MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?

Poll

Should drug laws be looked at, and the punishments tweaked?

Abolish all drug laws from the books.
- 8 (23.5%)
A small slap on the wrists for simple non-violent possession.
- 14 (41.2%)
Keep them as it is.
- 8 (23.5%)
All drugs should have stiffer penalties.
- 3 (8.8%)
Bring back prohibition!
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: September 02, 2007, 09:18:16 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?  (Read 7789 times)

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
Re: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »

Laws prohibiting any drugs do violence to the concepts of self-ownership and individual liberty. Such laws are invalid.

Please clarify... do you mean that if all laws prohibiting the sale, possesion and use of drugs were eliminated, thereby by making drug use legal; that it would/should by extension be legal for a minor child to use drugs?
Always with the children.

Would you let a child for whom you're responsible eat nothing but butter and corn syrup?

If a person is capable of understanding and voluntarily accepting the consequences of drug use, they can use whatever drugs they want, whatever their age.

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »

Right, because a tablespoon of butter is just as dangerous as a tablespoon of opium.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Some of the examples you people give are lame.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »

Laws prohibiting any drugs do violence to the concepts of self-ownership and individual liberty. Such laws are invalid.

Please clarify... do you mean that if all laws prohibiting the sale, possesion and use of drugs were eliminated, thereby by making drug use legal; that it would/should by extension be legal for a minor child to use drugs?

Would you let a child for whom you're responsible eat nothing but butter and corn syrup?

If a person is capable of understanding and voluntarily accepting the consequences of drug use, they can use whatever drugs they want, whatever their age.

Yes, it seems that my questions return often to applying your statements to everyone, as you imply. Just checking if I am misaaplying what you are actually meaning.

Why wouldn't I feed nothing but butter and corn syrup if the child can accept the consequences of my interaction with them?

Then the same would be applied to a minor child's legal purchase of alcohol and weapons such as a gun?

To use your reponse to a recent post (and pardon the unintentional pun...)

"your in the weeds."
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »

Right, because a tablespoon of butter is just as dangerous as a tablespoon of opium.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Some of the examples you people give are lame.
It's not about equating amounts or concentrations. It's about the concept of doing something to yourself, while knowing and accepting the potential consequences.

A very young child usually doesn't know that eating nothing but butter and corn syrup can be harmful, just as a very young child usually doesn't know that excessive use of just about anything, including opium, can be harmful. Do you see, now, how the example is analogous?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:46:29 PM by ML »

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »

We would have zero chance passing any laws allowing all drug use so perhaps we really should try to legalize marijuana or at least decriminalize it.
I also feel that since 18 year olds can risk their lives fighting for this country that they should be allowed to drink alcohol. That alone would prevent many of our young people from having negative experiences with the criminal justice system.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:28 PM »

We would have zero chance passing any laws allowing all drug use so perhaps we really should try to legalize marijuana or at least decriminalize it.
I also feel that since 18 year olds can risk their lives fighting for this country that they should be allowed to drink alcohol. That alone would prevent many of our young people from having negative experiences with the criminal justice system.

I agree in the sense that if you can defend our country you deserve more rights, but there is a lack of maturity that I worry about in terms of drinking and driving.

Besides, MIPs aren't too much to get through...

Maybe we should just make 21 the legal military age?

eaglepride

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 10:11:40 PM »

I think the Indians in South Dakota should be able to grow hemp.  ;D

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »

Lowering the drinking age to 18 doesn’t give anyone a free pass to drink and drive.

They really should allow the Indians to grow hemp.
There are huge fields of very tall marijuana plants growing on the side of the freeway in Iowa right now.
They have huge buds on them and look like a “High Times” readers dream but the hemp plants are really very low in the active ingredient, THC.
No buzz from that stuff.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

eaglepride

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »

Lowering the drinking age to 18 doesn’t give anyone a free pass to drink and drive.

They really should allow the Indians to grow hemp.
There are huge fields of very tall marijuana plants growing on the side of the freeway in Iowa right now.
They have huge buds on them and look like a “High Times” readers dream but the hemp plants are really very low in the active ingredient, THC.
No buzz from that stuff.
So why is the government refusing to allow the Indians to grow it and make a living?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »

Maybe nobody in the government knows about Iowa or perhaps they don’t want the competition.
I do know that I saw what looked like a military guy jogging through an asphalt path in the middle of the field heading toward the freeway and yet there are no buildings, houses or vehicles around for miles.
That guy has to have some kind of underground bunker in there somewhere.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

doubtfire

• Super Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 10:55:26 PM »

Legalize marijuana and tax it, it has a two fold benefit, money for the state and less small time criminals in the jail systems which are over crowded...!
 When we were at the Jazz festival and art fair, there was a man (older gentleman) and he asked us to sign a petition for legalizing marijuana. Imagine that person on the streets of Monroe?  I was surprised!  I had seen several people walking around with the petition in Ann Arbor, but Monroe?
   Well, I am so sick of all the government control they have  over us, when they can do just about anything and then get away with it. (Like Scooter Libbey being pardoned, for an example.)  So maybe I don't agree with this but I signed it anyway, and so did my husband.

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »

Yes, it seems that my questions return often to applying your statements to everyone, as you imply. Just checking if I am misaaplying what you are actually meaning.
Young children (who are entirely different than the legal concept of "minors", which is arbitrarily based on age) are not usually capable of completely understanding and voluntarily accepting the consequences of their actions. That is why when one becomes a parent, one is responsible for one's offspring, until they are capable of being responsible for themselves. Until a child has that capacity, parents act as the responsible party on behalf of the child, so yes, the concept applies to everyone, with a parent as proxy for a child who is not yet completely responsible for himself.

Why wouldn't I feed nothing but butter and corn syrup if the child can accept the consequences of my interaction with them?
You've altered the context of the example. I stipulated that you're responsible for the child. If a person is capable of understanding and voluntarily accepting the consequences of their actions, they don't need you to be responsible for them.

Then the same would be applied to a minor child's legal purchase of alcohol and weapons such as a gun?
Yes, as long as they're capable of understanding and voluntarily accepting the consequences of their actions. But again, be careful with vague labels like "minor" and "legal".

To use your reponse to a recent post (and pardon the unintentional pun...)
"your in the weeds."
Hardly. That was directed at a person who chose to take umbrage at my choice of analogy, rather than address the issue at hand.

It's no one's business but your own what you do with yourself.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:20:22 PM by ML »

Massagetherapyworks

• Elite Talker
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 11:08:12 PM »

In my opinion, there should be much stiffer alcohol laws and much lighter marijuana laws. There are masses of drivers, everywhere, under the influence...killing and injuring every day. Alcohol is ruining people's, and their families, lives...and they're getting younger and younger. And they're disgusting and violent.
While I don't condone it, I don't often hear of someone who's high on pot causing massive auto accidents. They don't seem to beat doors down, or shoot the fast food server. Let's roll those babies into pot packs just like cigarettes and make some money for the USA farmers. It would be a great change-over for the tobacco farmers, although you could easily grow your own...maybe that's why the GOV doesn't want to legalize it. Just like having the electric co.'s develop solar energy...they won't til they can figure out how to charge us for it.
Years ago my dear mom asked me about pot...I told her it's like this...Three guys walked up to a locked door, with no way of turning back. The guy on LSD said 'Let's float through the keyhole", the guy on alcohol said "Let's break the door down!", and the guy on pot said "Let's wait for someone to come and unlock the door".
I lived in Ann Arbor when there was the $5 ticket for posession of less than an ounce of pot. There didn't seem to be any huge problems then. Let's bring it back! ...even though I don't smoke it anymore...

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 12:13:06 AM »

“Three guys walked up to a locked door, with no way of turning back. The guy on LSD said 'Let's float through the keyhole", the guy on alcohol said "Let's break the door down!", and the guy on pot said "Let's wait for someone to come and unlock the door"

I like that analogy.  ;D

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:57 AM »

The Netherlands hasn't had problems since they legalized small amounts of marijuana

You can't grow your own, but you can smoke it in coffeeshops. I personally never touched the stuff, but got a big whiff of the smell when walking by one in Amsterdam!

Small amounts is not a big deal. Big amounts (as in poss w/intent) is a problem.

But as a poster before me said - alcohol is a MUCH bigger problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up