MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Bottled Water

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottled Water  (Read 8166 times)

DJ16

• Elite Talker
Bottled Water
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:22:18 AM »

Charlie Slatt posted a blog last month about bottled water that I found very interesting. I have since decided to never buy bottled water again.

When I was at CMU there was a big stink raised over Nestle/ Perrier extracting water from the area. There was a popular bumper sticker that read, "We're Perrier, Now Give Us Your Water."
I can't remember the exact details of the case. Does anyone remember hearing about this?

Here's a link to Charlie's http://www.blogsmonroe.com/consumer/?p=479.

zard0z

Re: Bottled Water
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:32:39 AM »

Thanks for that article...very informative...This goes to show you how out of touch, selfish and indulgent the people in this country really are...A must read for school children...!

I really like this quote...It should make everybody rethink the idea of bottled water...

"If the water we use at home cost what even cheap bottled water costs, our monthly water bills would run $9,000."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:37:56 AM by zard0z »

haras00

• Super Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:38:15 AM »

This is a very startling article. I know it's long, but at the very least skim it, read the points of interest. And then most importantly, share it with your friends and family. The more we spread awareness the faster we can act to save our earth!

Thanks for sharing!

Storm

• Active Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 09:45:38 AM »

I think I might switch to self-purified water.
Even though I recycle my bottles...
-'Stormin' Norman

utility slug

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »

My family NEVER buys bottled water...EVER.

The bottle itself costs more than its contents.   Why do you think the grocery stores have so much shelf space devoted to it ?

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 10:00:14 AM »

And to think when I was a kid, I would even drink from the garden hose!

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:04:58 AM »

I really wish I could drink tap water........but it is just NASTY!! I don't drink bottled water because it is healthier or "trendy"  it just TASTES better.  I have also found that Monroe tap water is the worst ! I don't even cook or make coffee with it.  However, I  don't use my good drinking for that, I go to the water refill stations at the grocery store.

I can taste the difference between most brands and the only one I  like is Poland Spring. The rest taste like tap water to me. The only thing I drink besides coffee is water (about a gallon a day) so I'm not about to drink something that I don't enjoy.
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

zard0z

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »

I really wish I could drink tap water........but it is just NASTY!!

Try using a Pur water filter on your tap, that's what I do...I also have a Brita filter pitcher too...It's cheaper in the long run than buying distilled water at the store...

haras00

• Super Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »

I really wish I could drink tap water........but it is just NASTY!!

Try using a Pur water filter on your tap, that's what I do...I also have a Brita filter pitcher too...It's cheaper in the long run than buying distilled water at the store...

I was just going to say that, I agree with Lady, tap water does taste bad. I have a Brita pitcher at home and I think my water from that tastes better than some bottled water! Especially Auqafina, yuck! I do like Disani, but most of the time I have a water bottle with me that I fill up at home with Brita water.

loser

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:20:13 AM »

dont forget what 'evian' is spelled backwards....
you know how much you miss my avitar

wastinawayagain

• Active Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »

I'm another person who pretty much only drinks water and coffee, so the taste of my water is important. Tap water, especially around here, just tastes gross. It's very chemical-y. There's also something to be said for the convenience factor. Grab a bottle on your way out the door and you're good to go. So I buy cases of bottled water even though I know it's kinda silly.

I should just break down and put a water purifier on the tap at home. Anyone know of any good deals on them?
if we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane

Storm

• Active Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »

I'm another person who pretty much only drinks water and coffee, so the taste of my water is important. Tap water, especially around here, just tastes gross. It's very chemical-y. There's also something to be said for the convenience factor. Grab a bottle on your way out the door and you're good to go. So I buy cases of bottled water even though I know it's kinda silly.

I should just break down and put a water purifier on the tap at home. Anyone know of any good deals on them?

For the most part, they are always a good deal versus bottled water.
They really aren't that hard to find.
I am thinking about going back to self-filtering myself, I will let you know if i spot anything phenomenal.
-'Stormin' Norman

chris

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »

i agree with tap water not tasting right.  i also have a pur filter on my tap which i use to fill bottles and a pitcher in my fridge.  you can get them for 25 bucks at wal mart or meijer.  the filters are 20 bucks but ive had mine for over 6 months and still have half of the filter left. 

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »

my tap water smells like fish.  It tastes like the water out of the garden hose metallicy (for lack of a better term).  We bought a refridgerator that has a water purifier and ice maker.  I drink so much more water than I used to.  I don't drink soda anymore and I love that I never run out of cold water.  I tried the water pitcher thing but I was the only one filling it up but not the only one drinking it so it got to be a pain.  I would like to buy one of those pur water filters with the flavors for the kids.  Any one tried it yet?
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »

There is some interesting information regarding water purification at www.motherearthnews.com.  There are some filter/purification system buyer reports,etc.
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up