MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?

Poll

Should drug laws be looked at, and the punishments tweaked?

Abolish all drug laws from the books.
- 8 (23.5%)
A small slap on the wrists for simple non-violent possession.
- 14 (41.2%)
Keep them as it is.
- 8 (23.5%)
All drugs should have stiffer penalties.
- 3 (8.8%)
Bring back prohibition!
- 1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: September 02, 2007, 09:18:16 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?  (Read 7781 times)

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »

Just askin'.
your mom goes to college.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
Re: Poll: Should the drug laws be lowered/removed?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:53 PM »

Just askin'.

WARNING: RANT IS COMING....

We have two border control agents in US prison serving the equivalent of murder sentences for having shot an illegal alien (in the butt) who was admittedly carrying drugs into the US. This admitted 'mule' attempted to do so a second time following the first attempt.

He is wandering free in his home country, moving freely across our border with illegal substances, while the agents are serving time.

My President had an opportunity to commute the sentences of the two border agents but instead commuted the sentence of a man involved in the outing of a CIA operative.

My President has ignored the pleas of the families of the agents, the Congressmen from border states and has instead listened intently to the government of Mexico and the pleadings of known drug mule.

END OF RANT...

I think we should enforce the laws we have.

Peace,
Griff
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:31:27 PM by Griff Crammond »
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »

Griff, I need some facts/documentation before I openly believe those are the exact details.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »

Griff, I need some facts/documentation before I openly believe those are the exact details.

Here is the first link that came up in a search...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52545

I can't believe you haven't heard of this previously.

Peace,
Griff
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:52:33 PM »

According to that article, they didn't follow protocol.  They violated two key areas: pursuit of the suspect by border patrol without supervisor approval, and shooting someone in the back.

I'd be mad at the people who made these laws instead, and the peers who convincted them.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, however....

During the trial, supervisors admitted knowing of the pursuiit and admitted knowing of the weapons discharge.

The agents testified that illegal alien attempting to smuggle drugs into the US was turning and pointing at them as if he had a weapon. They followed protocol by firing.

The illegal alien admitted (from the saftey of Mexico) that he was attempting to enter thye US illegally, that he was attempting to smuggle drugs.

That link is not the only source of information--take some time and follow-through with more information from reliable sources.

Thread hijack over,

peace,
Griff

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »

Laws prohibiting any drugs do violence to the concepts of self-ownership and individual liberty. Such laws are invalid.

eaglepride

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 11:54:31 PM »

I do think they should let the Indians in South Dakota grow hemp.  ;D

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »

Laws prohibiting any drugs do violence to the concepts of self-ownership and individual liberty. Such laws are invalid.

Please clarify... do you mean that if all laws prohibiting the sale, possesion and use of drugs were eliminated, thereby by making drug use legal; that it would/should by extension be legal for a minor child to use drugs?

peace,
Griff

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 11:47:44 AM »

I am not voting because you have no choice for reviewing ALL drug laws and rewriting them.  I will not vote no change because some of them need to go.

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »

Not only did this illegal bring durgs in once he did it on at least one other occasion while awaiting to testify against the border patrol agents!!

There are several theroies regarding this event.
1) He was an agent working for the DEA or some other government agency that was using the dope money to support a covert operation.
2) The U.S. Justice Dept. sought him out for testimony to test the viability of the NAU. Under pressure from the White House.
3) He was possibly an agent of the government of Mexico.

None of these theories matter. The agents should be released and all those involved in this persecution, not prosecution charged and tried.
End the so called "War on Drugs" and save the U.S. taxpayers a ton of dough.
If you want to stop drugs entering this nation you can under the Constitution. Employ the power of the U.S. military and the Coast Guard and the National Guard. It is the duty of the government to provide for the security of the nation, well, do it. Not with some fake war that gets a lot of people killed and has NO hope of ending anything.

Ördög

• Hero Talker
  • Az ördög cimborája
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 12:06:56 PM »

I think that eliminating most marijuana laws, or even legalizing it would be a great start. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but I do know that a lot of the people in our prisons and jails are there because of non violent marijuana charges. Just think about how many tax dollars could be saved if the marijuana users weren't being pursued, arrested, booked, jailed, and using up court time and costs. And I'd be willing to bet that the Monroe County Jail wouldn't need to send people to other jails if they sent all the pot heads home.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

zard0z

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 12:39:45 PM »

Legalize marijuana and tax it, it has a two fold benefit, money for the state and less small time criminals in the jail systems which are over crowded...!

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »

Legalize marijuana and tax it, it has a two fold benefit, money for the state and less small time criminals in the jail systems which are over crowded...!

I've often said that. If you tax it and make sure that 100% of the tax goes towards education scholarships, you can have your stoners subsidizing the kids who want to go to the University of Michigan (as long as they're drug free.. otherwise they have to pay their way)

Win/win. It's a deterrant for crime (who wants to have to pay for college AND weed?), and schools get a MASSIVE boost of funding (seriously probably at least a quarter of Monroe's population smokes weed on a regular basis... deal with it)
your mom goes to college.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »

I vote for the decriminalization of set, small amounts of marijauna.  I am afraid it would never happen in Monroe tho......that would be liberal and progressive and piss some of the folks off that don't get thier leaves picked up by the local governments.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up