MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > 3 youths hurt in pursuit by Monroe sheriff's deputies

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 youths hurt in pursuit by Monroe sheriff's deputies  (Read 26284 times)

alicat

• New Talker
Re: 3 youths hurt in pursuit by Monroe sheriff's deputies
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2007, 10:56:34 PM »

So Sad.

Semper Fi

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 12:28:49 AM »

I teach my kids that choosing your friends is important.

TheShepherd,
Sounds like you are accusing these kids of being bad kids. What's your proof? How do you know? Why so quick to judge? Just remember that good kids can make mistakes. Have a good day.

sue lee

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:17 AM »

The kids were known to be good kids, active in church, not into drinking or drugs. I have mixed emotions on this. I can not understand how it could escalate into a high speed chase so quickly. My liberal views do not run over on crime. I believe in preventive measures, and once that has failed, get hard as hell.
So why did these cops chase them? Cosidering Monroe County has had another chase related death (Krell) what were they thinking? Couldn't they see that they were dealing with young teenagers? I will hold back judgement on right or wrong untill all the facts are in. But I just do not like this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:06:04 AM by sue lee »
The best mannered people make the most absurd lovers.

aprilrain

• New Talker
  • Truth, Justice, Peace, Freedom
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 03:41:35 AM »

To say that this doesnt upset me would be a lie. I feel bad that one innocent kid had to die because their moron friend (who also died) took went  on a very stupid car chase. But seriously, the part that irritates me even more is that I load the news page and I see
"BREAKING NEWS: Kids killed in crash
were young Christians"

First of all, the accident is very much newsworthy..their religious standing is not.

Don't try to paint these kids as saints.

"Pastor Sam Luke of Stewart Road Christian Ministries Center said tonight that the three teenagers did not do drugs or drink alcohol. They just did a stupid thing that many teenagers attempt, he said."

Yeah...coz all teens go on 100+ mph car chases to get away from cops while joy riding in their parents stolen car.

"They were all really good kids; they were just outstanding," Pastor Luke said. "It’s just a horrible, tragic accident."

Outstanding huh...driving without a license...stealing your parents car...running from police?

"They were doing something sneaky and they were just being 15-year-olds," the pastor said. "And now everybody’s been devastated."

Just being 15 year olds? Im sorry...but no.

Somewhere, someone has to take responsibility for doing something wrong! So the kids were active in church? So what? They still commited numerous CRIMES and it IS NOT OK. INNOCENT PEOPLE DIED. Dont sugar coat it by making them sound like saints. What this kid did was wrong. UNFORTUNATELY he had to pay the ultimate price, along with his friend. And the other kid will forever be scarred, emotionally and physically.
When life smacks you with Karma, make karma-aid.

A Reasonable Person

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:53 AM »

April you hit the nail on the head. Good job!

Thank you MEN for polarizing the topic.  Rather than reporting the news worthy facts in your paper you elected to add religion to the mix.

What if the teenagers in the car were Islamic?  Would that make a difference? How about Jewish?  Buddhist?  What does the fact that they are Christians have to do with the events that took place?  Because they are Christians that means that it is impossible for them to do wrong?

They Stole a Car,
They drove with out a license,
They drove erratically with out a license
They fled when the police tried to stop them
They fled at speeds exceeding 100mph
They tragically crashed, two teenagers are dead.

Those are the facts....being black,white,green,purple,blue,christian,islamic,catholic,jewish,athiest has nothing to do with the incident.

Michigan Law does not say... "Thou shall not steal a car and run from the police....unless you are Christian"

Stick to the facts MEN....stop trying to sensationalize the news.

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 07:25:47 AM »

THEY?! I hardly believe all of the individuals in the car were fully responsible.

Regardless, they are children.  I hope we can give children more guidance than simply placing blame on them.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »

The charge would have been joyriding and not grand theft auto because the kids did not steal a car; they borrowed their parents’ car.
That small distinction may matter very little but it’s still a fact that must be presented.

Whenever I see the chases on “COPS” I wonder why they couldn’t incorporate something in their “stop sticks” to provide an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) that would disable the vehicles electronic system or have an extendable arm to slip under the fleeing vehicle since many times they are close enough to perform the “PIT maneuver” anyway.

I’d like law enforcement to protect the public so perhaps chasing is not the answer.
They can’t out-run the radio and a helicopter could have kept an eye on them until they ran out of gas.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:39 AM »

Maybe April should have been the one giving the youth a talk insted of the steward road group. It sounds like her parents taught her to except responsibility for her own actions, sonthing that a bunch of parents failed to teach.
Has anyone asked why were these other kids were not at home? I hear some wanting to blame the cop, but would you expect a 15 y/o to be out speeding and weaving ,, or would you think it was a drunk leaving the bar? If I were the cop I would think it was a drunk. I also read the one where someone said " get the plate # and just go to their house and wait,,,, even if it was your own car,, would you go home? Or would you go to a friends house and report it stolen???

I do believe the part about calling them christian kids,,,, where else do you find the biggest devils,, around christians,,,,A whole lot of people uses the Lords name and lable themselves christians,,, But God has a way of bring things out of the closet.

beachbunny

• Active Talker
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2007, 10:26:35 AM »

Its amazing that people are comparing this chase to Krell. They are in no way the same. Unlike Krell the officer has the authority to pull you over. How was he to know or not know if the person behind the wheel was under the influence. They may have been good "Christian" kids. However, they made bad choices that night. Instead of running and being afraid of the consequences of their actions they should have stopped. The bad choices made prior to that point could have stopped and these kids wouldn't have needlessly died. My heart goes out to the parents, friends and families of these children. However, lets not lose sight of the fact that the decision made by the youth driving without a license and the choice of the other two to get into the car with someone they know isn't licensed is what caused this to happen. The officer didn't force them to go on to the road that night. The problem with society is not laying blame where blame is due.

Dime Store Cowboy

• Hero Talker
  • Molôn Labé!
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2007, 10:33:56 AM »

Fewwwwww..I never seen so much bickering..Like hens in a hens house.
Its was cops fault, it was kids fault..
Cops are gun ho...High Speed chases...blah blah blah..

You want to know what it is..a damn tragedy, a miscalculated accident thats all.

Question is..Who allowed these kids out at upteen O'clock in the morning???
Where were the parents???
Another thing, police dont just chase to chase..they have cause and are in communcation with a senior officer to pursue the chase at all times!

Its just a tragedy....no ones fault...
Its ok to vent but we cant point fingers.
Things happen...everyday folks!
Most are out of our hands.
My sympathy goes to the families..
I pray for them through out this whole ordeal.

~DSC~

SUPPORT THE NRA

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2007, 11:18:03 AM »

DSC has a point..

I cannot believe that as usual, everyone wants to place blame everywhere but where it belongs.

And to suggest the police are at fault?  Now that's funny.

Imagine going to work at a job where you could DIE at any moment... any moment.. yes that is being dramatic.  Did he or she know that it was a car load of teens at 2am?   Most likely not!  The worst thing that ever happened to police was being put 1 to a car.  Imagine that, no backup, nobody watching your back.
As for chases.. What would you have the police do?  Just let them go?  Oh darn, they ran, maybe we will see them again sometime.
Helicopter?  Yeah they have the cash for that..

The kid driving that car is 70% to blame.  The other 2 share 10% for getting in that car.  The parents  get 20%.  Where were they and why would their kid think this was ok?

The police  0% to blame.

At least the two that didn't make it were christians.. I know I will sleep better now..  So let me ask this.. Will the christian driver go to hell for killing his christian passenger?  Or can he just ask to be forgiven for murder?

Shoelady

• New Talker
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »

I wonder if the deputy will get 9 months in jail?  Couldn't he see they were young kids?  Why didn't he stop the pursuit, and radio for assistance to head them off?

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »

DSC has a point..

I cannot believe that as usual, everyone wants to place blame everywhere but where it belongs.

And to suggest the police are at fault?  Now that's funny.

Imagine going to work at a job where you could DIE at any moment... any moment.. yes that is being dramatic.  Did he or she know that it was a car load of teens at 2am?   Most likely not!  The worst thing that ever happened to police was being put 1 to a car.  Imagine that, no backup, nobody watching your back.
As for chases.. What would you have the police do?  Just let them go?  Oh darn, they ran, maybe we will see them again sometime.
Helicopter?  Yeah they have the cash for that..

The kid driving that car is 70% to blame.  The other 2 share 10% for getting in that car.  The parents  get 20%.  Where were they and why would their kid think this was ok?

The police  0% to blame.

At least the two that didn't make it were christians.. I know I will sleep better now..  So let me ask this.. Will the christian driver go to hell for killing his christian passenger?  Or can he just ask to be forgiven for murder?

I have to say that I agree with most of FarmerTed has said.

I was discussing this with my teenager (who by the way was friends with, many years ago, the young lady who died) and I aked her how she felt about this. She read the posts and couldn't believe that so many people place blame on the police. Her response was, "Weren't they just doing their job?" Then went on to say, " If it were common knowlege that the police would not chase you .....how many people would actually pull over to begin with?"

With that said, I can't really put too much blame on the parents. I can't tell you how many times my friends and I would crawl out of our bedroom window in the middle of the night and my parents were none the wiser.

I have to also take into consideration that the passengers of this vehicle possibly could have had no idea that they were doing anything more than going on a little joyride to Meijer. (Yes VERY VERY wrong and a huge punishment would have been in order........however not the punishment that they received)

I feel the driver was 100% at fault. HE was driving the car. HE made the choice to flee from the police.

Again, My heart breaks for these parents! I was up most of the night thinking that this has to be the absolute worst day of their entire lives. I can't even imagine the grief that they must be feeling.

If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »

The drivers’ actions could have easily been misinterpreted as a drunk driver but I’m astounded that anyone would think that chasing a drunk driver is a prudent thing to do.

Money would have been better spent on a helicopter than paying defensive litigation costs and possibly still end up paying an award for wrongful death.

Perhaps that phrase “You can’t out-run the radio” should become the mantra of law enforcement.

I think their religious values were mentioned to help people think more of “they’re going to a better place”.
I grew up in the church environment and used to pal around with the pastors son but it wasn’t long before I discovered he had the nastiest foul mouth of anyone I’ve ever known…. (He could have been the impetus for the “Insane Clown Posse”  :o)
I’m not saying these kids were like that….only that religion has no bearing here.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

haras00

• Super Talker
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »

Farmer Ted and Lady Arbella are right. And thank you Lady for stating the obvious that if we knew the cops would not follow us, why would we pull over....cause it's the right thing to do...I don't think so.

This is very tragic and I feel bad for everyone involved. That includes the officer. I have my own opinions of police and they are not all favorable but I can't believe everyone is blaming the officer. First of all it's not his/her fault at all. Not to mention he/she is a person, and because he/she was doing his job 2 kids are dead. Put your self in those shoes for a second. That is a nightmare. Everyone involved deserves our thoughts and prayers. If you're all such great Christians like you claim all over these boards you should start acting like it. I'm not pointing any fingers here just pointing out what I see.

Lastly, when I was a teenager I drank alcohol and had friends who did drugs. We were, for all intents and purposes, "good kids" and I know for a fact that if someone asked our parents and teachers and priests/pastors they would have said the same thing; most of the time we were good kids. That being said I can look back and see that I made bad choices here and there. I'm just lucky (and I would imagine a few of you can say the same) that my dumb decisions didn't result in myself or my friends loosing their lives.

In this situation deciding whose fault it is isn't going to fix anything. All we can do now is (as some of you said you have) talk to our kids about this incident; remind them how important every decision you make is and work toward making sure this doesn’t happen again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up