MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?

Poll

Should drug laws be looked at, and the punishments tweaked?

Abolish all drug laws from the books.
- 8 (23.5%)
A small slap on the wrists for simple non-violent possession.
- 14 (41.2%)
Keep them as it is.
- 8 (23.5%)
All drugs should have stiffer penalties.
- 3 (8.8%)
Bring back prohibition!
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: September 02, 2007, 09:18:16 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?  (Read 7729 times)

the nosh

• Hero Talker
Re: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »

Small amounts is not a big deal. Big amounts (as in poss w/intent) is a problem.

amy...where do the people with the "not a big deal small amounts"...get them from?? usually from the big amounts person that is a problem!!  ;D

the bottom line is...it should be legalized/decriminalized.
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Dadof7

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 10:45:56 AM »

What is interesting about marijuana laws is where they actually came from... the mid-20's when Dupont was interested in finding a way to monopolize the fabric industry with their new invention, Nylon.

The hemp plant actually has quite a history prior to the 1920's... and if it wasn't illegal, there is a good chance that we'd have MANY things that would be made from hemp.

Hemp makes excellent paper, rope, clothes, and the oil derived from hemp could be used to make alternative fuels for transportation.  If legal, we wouldn't need to worry about all the deforestation, because marijuana grows so rapidly by comparison to trees and fossil fuels.

However, due to the government's desire to TRY to protect people from themselves, we'll most likely never know all the things that would in fact be better if marijuana/hemp were legalized.

My idea:  Take all the child molesters and violent criminals that are incarcerated, and make them grow marijuana on government fields.  Then the government can produce it for next to nothing, and sell it to American Citizens for a 1000% mark-up.  The sales and taxes created by this idea would be enough to help pay down our national debt, feed the hungry, and house the homeless.

Ask any doctor, and they'll tell you:  marijuana is less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco... but the lobbyists won't let you know this important information.  We all know tobacco can and does kill people.  We all know that alcohol can an does kill people.  I have never seen or heard of anyone that died from smoking a joint...

When a person drinks and gets drunk, and then makes the mistake of driving... all they want to do is see how fast they can go and how much attention they can draw to themselves.  Whereas, when a person smokes marijuana... all they wish to do is eat some junk food, watch the best crappy movie that anyone else has ever seen... and sleep.

Oh, and when was the last time you saw someone commit a violent crime because they were so high on pot?

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »

My idea:  Take all the child molesters and violent criminals that are incarcerated, and make them grow marijuana on government fields.  Then the government can produce it for next to nothing, and sell it to American Citizens for a 1000% mark-up.  The sales and taxes created by this idea would be enough to help pay down our national debt, feed the hungry, and house the homeless.

Dadof7 I was tracking along with you until you got to this point.

If you can open the phone book to the yellow pages and find a private business already doing it, you should keep the government out of it. Why do you want to compete with farmers that have the infrastructure in place and could use the alternate revenue source?

Griff
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:59:16 AM by Griff Crammond »
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 01:18:09 PM »

I was going to reply to someone here..

Ok what I want to say is..

Does anyone have any gum?

Ever wonder why left is called left and right is called right?

Man am I hungry...

riar

• Super Talker
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:24 PM »

I would much rather live with, near, or know people that prefer to smoke a joint than drink anyday. Drinking and drunks have ruined more lives than any marijuana smokers. Instead of road rage, spousal abuse, and obnoxious and sometime dangerous intentions through drunkeness, with marijuana we would have people going about 45 mph on the highway, if they managed to leave the house at all, zero spousal abuse because no one would remember the details that set off the argument, and the abuser wouldn't bother to get off the couch to do anything. If there must be addictions, then let them roll joints 

Besides what about the pharmaceutical companies that PUSH drugs on anyone that enters a doctor's office? Now that looks like a conspiracy to do harm. Tell me the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't love to see everyone on earth on some kind of pill? If we don't control that, we have no business controlling the other. And what control? I think the DEA is just a way to funnel money to friends.

Mayor LaGuardia had it right way back in the 50's, "We cannot control a weed that can grow just about anywhere!" Legalize it. The number one reason prohibition was overturned was because the laws just could not be enforced, yet we carry on with these marijuana laws for 40 some years now, while one of the biggest hits on TV is "Weeds."

We're a bunch of hypocrites. When Ronnie Reagan got his DEA together to crack down on cocaine, the U.S. was the largest exporter to South America for the chemicals needs to process it. Now if that isn't the right hand doing something completely different than the left I don't know.

gefiltefish

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »

Mayor LaGuardia had it right way back in the 50's, "We cannot control a weed that can grow just about anywhere!" Legalize it.

[/quote]

Mayor Fiorello Henry LaGuardia of New York died on September 20, 1947.

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »

The major problem with legalizine weed is the goverments ability to control the cultivation and thus the taxation Booze was simular until the government figured how to tax it,, the biggest problem with the ability to tax weed is anybody can grow it basically anywhere,, from your basement to your attic.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »

I wonder what the two people that voted for stiffer penalties were thinking.
Maybe they’re in construction and hoping that more prisons would be built.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »

there is already too many small time dealers sitting in prison. People don't rob and break into your house to buy beer,, if you could buy the stuff walmart people might stop hurting others for it. Can you inagine a old granny in line with a dime bag next to her depends

afveteran88

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »

I happen to work in a prison and I here about these drug sentences daily. Almost all the criminals know what the penalty is for any drug crime. My simple standing on this matter is "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time" The only part about drug laws that has to looked at is the conspiracy aspect. For example. If I sold you one pound of weed 5 years ago and you get picked up today for possesion. You then rat to the police everyone you ever bought weed from. The police now come get you and figure you've now been selling weed for at least the past five years at a pound a week. Now you are being charged with a huge crime and you may have stopped selling 5 years ago. Was it wrong that you sold in the first place? Yes But should the police now be able to pin 5 years worth of drug sales on you? No. Some things do need to change.
"If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

My simple standing on this matter is "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"
Like the crime of sitting in the white people seats on the bus?

Was it wrong that you sold in the first place? Yes
No, it's not wrong. Drug sale, possession and use are matters of personal preference.

So many issues like this can be answered by looking at them from a small scale perspective. Ask yourself: would you get together with a few of your neighbors to forcibly prevent some of your other neighbors from smoking some plant? I certainly wouldn't, and neither would you, and if you you tried, you'd deserve the thrashing you'd receive.

There is nothing magical about scaling up the number of people who get together to compel other people to comply with their preferences that transforms mere preference to "right". Whether it's some neighbors or millions of voters, both groups are forcing their preferences upon people.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up