MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Renters Security Deposits

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Renters Security Deposits  (Read 5017 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Renters Security Deposits
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »

I once had an old landlady that had a checklist of fabricated damages just so it would eat up my deposit.

I was young and dumb so she got away with it but I’ll never forget it.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »

I once had an old landlady that had a checklist of fabricated damages just so it would eat up my deposit.

A tip to anyone renting....  take your digital camera before you move in and take lots and lots of pictures...   preferably with a camera that "date stamps" the photo...   put 'em on a cd and save 'em until you're ready to move out....
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »

Also ask them to tell you what address they mailed it to.  They should have a file on you and if they are good record keepers they will have a photo copy of the check.

Thats weird you say that because when I went into the office ato ask about my security deposit  they asked me for my address again.  Im wandering if I should ask for a copy of that check?  They may get offended?  i don't want to get them angry I just want whats due me.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

Just go down to the court house and inquire where to get the paper work.  It was so long ago.....like 15 years ago.  I think it was automatic, or maybe the judge ordered that the complex pay the fee, I really dont remember.

Which courthouse and where at?  Is it the County Courthouse or the City Courthouse?   Thanks

cc

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 08:37:40 PM »

A tip to anyone renting....  take your digital camera before you move in and take lots and lots of pictures...   preferably with a camera that "date stamps" the photo...   put 'em on a cd and save 'em until you're ready to move out....

Thats exactly what I had done.  I took pictures of every little thing I could find wrong - copied it and gave it to the office manager and had her sign a slip stating I ahd done so.  Then when we moved I turned on the tv to the weather channel or something like that with the date and took that picture first then took pictures of the apartment.  I even took pictures of the same things that were wrong when we moved in to show the problem was still there and not worse, or that it had been fixed.  

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

I should mention that mail does get lost all the time…..several times a year we receive our neighbors mail and others as well.

LANDLORD AND TENANT RELATIONSHIPS
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-act-348-of-1972

Michigan Department of Attorney General
Lansing Office
G. Mennen Williams Building, 7th Floor
525 W. Ottawa St.
P.O. Box 30212
Lansing, MI 48909
Main Number (517) 373-1110
Consumer Protection (517) 373-1140
Toll Free  (877) 765-8388
Charitable Trust (517) 373-1152
Franchise Registration (517) 373-7117
Facsimile (517) 373-3042

Thanks I have this information I wasnt sure if it was updated

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 08:40:04 PM »

Which courthouse and where at?  Is it the County Courthouse or the City Courthouse?   Thanks

There is not really a city courthouse....   it is just city hall...     all court proceedings are at the County Courthouse...

You may be able to download the forms online from the state website.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

Some states allow you to file for double or triple the amount that is owed to you from the landlord.  Some states do this in order to keep landlords from routinely keeping deposits, and forcing people to file small claims in order to collect... Otherwise, some landlords may "take" the gamble just to see if you will fight and win your case, but if they "lose" and have to pay double...that gives them incentive to follow the law ... just something that you want to know before you file....

I think they thought I would forget becasue when I came into the office last week they were surprised.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »

When I went into the office they complimented on my cleaning to apartment very well, And I beleive they have 15 days to mail me a receipt of damages they havent done that.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 08:46:24 PM »

I own rental property.  Here's the skinny.

By law, I have to return my tennants security deposit within 30 days after they have vacated the premisis.  After that, according to law, I must pay interest on the deposit at the current prime rate.  I always do a checklist of each room as to condition, the appliances and what is in the property prior to the tennant taking possession.  The tennant initials my checklist as do I.  Upon termination of the lease, I inspect the property with the tennant and go over the checklist to see, if any damage was incurred other than what I consider normal wear and tear.

I carefully screen my tennants and I've never had a problem with malicious damage and I've never refunded less than the total security deposit within the alloted (by law) time.

By the way, I have a very nice 3 bedroom brick ranch with central air and attached 2 car garage for rent.  Will be available just as soon as I paint the interior and clean the carpets.  Has all appliances, hardwood floors and sits on 2 acres.  No smoking and no pets.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »

There is not really a city courthouse....   it is just city hall...     all court proceedings are at the County Courthouse...

You may be able to download the forms online from the state website.

I found this link

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/monroe/default.aspx?PageId=381

Im wandering if this will answer some of my questiions

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »

Here's a link to a four page pdf that tells how to file a claim in Monroe County, Michigan

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/Monroe/uploadedFiles/Small%20Claims%20Suit.pdf
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

11monroe22

• New Talker
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »

Here's a link to a four page pdf that tells how to file a claim in Monroe County, Michigan

http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/Monroe/uploadedFiles/Small%20Claims%20Suit.pdf

Thanks a million.  I just hope it doesn't come to this.   I really dont want to go to court.

stevens_monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »

Hi I have movesd out of an apartment complex in Monroe.  Its been 45 days and I havent received my security Deposit.  I gave them a 30 day notice like i was supposed to.  They didnt find any damage or i never been late on rent.  What action can I take.  Can I call the Michigan attorney general, or a newscast like "Ruth to the Rescue"?  or do i need to take them to court and i have to pay a fee to file suit.
go back to the complex and speak with the manger.
“Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option”

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 07:39:17 AM »

I’m not sure of the admissibility of digital images as legal evidence.

It wouldn’t have helped in my case because the landlady charged me for almost every window screen in the house.

I never opened the windows and was hardly ever home but each screen had some kind in tiny hole in them for some reason.

Whenever I rented other spots I tried to photograph the screens but it never turned out well.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up