MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > trying to understand road work on Telegraph Road

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to understand road work on Telegraph Road  (Read 1773 times)

UltiTrish

• Active Talker
trying to understand road work on Telegraph Road
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:02:27 PM »

They have posted articles and have signs up showing that Telegraph Rd from Heiss Rd to Wayne County line is going to be resurfaced/refinished over the next several weeks at night time.  That is fine but what we cannot understand is this:  if you are going to be digging up/resurfacing/refinishing, etc a road then why on earth would you take up the old lines, put down new lines and fill in cracks if you are just going to come back over it and dig it all up???

am I missing a part of the puzzle here? or do they just have an over abundance of money that they need to get rid of and figured why not waste it on paint and crack fillers...
~~UltiTrish~~

UltiTrish

• Active Talker
Re: trying to understand road work on Telegraph Road
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »

12 views and no feedback or opinions on this - interesting - thanks anyways
~~UltiTrish~~

chris

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:04:48 PM »

im assuming by "lines" you mean the yellow lines in the middle of the road.  the answer to that is safety.  when you have a project that will be going on for more than a few days, and is a very busy road, you need to have lines painted.  so when they dig up the road, and before they finish it, they have to put down new lines so people know where to drive.  and no, its not a waste of money and time.  it only takes a few minutes to restripe a mile of road, and that safety is enough to justify a few minutes of work.

UltiTrish

• Active Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »

ok true enough but why take up and put down new lines when the road has not even been dug up yet?
~~UltiTrish~~

billylumbergh

• Active Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »

12 views and no feedback or opinions on this - interesting - thanks anyways

You seriously have a bug up your butt about this so bad that you're going to get mad that 12 people viewed the thread and didn't post any opinions? Good grief.

Anyhow, I'm neither a civil engineer nor a construction worker, but I'm betting that they have good reason to do what they do, and like Chris said, I'm sure it's for safety, rather than a plan to waste money. If you have to close down one side of the road so that you can work on it, you have to move traffic over to the other side, which means you have to fill up little potholes along the edge and smooth the drop to the shoulder so that traffic can roll on it as well. Shifting the traffic over means you have to shift the lines over. All seems pretty common sense to me.

UltiTrish

• Active Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »

gee did not know the word (interesting) meant I had a bug up my butt and means that I am mad...

I can see this topic is going nowhere legitimate real quick so you all go on and have a great night and I will leave you to all your other interesting topics
~~UltiTrish~~
Pages: [1]   Go Up