MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know  (Read 6988 times)

LunaPierCook

Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:36:17 PM »

Yesterday, the Monrow News reported that, "Luna Pier city Councilwoman Nola Young has been notified that she owes the city about $1,100 in back taxes and has a month to pay the debt ... Last week, the council approved sending her a formal letter notifying her that she has 30 days to pay the business and property taxes, which were due July 31. Failure to do so could mean removal from office under the city charter, Mayor Todd Deal said."

While the article states Ms. Young was not available for comment, here's what you learn when you simply ask Nola about this, which I did when she opened the store for the day just now ...

2/3rds of these taxes were already paid days before this article was printed yesterday. She also intends to pay the rest on Wednesday Aug. 22nd. Beyond this, however, Nola will be closing Sweet Temptations permanently on Monday, August 20th as her husband has been sick for some time and, within the past month, rejected a new kidney, requiring more care from her now.

Sweet Temptations has been for sale for some time. A possible sale has fallen through ... she had intended to use the sale money to catch up the business taxes. As it is, she's using her husband's disability for part of these taxes which is why the remainder has to wait until Wednesday.

She said that, when she paid her taxes, Mayor Deal said he'd consider them paid "when the check clears", giving Nola the indication he thought it already was a bad check.

Meanwhile, Nola explained to me that Wysock's runs the concession at the Luna Pier beach house, isn't a resident of Luna Pier, pays $350/month (only in the summer months) + electrical ... and pays absolutely no business taxes to the city of Luna Pier.

She has told me today that, to find anything out from her, all you need do is ask.

Earlier today, regarding the reports about the gun range here in Luna Pier, Chief Jerry Winkleman specifically told me that, if you want to know anything about it, all you need do is ask him. I let the Chief vent for some time this morning about the misinformation out there after he'd called me over when I was driving by his house.

Yes, I'm liske4mayor's husband. Yes, I'm damn proud of that.

To anyone wanting real info ... all ya' gotta do is find the right person and ask. Sometimes, they'll even call you over and just tell you.

Really ... it's that simple.

Edited to add: I did specifically ask Nola's permission to write this, and received that permission.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:41:41 PM by LunaPierCook »

Dime Store Cowboy

• Hero Talker
  • Molôn Labé!
Re: Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:06:42 PM »

Well thats a gas!
Now for there next trick watch em pull a rabbit out of their hats!
Last one to leave shut out the lights!!!

~DSC~
SUPPORT THE NRA

Corky

• Super Talker
  • I thought we were friends!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »

Although unfortunate, the law is the law. No one ever comes around to ask me if I have any problems paying my taxes. Nor do they care. As callous as it sounds, this is the same kind of situation.

Sounds like an awful lot of political jockeying to me...on both sides!
Guess Not!

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 06:11:30 PM »

So Corky if you are late paying your taxes it would be alright with you if I write an article in the newspaper and not ask you to comment, I can be as slanted as I wish too?
Mary Liske

Corky

• Super Talker
  • I thought we were friends!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »

Yes you can. Remember the newspaper does print the unpaid taxes every year in a special section. These individuals are not given the opportunity to explain their situation. The story was probably done because she is an elected official. They are held to a different standard.

This would hopefully never happen to me, but if it did I would have no say in what the newspaper printed about me as long as it was the truth. If it wasn't the truth then maybe some litigation is in order.
Guess Not!

LunaPierCook

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »

Putting it in with the others is one thing. Doing an article such as this one, elected official or not, without getting or printing the reality, is sensationalizing the info, particularly if the info that was given is incorrect, as it appears in this case. This is nothing if not vindictive.

One other thing Nola told me was that she and Mayor Deal have never gotten along. Note that Mayor Deal is the one quoted in the article. Understand also that Councilwoman Nola Young is the one who had convinced Mary to run against Mayor Deal. If he's professional at all, that shouldn't matter. However, is this article, complete with quotes from Mayor Deal, a coincidence? Believe what you want, but I don't believe it is.

Edited for spelling ... I was typing my fingertips off ... ;)

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »

I do not have a problem with the council taking action on the situation, as you said, she is held to a higher standard and that is why the tax rule is in place. What offends me is that 2 articles came out in MEN the same day. Both apprearing to have come from someone within the city who were at that meeting.  Both were slanted, and the one about the gun range was an out and out lie. Someone has an axe to grind and it seems they have friends at the MEN willing to jepardize their credibility and the newspapaers by printing sewage.
Mary Liske

LunaPierCook

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 03:13:29 PM »

Like I said when I started this thread ... from today's MEN:

Councilwoman Young paying late city taxes

That's the kind of thing I like to see.

Dime Store Cowboy

• Hero Talker
  • Molôn Labé!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »

Like I said when I started this thread ... from today's MEN:

Councilwoman Young paying late city taxes

That's the kind of thing I like to see.

LPC, I am with ya bro this BS doesnt belong in the papers but, on the other hand it is public info!
Sad deal that another business here in LP is going down. This one hits to the core too because it was owned by one of the residents...

The Mayor probably wants to make another parking lot so they can charge for access the pier and the beach!
No on second thought let me reiterate that..He wants a larger office with a lake view!
What a damn shame...

~DSC~
SUPPORT THE NRA

LunaPierCook

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »

DSC, my own lament about Sweet Temptations closing is on my BlogsMonroe.com food blog, at:

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/food/?p=379

The whole thing is ridiculous. We should be trying to keep businesses, not seeing how many we can close. The Sunoco station situation is one thing. But I understand the Chateau was close to being listed as "condemned" at one point, and the owners were able to get the city to backtrack. There are far too many empty business locations, Carla's (previously Renee's) closed a month ago, and the prime location, the beach house concession, is run by an out-of-town business and pays no business tax. There's apparently no concern about all of this this at city hall. Luna Pier could be a "Lake Erie destination" if only city hall cared. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

44Mag

• New Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 01:11:26 PM »

I just can't believe Mayor Deal had the audacity to put that article in the paper ! Just how childish can one be ? Or does he just like to see his name in the paper or can he think he is really that important ? He is supposed to be a City leader, this kind of behavior just enforces what the citizens are talking about, that he does have a personal vendetta against Councilwoman Young.  How can anyone come to trust a person like this ? Maybe he is finally showing his true colors ! I wonder how much he would like it if someone was to run to the newspaper and tried to belittle him ?  This was really BAD !

arbates

• New Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:10:11 PM »

Oh my.... small town, county politics at its best.

Here, we have an elected official, factually late on paying taxes, and as I understood the article, an elected official in Luna Pier who has not paid their taxes cannot serve in public office, and someone prints it in the newspaper.

Moral of story: if you can't pay your taxes make arrangements before they become deliquent.

Blame the MEN for the "unavailable for comment".

Situations are tough!  I have been misquoted more than once by reporters when serving as the dangerous building hearing officer in the City of Monroe.  I feel for Ms Young; seeign her financal situation being published in the paper, however, you must expect that when you put yourself under the political microscope.

Remember, the job of a newspaper in the 21st century is to sell papers; not investigate and print all sides or information in the same edition.

Murphy's Law of Constants: when you encounter unexplainable behavior ask yourself what is the pay off and who is the beneficiary?

Kalandra

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

I don't think the topic here should be MEN at all, honestly. The politics of these small counties is hard enough to delve into, as everyone is constantly tossing verbal garbage to the first ear to listen. It's hard to maintain objectiveness when only certain people comment, call back or make themselves available.

However, as far the situation itself goes -
Mrs. Young is a fantastic woman. She is friendly, loyal to her area and a huge family person. I think she's great. She should have gotten the taxes taken care of one way or another - The City of Luna Pier was in the right for announcing she could be de-chaired for this. I do think, however, that the Mayor is a pompous media loving dolt who thinks "all media is good media." Lots of negative stories about Luna Pier lately and not enough concentration on the city itself. I will miss Sweet Temptation (as will my little girl - she loves their Superman ice-cream!) very much.

workingmybuttoffmom

• New Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »

The whole thing is ridiculous. We should be trying to keep businesses, not seeing how many we can close. The Sunoco station situation is one thing. But I understand the Chateau was close to being listed as "condemned" at one point, and the owners were able to get the city to backtrack. There are far too many empty business locations, Carla's (previously Renee's) closed a month ago, and the prime location, the beach house concession, is run by an out-of-town business and pays no business tax. There's apparently no concern about all of this this at city hall. Luna Pier could be a "Lake Erie destination" if only city hall cared. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

I totally agree!!!  We have a beautiful city right on Lake Erie, quiet and very low crime (thanks to our wonderful police department).  What the possibilities could be.  A small community with shops and a "Destination Spa".  I have talked with Dr. Burlen and she said her out of town clients have to find lodging either in Toledo, Ann Arbor or Detroit.  Now, does that make sense???  I said she should find property and build a Bed & Breakfast somewhere near the lake (HINT... HINT for the Luna Pier Cook).  Now wouldn't that be a relaxing "spa experience"? Makes me wonder how long she will last here before closing up shop.
We have so much potential but it seems like our town government runs off everyone.  At least when Jerry Welton was here he always seemed to show how much he cared for this community and it's citizens.
So much for the LPBA I guess, as Nola was a leader in that and we don't have much left. And yes, I am proud to say I know Nola personally and I think she is a good, caring person who doesn't deserve to be drug through the mud like this...it should have been first approached in person and discussed.  I think everyone would like to be treated that way instead of having it announced in the community newspaper first and specifically as a special article.

But as Tom Treece says "But what do I know"
Come over to the dark side; We have cookies.

Crysti

• Active Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 05:23:42 PM »

Mrs. Young deserves her privacy. She had to explain why she is late on her taxes and that is no one's business. It must have been awful to have printed the private personal health of her husband as well as her own emotional and financial distress of trying to sell her business. There are so many people going through hardships because of personal reasons or the failed economy in the area that no one should be singled out. That article peeved me and I don't even know Mrs. Young or live in Luna Pier. I don't know how this kind of stuff ends up to be "news" because in my opinion, it is gossip.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up