MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Renters Security Deposits

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Renters Security Deposits  (Read 5016 times)

11monroe22

• New Talker
Renters Security Deposits
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:08:23 PM »

Hi I have movesd out of an apartment complex in Monroe.  Its been 45 days and I havent received my security Deposit.  I gave them a 30 day notice like i was supposed to.  They didnt find any damage or i never been late on rent.  What action can I take.  Can I call the Michigan attorney general, or a newscast like "Ruth to the Rescue"?  or do i need to take them to court and i have to pay a fee to file suit.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
Re: Renters Security Deposits
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »

sheesh, I don't know.  Do they have a time period before they have to give you your money back?  Wish I could help you.  :-[

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »

call them first then see what happens.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:39 PM »

sheesh, I don't know.  Do they have a time period before they have to give you your money back?  Wish I could help you.  :-[
yes they have 30 days and its been about 45 days.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »

yes they have 30 days and its been about 45 days.

So, what does your former landlord tell you when you ask for the deposit back?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »

call them first then see what happens.

i visited them on tuesday the 8th  and they said they sent the security out on monday the 7th.
as of today the 13th i havent got it, my address is still monroe and it dont take 5 days for a check to travel to the same city i dont beleive.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:20:59 PM »

So, what does your former landlord tell you when you ask for the deposit back?

they told me they sent the security deposit out in the mail on monday the 7th.  but i havent got it yet.  today is the 13th.

cc

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »

This happened to me several years ago.

I ended up having to take the complex to small claims court.  It did cost me a fee to file, but when  won the case the fee had to be paid by the complex.  I think it was less than $30.00 back then.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »

This happened to me several years ago.

I ended up having to take the complex to small claims court.  It did cost me a fee to file, but when  won the case the fee had to be paid by the complex.  I think it was less than $30.00 back then.

can u give me that info.  so i can get the case started especially if i can get the fee back and the court costs.  please ...thanks, oh also how long did it take to get a court date after filing?  thanks

cc

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »

can u give me that info.  so i can get the case started especially if i can get the fee back and the court costs.  please ...thanks, oh also how long did it take to get a court date after filing?  thanks

Just go down to the court house and inquire where to get the paper work.  It was so long ago.....like 15 years ago.  I think it was automatic, or maybe the judge ordered that the complex pay the fee, I really dont remember.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »

they told me they sent the security deposit out in the mail on monday the 7th.  but i havent got it yet.  today is the 13th.

Call their bluff.  Go back to their offices, and tell them you haven't received it yet.  Tell them to cancel that check, and issue you another one on the spot.  If they balk at that, then they're lying about sending it in the first place.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »

Call their bluff.  Go back to their offices, and tell them you haven't received it yet.  Tell them to cancel that check, and issue you another one on the spot.  If they balk at that, then they're lying about sending it in the first place.

I been thinking about doing that.  I'll wait till the mail runs tomorrow,  if it dont come I'll go to the office and ask them exactly that if they can issue me a check on the spot..  Im wondering if they really sent it.  Thanks.  I agree with you 100%... its like I been thinking "exactly" what you stated here.... wow and i thought i was just paranoid, hum.  Thanks

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »

I been thinking about doing that.  I'll wait till the mail runs tomorrow,  if it dont come I'll go to the office and ask them exactly that if they can issue me a check on the spot..  Im wondering if they really sent it.  Thanks.  I agree with you 100%... its like I been thinking "exactly" what you stated here.... wow and i thought i was just paranoid, hum.  Thanks

Also ask them to tell you what address they mailed it to.  They should have a file on you and if they are good record keepers they will have a photo copy of the check.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »

I should mention that mail does get lost all the timeā€¦..several times a year we receive our neighbors mail and others as well.

LANDLORD AND TENANT RELATIONSHIPS
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-act-348-of-1972

Michigan Department of Attorney General
Lansing Office
G. Mennen Williams Building, 7th Floor
525 W. Ottawa St.
P.O. Box 30212
Lansing, MI 48909
Main Number (517) 373-1110
Consumer Protection (517) 373-1140
Toll Free  (877) 765-8388
Charitable Trust (517) 373-1152
Franchise Registration (517) 373-7117
Facsimile (517) 373-3042

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

tampachicken

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »

Some states allow you to file for double or triple the amount that is owed to you from the landlord.  Some states do this in order to keep landlords from routinely keeping deposits, and forcing people to file small claims in order to collect... Otherwise, some landlords may "take" the gamble just to see if you will fight and win your case, but if they "lose" and have to pay double...that gives them incentive to follow the law ... just something that you want to know before you file....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up