MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > PARENTING TODAY WHATS THE ANSWER?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PARENTING TODAY WHATS THE ANSWER?  (Read 7905 times)

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
Re: PARENTING TODAY WHATS THE ANSWER?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 11:06:54 PM »

It's kids that never got disciplined that become the sociopaths, IMO. Kids need consistent boundaries and respect for those boundaries.

True, but spanking isn't the only form of discipline...agreed?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:27 AM »

Lady Arbella,
That was a great response. Some people are blessed and then you get that one kid that has to test those boundaries only to find that there are indeed consequences to their actions.

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »

I got spanked. I turned out okay.

I get sick of hearing the screaming kids who BOSS their parents around at stores..UGH!

riversbend

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »

There are no answers, unfortunately kids don't come with instructions. Sending my kids to their room, or time out, or taking something away from them just didn't work. They would find something else to amuse themselves and totally forget why they were sitting on the couch or in their room, etc. in the first place.  My kids only got a spanking when I felt it was necessay, and it wasn't that often.  I am happy to say they grew up to be responsible adults that have never been in any kind of trouble.

My sister got married and moved away and started a family. She vowed she would never spank one of her kids, or slap their hand. She child proofed her house when she started her family. She decided talking to her kids, and time outs was the answer.  Long story short, by the time her second child was 4 and had frequent trips to ER due to his older brother being an undisciplined wild child, child protective services had been called by the hospital because they thought the child was a victim of parental abuse.  Talk about scaring my sister to death. From that point on, her kids got spanked when necessary.

MonroeMom

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »

It's kids that never got disciplined that become the sociopaths, IMO. Kids need consistent boundaries and respect for those boundaries.

True, but spanking isn't the only form of discipline...agreed?

True. I use spanking only as a last resort for bad behavior and as an immediate reprimand if she's doing something that could seriously hurt her. And we're talking a swat or two that hurts her feelings more than her bottom!

IMO, spanking and time out is required to "back up" disciplinary words. That's what helps create the respect of boundaries--knowing that there is a consistent unpleasant consequence that will be enforced.

For me, punishment, whether its a swat or time out, is very difficult because I just HATE to make my little girl cry. I just hate it when she forces my hand and I have to punish her. However, it is my job and one of my primary responsibilities as a parent to make sure she behaves well most of the time and can fit into society. That is very, very difficult to do. Thank God I'm older and wiser and more patient now. I can't imagine how I would have dealt with this task when I was 25 and wild.

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 10:44:26 AM »

Spanking is not the only form of punishment.  I was never spanked growing up.  I remember when I was old enough I had to write.  I once wrote the same long sentence 1500 times because I could not keep my mouth shut.  I do think there are times where spanking is warranted.  I also think if a child is throwing a fit somewhere then remove him or her from the situation.  I have had to do this a couple of times and once my son realizes he is missing out he straightens up and listens to me.  If a parent choses one form of punishment over the other than so be it.  In the end what matters is the finished product.  What kind of a parent you are rearing.  I will not spank anything but the bottom because I feel anything else is just intended to humiliate the child. 
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »

Funny how things turn out..
It's 2007
You can spank a wife    ;)
You can spank a monkey  :o
But you can't spank a kid?   :-\

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

only if its a billy goat farmer ted...only if its a billy goat!!  ;D
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Uncle Rico

• Super Talker
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »

Funny how things turn out..
It's 2007
You can spank a wife    ;)
You can spank a monkey  :o
But you can't spank a kid?   :-\

LOL!!  That's great!

Seriously though, a little ***-whipping (not straight out beating) would do kids a little.  I can't remember kids acting the way they do now when I was a kid.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up