MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > The Old Paper Mill Area

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Old Paper Mill Area  (Read 9597 times)

pdog

• Active Talker
Re: The Old Paper Mill Area
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »

Oh pdog....   this thread is going to the dogs....

Anyway, I did read somewhere recently (sorry, memory is 2nd to go)...  that as they have been digging around the old Smurfit site they now believe there is more of the battlefield further west than had been previously thought....   which would take in that NW corner of Dixie/Elm.

Generally, the quickest way for lots of good paying jobs is new industry.  In most cases, industrial sites are going to be outside the city.  Just too many complaints from the nearby residents.  We in Monroe are no different and we have seen several  incidents over the past few years.

Yes, Heidelberg College received a grant to do some more Archeological digs.

As far as the housing situation I personally would rather see recycled land from outdated industries used for homes than using good farmland to promote sprawl so some yahoo can have a place to store all his toys!

As far as jobs are concerned service jobs are better than no jobs. Face it Michigan has along way to go before the good ole days come back.

GodfroyGuy

• New Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »

I am still chuckling that a battlefield as a National Park will bring tourism to Monroe.  Where are they going to stay?  At the old Howard Johnson Motel?  What a dive!!!!!  It is sad that the nicest hotel we have in Monroe County is the Holiday Inn Express on North Dixie Hwy.

Isnt it time that the citizens of Monroe County get rid of the old regime and their Cracker Jack ideas and put some bright talent into these important offices?  Monroe has a bright future, so lets put bright individuals in these important roles?

It is time we all vote...........and we should ALL give a crap!

Semper Fi

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

I think that they need to work towards making the area a National Park. Don't make a mistake by covering up history a second time.

Now that they have torn down Northside Consolidated and both Union Camp Paper Plants. I think Southside Consolidated is still standing in the Orchard. If so, why don't they tear that down and build something. Tear down the old Maeco between Second and First Streets and build something. Both those are wasting space and are also an eyesore.

riversbend

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »

when I saw they built townhomes at the old steel palce on Front/Roessler and homes off Elm/Michigan area, I would be scared with all the toxic stuff that went into the ground there. Maybe i missed the debate, having been gone, but I would never buy a house knowing what had been there previously.

With the townhouses at Front/Roessler, I saw that they put up a new section - right next to the railroad tracks! OMG can you imagine the noise!! :o

I totally agree!!!

riversbend

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »

As far as the old paper mill - I always wanted to go building spelunking there- It looked like some haunted factory from a tv movie :)

The people who worked there, at least some of them, say it was haunted by soldiers. I guess in tunnels under it or the basement or something.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 07:02:25 PM »

princess...i agree...and you should see the size of the tomatoes and cucumbers they grow in that area!!!!

the cukes are a real nice flourescent green color!  ;)

the old mill was once river raisin paper company...then changed to union camp...then years later it became smurfit.
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Whiskers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:30 PM »

when I saw they built townhomes at the old steel palce on Front/Roessler and homes off Elm/Michigan area, I would be scared with all the toxic stuff that went into the ground there. Maybe i missed the debate, having been gone, but I would never buy a house knowing what had been there previously.

With the townhouses at Front/Roessler, I saw that they put up a new section - right next to the railroad tracks! OMG can you imagine the noise!! :o

I totally agree!!!

I still cannot understand why those townhouses were built like they are. The 2 levels are backward. Could you imagine carrying groceries and everything upstairs and having to run downstairs everytime you needed something outside or the doorbell rang?
"I am not interested in money. I just want to be wonderful."
Marilyn Monroe

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »

I feel the battlefield park is pretty important for Monroe's place as a regional historic landmark. I also think it is a bad idea to develop over top of it just because we happen to be in something of a slump at the moment. Let's try to think long-term here.

First, a battlefield park would get people into the downtown area. Further it would really set Monroe apart from the likes of Ann Arbor and Toledo. Having things like this makes people want to live here, and when people want to live here, businesses will want to locate here.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

old timer

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »

I agree with doing everything possible into making it a National Park. I worked in the old paper mill and never thought of it much being a battlefield site at the time. Wish I would have known more about it, I could have been searching for some historical artifacts. It does make you wonder why the people in charge at the time decided to build a mill on top of a historical battlefield. Probably was all about money.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2007, 12:17:41 AM »

The building across from the Smurfitt plant (the brick one-story facing the river) would make a nice brewery...
your mom goes to college.

For_Esmé

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 12:58:09 AM »

The building across from the Smurfitt plant (the brick one-story facing the river) would make a nice brewery...

Agreed. It's time we put Monroe on the map. Why not with one of my favorite past times?

Hmmm... what to call some of the flavors?

River Raisin Ale?
Old Frenchtown Stout?

"People seem to enjoy things more when they know a lot of other people have been left out of the pleasure." ~ Russell Baker

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe."  ~ Johann von Goethe

"Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation.
Deep space is my dwelling place,
The Stars my destination." 
~Alfred Bester

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2007, 01:08:44 AM »

Agreed. It's time we put Monroe on the map. Why not with one of my favorite past times?

Hmmm... what to call some of the flavors?

River Raisin Ale?
Old Frenchtown Stout?

Custer's Last Stout
Ale of 1812
Muskrat Blonde Ale
River Raisin Lager Festival

:D

your mom goes to college.

pdog

• Active Talker
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2007, 09:18:20 AM »

Unfortunately that building was bought by the Monroe Historical Society. But yes that would make a great  Bar/ Restaurant!!!

zard0z

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2007, 09:38:12 AM »

Hmm, now that's a good idea...How nice it would be if Monroe had it's own micro-brewery...

masc0t

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2007, 11:26:08 AM »

Yes, having a micro-brewery there would be a great idea!!  Nice view, on the river, the place has a lot of windows.   They could build a deck over the water.  Very cool....

Another beer name:  Nightmare on Elm Street Ale

Someone mentioned the old mill being haunted.......I also heard that.  Too bad it's gone now because I'd love to go check it out.  Regardless, I'm sure the soldier will still wander the grounds at times. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up