MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know  (Read 6989 times)

LunaPierCook

Re: Luna Pier Councilwoman Nola Young: What She Wants You To Know
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 07:07:35 PM »

I have talked with Dr. Burlen and she said her out of town clients have to find lodging either in Toledo, Ann Arbor or Detroit.  Now, does that make sense???

One of the reasons we stayed at the B&B Railroad Depot two weekends ago is because my parents refuse to stay at the Super 8 here in Luna Pier anymore. My folks had called to cancel a reservation because of a surgery, and had given more than the required notice. However, the Super 8 still insists they never got the call, and charged my mom's credit card anyway! They'll not stay there again ... the B&B Railroad Depot is now where they'll be staying.

I said she should find property and build a Bed & Breakfast somewhere near the lake (HINT... HINT for the Luna Pier Cook).  Now wouldn't that be a relaxing "spa experience"? Makes me wonder how long she will last here before closing up shop.

No hint necessary ;D ... as soon as possible, we'll do one! Of course, it may be a while ... we too have wondered how long the spa will last. But if they close, I doubt it will be any fault of their own.

It must have been awful to have printed the private personal health of her husband as well as her own emotional and financial distress of trying to sell her business.

When I asked Nola for permission to start this thread, she didn't seem to mind whatsoever. I think she was more upset that the first article was so full of misinformation, especially with the implication she wasn't making any attempts. The first article appears to have come from within City Hall. That's where she was paying the taxes. They would have known she'd already made payments ... ::)

I don't know how this kind of stuff ends up to be "news" because in my opinion, it is gossip.

Ya' done hit the nail on the head there, dearie! 8)

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 11:48:09 AM »

Arbates said, "Remember, the job of a newspaper in the 21st century is to sell papers; not investigate and print all sides or information in the same edition."

Who says it is to sell newspapaers not investigate??????  That philosophy makes them no different than any rag magazine like the National Inquirer.  Professional serious journalism should not be sensationalizing stories to sell papers.  The truth is usually sensational enough.  We feed the public so much drama that we are getting addicted to it. Save the drama for your momma and take the time to tell ME the truth.
Mary Liske

arbates

• New Talker
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »

Arbates said, "Remember, the job of a newspaper in the 21st century is to sell papers; not investigate and print all sides or information in the same edition."

Who says it is to sell newspapaers not investigate??????  That philosophy makes them no different than any rag magazine like the National Inquirer.  Professional serious journalism should not be sensationalizing stories to sell papers.  The truth is usually sensational enough.  We feed the public so much drama that we are getting addicted to it. Save the drama for your momma and take the time to tell ME the truth.

Let me clear it up.  As a high school student in journalism, I was offered positions of assistant and editor of university papers at two universities in Michigan (second tier, not MSU or UM, et.).  I enjoyed journalism but didn't see it remaining a high calling to uncover the truth and investigate as much as publish what we can get and let the chips fall where they may.  Not m y cup of tea.  It is why I pay so little attention to "news" published by media outlets or papers.

To summarize, it was a sarcastic poke at the way most newspapers are run in America today.  So take a pill, loose the  ??? and don't take yourself and others so seriously in a blog.

Besides, if you are elected Mayor, no doubt there will be news stories about you.... or at least I hope you had thought about that possibility.   ;)

Corky

• Super Talker
  • I thought we were friends!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 02:47:59 PM »

At what point did they (MEN) tell a lie?  I've seen a lot in the paper about plenty of other instances: Compora's restraining order, other personal vendetta's,bickering between past & present mayors. What makes Nola so different?

As I said, I sympathize with her situation, but it does not change the fact that she currently does not meet the requirements of her position in office.

Looks like someone is running for Mayor and trying to gather votes in this forum.

(Not meant as a jab, but it didn't work for Aretta and some others either)
Guess Not!

LunaPierCook

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 03:23:33 PM »

arbates and Corky ... at the beinning of this thread, you'll find I wrote, "2/3rds of these taxes were already paid days before this article was printed yesterday". That is the main issue here, this misinformation. The initial article clearly states, "Nola Young has been notified that she owes the city about $1,100 in back taxes and has a month to pay the debt." The second article, corrects this with, "She said two-thirds of the debt already has been paid ..."

Now, if the Mayor or someone else supplied the information for the initial article, that's vindictive. If the paper excluded it, that's irresponsible, and a lie via omission.

We expect there will be articles about Mary, that's for certain. And anything written about her that's incorrect will need to be corrected. The paper has that responsibility, and they make corrections often.

If you look in the physical paper today, on 2A next to the gun range article, you'll see you can meet Mary Saturday at 1 p.m. at Gander's. It says, "The goal of the coffee hour is to help open communications between residents and city government, should she be elected." That this kind of thing with Nola was apparently routed from City Hall through the paper is more than inappropriate. This is something for a city web site, newsletter, etc., not for county residents to argue about without all the information.

I started this thread because Nola wanted the record set straight. It bothers me that some don't appear to want to be at all aware of Nola's side of what's going on. But that's what communication is all about.

Remember, there are three sides to everything: Your side, my side ... and what the truth is. Getting to the truth requires a level of communication we're being denied down here.

Corky

• Super Talker
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »

But at what point did they lie? Yes, they said she owes it, which is true. Try paying 2/3 of your taxes and see how far you get.

If you don't want to be held to a different standard, then don't run for office. It's like the stars who get all upset when the tabloids come after them.

You take the bad with the good.
Guess Not!

LunaPierCook

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 03:44:57 PM »

Yes Corky ... you can pay your taxes in installments, and it's alright. Have you ever owned a business? Taxes are due quarterly, but that's more a courtesy than anything else.

There is no "double standard" (please stop trying to twist what I've written into what it's not)anywhere except at City Hall, where they allow Wysock's to run the Luna Pier Beach House concession without paying any city taxes whatsoever.

That's your answer. If you can't understand it this time, I don't know what to tell you. But I've answered in detail more than once.

Corky

• Super Talker
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 03:59:17 PM »

Yes you can pay them in installments...on time. When they are due.

I did not see you writing anything on these boards when the delinquent taxes section of the paper comes out in the spring. Where were you then? I knew a lot of people being called out for not COMPLETELY paying their taxes. Who is gonna stand up for them?
Guess Not!

LunaPierCook

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

What does Wysocks working in Luna Pier have ANYTHING to do with a council woman not paying her taxes in full???  Are we talking about what was in the MEN or just venting????

Why did City Hall appearently contact the paper with info about Nola, when they specifically treat another business, one from out of town, with such favoritism? That's the real question. This has nothing to do with "venting". This has everything to do with fairness in business, fairness in reporting, and nothing else.

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »

For me it is not that it was publisized, but the way it was done.  She is behind on paying her taxes, and there is a consequence for that, she is given 30 days notice that they must be paid.  No problem it is the right thing to do.  I would not even have a problem with it being listed in the paper with everyone else who were behind on their taxes.  I would not mind if it was on the  front page news if she had failed to pay the taxes after 30 days and then was removed from council. That would be news worthy. This is not what took place! She was targeted for political revenge by someone in city hall, they went out of their way to make her look bad. It was not a mistake or a misprint. They manipulated their power and had something printed on the front page that was not yet news worthy. The paper has made their side right, by the second article, my only beef is with the foolish person who abused their position..and for what?  Do they think it ruins Nola reputation?  Do they think it will advance their political career? Does it just feel good to hurt someone else? All foolishness!!! That is my point of view and I am sorry if it does not make sense to you >:(
Mary Liske

Liske4Mayor

• New Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »

Corky said,"Looks like someone is running for Mayor and trying to gather votes in this forum."

I admit that could be the end result... if someone agrees with me, but it seems like a big chance I would be taking. That stradegy could just end up biting me in the butt. I am taking a political risk by putting myself out here and speaking in support of guns and speaking against people that I may just have to work with. I guess if people don't like what I stand for then they should not vote for me! It was not my intention to gather votes. If you knew me you would know I fight for others  and have done so since I was a little girl. I argued with family and their racist attitudes at age 10, I organized a walkout in high school (Erie, Mason) to bring attention to the milage, that if not passed would cause us to lose all extracurricular activities. I also organized 2 benifits for a friend who was diagnosised with cancer. I just can not sit still when there is a cause I feel passionate about. I have to do or say something. 
Think what you want! :-*
Mary Liske

LunaPierCook

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 05:27:52 PM »

Eriemermaid, again, my words being twisted. I never started a rumor anywhere. Using the words "apparently" and similar words does not mean I know aht happened by a long shot. However, Mayor Deal was quoted in both articles. Soooo ... what more would anyone need? But, to be safe, I still use the word "apparently" ... which, apparently, even the paper didn't do ...

LunaPierCook

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:11 PM »

Oh, and I forgot to mention ... the minutes from the last meeting will not be available to the public until they're approved at tonight's meeting.

arbates

• New Talker
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 05:39:15 PM »

arbates and Corky ... at the beinning of this thread, you'll find I wrote, "2/3rds of these taxes were already paid days before this article was printed yesterday". That is the main issue here, this misinformation. The initial article clearly states, "Nola Young has been notified that she owes the city about $1,100 in back taxes and has a month to pay the debt." The second article, corrects this with, "She said two-thirds of the debt already has been paid ..."

LunaPierCook,

I did read your opening post, I understood the information, purpose, and your assertion that this was the work of the current mayor.  Got it.

You are missing my point.  When someone runs for PUBLIC office, expect people, including your OPPOSITION to distribute information about you, good, bad, false or otherwise, for the purpose of discrediting.  An sad reality is that voters are far more persuaded by negative campaigning against a person than positive campaigning about what you can or have done good for the community. The appearance of scandal makes great headlines, unfortunately.  I did read the article in the MEN the next day that clarified the payment situation; however 1/3 or about $300.00 was not yet paid as of that date.  Would this event change my mind for supporting someone because they were late paying a portion of their taxes.  No.  Might other people be swayed?  Yes.

Oh nuts, I'm going to get off this soap box and move on for the night.  Anyway, I can't even vote in Luna Pier.  Best of wishes to you all and to the Youngs.

PS - I do own a business and any taxing authority, Federal, City, Village, State, paying my taxes quarterly was not a "courtesy" but a mandate.  I was late one day and received a fine from the State.  Just a matter of information.  If you haven't paid your business taxes quarterly, I would be looking for the letter any day now.

LunaPierCook

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »

You are missing my point.  When someone runs for PUBLIC office, expect people, including your OPPOSITION to distribute information about you, good, bad, false or otherwise, for the purpose of discrediting. 

And you're missing our point. Mary and I believe that to be unacceptable, flat-out and period. We believe people are entitled to the truth about their elected officials. Just don't get me started about George W. ...  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up