returned to read it again, it was gone.
Everyone has a right to an opinion.  Nobody has a right to be wrong with the facts.

jcastellese

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »

AtilatheHoney:

Please see Dan Shaw's response here.

AttilatheHoney

• New Talker
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

AtilatheHoney:

Please see Dan Shaw's response here.

Thanks!

But can the author of the original posting delete the entire thread?  That's what happened in this case.
Everyone has a right to an opinion.  Nobody has a right to be wrong with the facts.

jcastellese

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »

I did some testing and found that users are able to remove a topic if they started it, even if it has replies. This would appear to be the explanation.

I've disabled this feature. You may still delete your responses or topics with no replies, but once someone else has commented, you may not remove the entire thread (though you could still edit the content of your comments).

Thanks for the help ironing this out.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:04:45 PM by jcastellese »

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2007, 04:24:36 PM »

Will discussion threads have expirations as they did on the Monroe News forums? Or will they live forever, for all practical purposes?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »

Why indicate whether a person is a “New Talker” or an “Active Talker”?

I would think someone could figure that out just by looking at the number of posts tabulated near the authors’ name.

Perhaps you could provide reporter tags to your employees when they’re fishing for contributions to a story (much like your “administrator” tags)
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

AttilatheHoney

• New Talker
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »

While reading the New Restaurants thread I saw an advertisement at the bottom of the thread that took me aback.

If this is supposed to be a family oriented/ PG rated site, then how come you have this as one of your advertisers?

https://www.cheaplubes.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=811

No, this is NOT a website for cheap automotive or mechanical lubrication.  This link takes you to a product - the "Tantus Silicone". 

M.E.N guys - talk about LMAO!  That was way too funny!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up