MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Luna Pier gun range: Another perspective

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luna Pier gun range: Another perspective  (Read 5180 times)

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
Luna Pier gun range: Another perspective
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:08:53 AM »

As I read Dean Cousino's article dated August 16 "Luna Pier closes gun range again" I felt dizzy for all the spin that was put on the issue. Not sure whether Mr Cousino attended the meeting or interviewed sources, but he told only one side of the story.

He said, "Council agreed not to allow any shooting practice at the site ... until insurance representatives okay reopening the site". Concil never took a vote, so how could they have agreed. If Mr Cousino attended the meeting he forget to report that 4 of the 6 council members strongly argued with the Mayors action to close the range.
Mayor Todd Deal never asked them, "What is your pleasure?". So to set the story straight, Mayor Todd Deal closed the range not council!
He closed the range without the councils input in the first place over a year ago. He only has authority to do such a thing if there is iminent danger, Mr Bodies report of a bullet nearly missing his head is widely disputed amoung members of council and the community.
Mr Cousino did not report that Mr Wayne Blank, President of the Monroe Sporting Club spoke to council about the safety of the range. He said that the mound exceeded the NRA standards. He also said that fencing was not necassary as many gun ranges did not have fencing, only Mr Hyde disputed that.

I am the woman who brought the matter up before council last Thursday evening. Here is what I really said to council;

According to Wayne Blank, President of the Monroe County Sportsman's Association, there has never been an incident of injury at the rifle range in the decades it has been open. It is my understanding that risk management inspected the range and made two suggestions:
1.  Place dirt on either side of the mound
2.  Post signage
As soon as these two suggestions are completed, the range will be within the safety standards of the National Rifle Assocoation.
Police Cheif Winkleman also suggested tha range be fenced.
This council turned the project over to the Police Cheif because it was apparently being ignored by those chairing (Rick Murray) the carefully-chosed committee. Cheif Winkleman has prepared signs at cost to himself, and will post them as soon as the dirt wings are in place.
The rifle range, when open, is open by permit only, and is NOT open to the general public. Our police force decides who can use the range and when they can use it
Mr Bodie commented at the last council meeting about FBI agents using the range without the Police force's knowledge. This information was somewhat erroneous...it turns out these individuals were from Homeland Security, using the range by an open invitation given by our Police Cheif almost a year earlier. Personally, I am glad that Homeland Security knows where we are and they are completly welcome! They were asked to check in next time to avoid any confusion.
While there has never been an incident  at the rifle range, I feel the one thing we can all agree on is that anything that can be done to make the range even safer should be done. I have confidence that these things are being are being taken care of, and that our police force will make prudent decisions as to its use.
From my observation there is an undercurrent to this issue. It involves political beliefs and power struggles which have no bearing on the safety of the rifle range or with the will of this community.

Mayoe Deals closing of the gun range is not nor has ever been about the safety of the community. It is about his own agenda to exert his power! The council voted to take the issue out of the committee hands and placed the responsibility solely on the Police Cheif, where it belongs, and it is Mayor Deal who has delibertly worked against Cheif Winkleman to keep the range closed!
The minutes from the previous council meeting stated that Mayor Deal would discuss the progress of the gun range with Cheif Winkleman. He did not talk with the Cheif at all, instead he called risk management behind the Cheifs back and had them come out to inspect the  range yet again! Who is NOT the team player here?
Mary Liske

1conservative

• Hero Talker
Re: Luna Pier gun range: Another perspective
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:30:06 AM »

If what you say is true then should we trust the reporting of the Monroe Evening News?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:15:47 AM »

Reporters are human and frequently make errors but I’ve also seen stories (in other publications) twisted completely out of context perhaps just to make the story more interesting. (TV news is often guilty of stretching the truth or providing one sided slants geared toward sensationalism.

Most people think that it must be the truth if it’s in print but you really can’t believe everything you read.

Thanks for setting the record straight (or at least telling your side of the story).
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Dime Store Cowboy

• Hero Talker
  • Molôn Labé!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:24:22 AM »

If what you say is true then should we trust the reporting of the Monroe Evening News?
Spoken like a true Democrat???

1Rep,
Which side of the fence you on???  Dont you know that they write this horse pucky to entertain their readers??
Everything in the media today, I dont care if it is PlayBoy,  is bias and carries a liberal evasion!!!

Why, Where and When is Dean Cousino writing about the flipping gun range in Luna Pier???
Someone, is pressing buttons over and over.  One who processes any kind of intellect were to put two and two together could see Mary "AGAIN" is on the money!
Hell, I even missed this article and can seen through the smoke and mirrors!

All these people that Mr. Cousino has mention all say: " Oh but we like to see the range stay open" yet behind the scenes it is a different story.

What is this garbage???: "bullet from the range nearly missed his head once"!
What are we saying here that it hit him??? More then once???
This is a joke right???
I almost got hit by a meteor last sunday night also!!! It came close enough I could see it!

Kids playing behind the range??? When?? By the burn pile??? I dont think so...
I have never seen this as I am sure Chief Winkleman hasnt either!!!

Since when does the Mayor draw lines or call the shots alone??? Sounds like a dictatorship or a money game?? Eh??
Again, 80% of the people that live in this city had no idea that there was even a range until someone(s) brought it to the attention of the residents because they are looking for something lucrative.

I think this city better focus on the water treatment plant or the dead gas station instead of stirring up controversy over something as small and out of the way as a rifle range that has been here for eons!!

Mr, Cousino, Whom ever is telling you this horse pucky next time tell them to take a hike!
Or better yet, perhaps you should have a sit down with Mary Liske or City Council.

Never the less...I would like to think that you Dean, and/or you're contingents have better topics to report on for the residents of Monroe to read!!!

~DSC~
SUPPORT THE NRA

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:45:06 AM »

Er, isn't the vast right wing conspiracy right now that most media (except Fox News, natch) is liberal?
your mom goes to college.

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 11:45:29 AM »

In the article it says, "There's a huge difference between them and our range," the councilman said. "There are kids running around that burn pile ... if someone's hurt, we're stuck for liability."

He has kids running around the burn pile, but at the meeting he seemed more worried about the city's liability of the gun range, which is rarely used?  Police Cheif Winkleman explained to council that when he issues permits he considers what is happening in the area and if cars are parked by the boat launch etc... he will not give permission to use the gun range.  He also said he checks up on the range when in use to make sure nothing has changed. Sounds to me like Councilman Hyde has his priorities askew. Where is his concern for the safety of the burn pile, mulch pile, and water access to the children. He has NO plan to improve these situations, maybe we should close them all down too?
Mary Liske

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 07:49:20 PM »

TBrooks your point was brought up at the council meeting by a council member and the Cheif of Police.  There are more hazards than the gun range open to passing kids.  All of it needs to have a risk study, but for some reason the gun range is the only focus, why?  If you believed what the article said you would think that everyone at the meeting was on the same page.  I'd like to know who told those lies to MEN. If the Mayor had asked for a council action to close the range I do not believe he would have gotten it.  I wish he would have it would put this to rest.  They should change the name from Council meeting to Mayor meeting.
Mary Liske

LunaPierCook

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:57 PM »

For today's article in the Monroe News, "Council, insurance agents to discuss gun range safety", reporter Dean Cousino spoke with Luna Pier Police Chief Jerry Winkleman. The Chief told me just now there was a lot from that conversation that wasn't included in the paper. One of the Chief's statements which was not included, that I found to be most interesting is that, as his department is the one in control of the range and has been since 1990, and as there have been zero incidents at the range, contrary to what Mayor Deal has said publicly, the Chief has never considered the range to be closed.

Anyone from Luna Pier ... Don't give in to the wrong Deal ... ;D

Matt (formerly ML)

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:32:31 PM »

Er, isn't the vast right wing conspiracy right now that most media (except Fox News, natch) is liberal?
The main stream media is populated almost exclusively with hype whores. The term "liberal" has very little  meaning in regard to right and wrong any more.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 09:40:49 AM by ML »
Pages: [1]   Go Up