MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Will recalls alter how you buy?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will recalls alter how you buy?  (Read 2429 times)

K

• New Talker
Will recalls alter how you buy?
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »

With the recent toy recalls of many popular brands and items, I was wondering if it would make people shop differently. I keep reading that with the buying season coming up this could have a major affect on how people shop and what they buy. I know it's made me a little leary of toys being made in China. I think my daughter may have a toy on the recall list so she isnt allowed to play with it anymore. I dont have the packaging anymore so I'm not completely sure if it's one on the list but I don't want to take any chances.

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
Re: Will recalls alter how you buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »

Hi K - If it is a Mattel/Fisher Price toy here is the link to recall list

http://service.mattel.com/us/recall/default.asp?recall_id=52430

Go to #4 and click "view and print recall brochure"

A few pages back on this forum there is a Toy Recall thread. You might find the information you are looking for there.  :)
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

lulu

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »

I think it will affect what I buy. I hope I never poison any of my children, or anyone else's for that matter.
Will this toy recall, or the tire recall, or any of the other recalls inspire the businesses to bring the manufacturing back to the USA? I don't think so. 
I wonder if it was still more 'cost effective' for these companies to eat the expense of these recalls than it is to pay a living wage to people here?
If it is so much cheaper to have these toys made in China why didn't the price of these toys go down?
Most of those toys listed in the recall, I think, are pretty pricey.
The truth is not simply what you think it is; it is also the circumstances in which it is said, and to whom, why and how it is said.
Vaclav Havel (1936 - )

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

If it is so much cheaper to have these toys made in China why didn't the price of these toys go down?
Most of those toys listed in the recall, I think, are pretty pricey.

That is because the companies do not pass those saving on to the consumer. Pretty disgusting isn't it!
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

lulu

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:23:27 PM »

"That is because the companies do not pass those saving on to the consumer. Pretty disgusting isn't it!"

Indeed it is... It's also disgusting how hard it is to find things made in the USA.

I also read recently that China was working on freeing slaves from Brick Factories. Some of them are children who were sold to the factories for $65.00. (I'm not good at remembering where I read things so don't count on a link)

I guess they want those Olympics pretty badly- gotta clean up that image.
The truth is not simply what you think it is; it is also the circumstances in which it is said, and to whom, why and how it is said.
Vaclav Havel (1936 - )

Ördög

• Hero Talker
  • Az ördög cimborája
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 11:24:10 PM »

All I can say is good luck finding a plastic toy that doesn't say "Made in China"
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

TPoKE

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 12:08:06 AM »

Im jsut glad I dont have small kids to buy toys for...how dangerous and what a mess!

Ördög

• Hero Talker
  • Az ördög cimborája
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 12:11:06 AM »

Im jsut glad I dont have small kids to buy toys for...how dangerous and what a mess!

The real danger is not the lead paint. It's trying to go to the bathroom at night in the dark and stepping on hard little plastic land mines in the living room.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

TPoKE

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 12:21:55 AM »

The real danger is not the lead paint. It's trying to go to the bathroom at night in the dark and stepping on hard little plastic land mines in the living room.

Ouch!
Pages: [1]   Go Up