MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Bottled Water

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bottled Water  (Read 8269 times)

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
Re: Bottled Water
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 03:36:39 PM »

I began drinking bottled water when I was 12, when the Zebra Mussels clogged up our water system.. I've never gone back to tap water. It's disgusting, leaves a horrible aftertaste, and in some cities where I lived, is contaiminated.  When I lived at home and mom and dad bought groceries, I always drank Evian, then switched to Naya when I lived on my own. I now usually drink the Meijer spring water. Oh, and I cannot stand purified water like Aquafina or Dasani - that leaves a horrible aftertaste and tastes almost as gross to me as tap water.

Sorry, but I'm sticking to my bottled water.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 06:27:52 PM »

the water in monroe tastes fine to me...but then again...im old!

but im a pop drinker at heart...or is it soda??? nooooo its pop!!!!!

i love going to a china buffet and order a coke...they say...noooooooo coke...pessi ok??

i say that will do just fine darlin!! ;D
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »

If someone had told me 10 years ago that people would be willing pay $1 or more for a bottle of water, I would have called them crazy.
The recent revelations from some of the major bottled water giants, admitted that their water source is from municipal water systems.
Our water comes from the South County Water system.
It taste just fine to me, right from the tap.
My wife prefers to get her drinking water chilled from the refrigerator water and ice dispenser.
We pay less than a 50 cents a day for all of our potable water usages.

I wonder?
Could sell my garden dirt,for a $1 a bottle, as a pure natural soil, with no chemicals added?
If you would like to order some of my fine garden soil, you can send me a message on this blog.

So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »

We buy it by the case....   store brand or something not real expensive....   

We still have well water and it is hard and minerally....   

We recycle the bottles...
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

MyKidsChauffeur

• Elite Talker
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

I have greatly reduced our family's consumption of bottled water in the past 6 months.  I kept reading articles on how not buying bottled water will help the environment, and financially, it's so obvious that using the tap is much, much cheaper.  Our tap water (Berlin Twp water) is just fine, although I will probably buy a filter one of these days (alot of people I know, many of them germaphobes,  ;) swear by them).  So I told my kids I was no longer buying bottled water at the grocery store and they needed to start refilling water bottles we have here at home for lunches, activities, etc.  Now we only pick up bottled water occasionally when we're out and we're thirsty.  The place I really hate to buy bottled water the most is the movies, where is costs $3.00 or more.  A friend once commented as he bought a bottle of water at the movies with us (he's sworn off pop, so he had to buy water), "Anyone who is willing to pay $3.00 for something we can get for free has no right to complain about the cost of gas."  That has stuck with me ever since!

Algae

• Super Talker
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »

I find Monroe's tap water to taste fine.  Try Ann Arbor's tap water some time...I really disliked the taste of that!

Has anyone tried the new Pur Filter with flavors?  I think it sounds like a good idea, but I wonder how that really tastes?

Didn't the City of Monroe have its own brand bottled water at one point?

Yep!  Monroe Mist!  You used to have to call the Water Department and ask for some, so maybe they still have it, but don't advertise it?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 09:43:20 AM »

I’m not fond of the bottled “purified” water and usually go for the spring water.

When the kids are on the run out the door I’d rather they would grab a bottle of water than a pop.

I saw a news story where their main complaint against bottled water is that it’s too sterile and tap water contains things your body needs.

It just occurred to me that our teeth need the protection of the fluoride in the tap water as well.

Every once in a while our tap water will smell slightly fishy so perhaps I should look into installing a filter.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Algae

• Super Talker
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 09:57:35 AM »

And, as I'm surfing the web, I come across this article of interest!

Reusable Water Bottles You'll Actually Want To Use

A quick ranking of 6 water bottles and what features they have.

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 10:09:45 AM »

I just can't give up my Poland Spring water. (LOL....I'm sure someone will send me a link showing that Poland Spring water is from the Detroit River or something like that) For me it has nothing to do with "being healthier" it's about the taste.  My drinking water is just one of those things that I am extremely picky about. As I said before it is the only thing that we drink besides coffee.  I have been drinking bottled water my entire life so when I try tap, the "chemical" taste is too much for me. Believe me if I could switch to drinking  tap (or even a cheaper brand)  I would. Buying drinking water costs me around $45.00 a month. Keep in mind both my daughter and I drink alot of water (close to 2 gallons a day between the two of us). I know people who easily spend that buying soda, which I find to be disgusting. (soda that is)

I never had to buy cooking/coffee water before moving to Monroe. Again, I refill at the store using my gallon jugs. Big pain in the a**.

At first I thought it was just my house (over 100 years old with plumbing almost as old......yes, galvanived pipes  :P) However, I have talked to people (usually at the grocery store waiting to fill the water jugs) and they have told me that Monroe has horrible tap water. Taking those things into consideration, it is safe to say that my tap water has an abnormally high level of "funk" in it.

I have considered buying a faucet mounted filter, so I would at least be able to use tap water to cook and make coffe with.  However, when I see the cost of the filter as well as the replacement filters I usually put it off. I don't mind the initial investment of the faucet mount......it is just the replacement filters that concerns me. In my case, I am going to assume that the filters will only last half as long, because they would be working twice as hard.

So my first set of  questions are: Is Monroe's tap water "funky" 
I see there are a few who do not think so. I'm curious if those of you have been raised drinking this water?

Second question(s) are to those of you who use faucet mounted filters: Do your filters last as long as they claim to, if not how long do they last?

I would love to buy one for convenience alone, but at this time cost wins over convenience. I did do the math, if the filters do last as long as they claim, it might be worth it for me to finally break down and buy one.
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »

When Evian and Perrier first came to the US with the claim of "Bottled at the Source" it actually meant something. In both Italian and French 'source' is used for 'spring.' So being bottled at the spring was a quite a marketing claim, since streams, rivers, lakes and impoundments in Europe are often not desireable water sources.

US beverage marketers have taken the more common use of 'source' in our language to allow themselves a freer hand in water selection.

Almost all bottled waters carry the marketing line--'bottled at the source' however we need to read closely to determine if the 'source' is a spring or a tap.

Caveat emptor...

Bottled water is handy and beats the pants off most carbonated beverages during the work day.

peace,
Griff
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

Stephanie

• Active Talker
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 08:00:13 PM »

When I was at CMU there was a big stink raised over Nestle/ Perrier extracting water from the area. There was a popular bumper sticker that read, "We're Perrier, Now Give Us Your Water."
I can't remember the exact details of the case. Does anyone remember hearing about this?

It's still an issue. I'm not clear on where it's at currently, but I did find this from April:
Nestle Waters of North America, one of the world's largest water bottling corporations, has withdrawn proposed plans to pump water from a site in Newaygo County's Monroe Township. According to Nestle, who bottles water in Michigan under the Ice Mountain label, the consistency of the water did not meet the standards for Nestle's spring water. Opponents of the plan, led by the White River Watershed Preserve hailed Nestle's decision not to continue with the project. Last month, the White River Watershed Preserve passed a resolution both opposing the withdrawal of water from the White River and calling on the Michigan legislature to revisit Michigan's large-scale water withdrawal law arguing that its criteria for determining an adverse impact is too vague and limited. In the local media, reporters have described "intense opposition" to the plan by local residents.
In February, Nestle was granted approval by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) to withdraw 216,000 gallons of water per day from a site near two trout streams in Osceola County. Nestle's Ice Mountain plant in Standwood currently withdraws 313,000 gallons of water per day.

The House dems introduced some kind of legislative package not long ago to limit the siphoning off of water from the great lakes. Seems like it should be extended.
I'll post more later if I find more info.

Reporter, Monroe Evening News

lulu

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »

I watched television once and they were talking about bottled water and the chemicals that are released when the plastic is heated, such as when you leave it in a car during the summertime and the sun shines into the bottle.
Those chemicals, pthalates (sp?) are supposed to be much worse for you than the chlorine and  other "funk" used to clean tap water.

I buy bottled water, try not to leave it in my car with sun shining on it. I use one bottle per day and refill it as I go with whatevers available. I prefer filtered water to spring water.

When I was young there was a pipe that came out of the side of the mountain along the highway near Tazewell, Tn. where you could stop and fill your jugs. I remember it being very cold and clear with no taste at all.
The truth is not simply what you think it is; it is also the circumstances in which it is said, and to whom, why and how it is said.
Vaclav Havel (1936 - )

7n7

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 12:25:55 PM »

It's a shame. In as many places in the world where it's a struggle for safe drinking water, we here in the middle of the largest mass of fresh water have sucky drinking water..... I'm always amazed at how many homes have municipal water down south, where they have to carve out rock to run the lines, and up here, it's just too expensive to run pipes in dirt.  ::)

We have a well with sulfur, so the only water I drink is in some sort of bottle.
One in four people are mentally disturbed.
If three of your friends seem ok, you're the one!

topper

• New Talker
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »

i had sulphur water out in the same area.  what i did was yo fill gallon jugs and set them on the counter over night  with  the cap off. an old timer at the time told me the sulpher  was a gas that would disapate. worked for me, hope it works for you.                               

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 03:44:51 PM »

Wouldn’t that sulphur smell dissipate into your house if you left it exposed on the counter?

Maybe it’s something you’d get used to but somehow I’m imagining rotten eggs.

Does it leave an odor when you shower or when you wash your clothes?

I recall that someone around Tuttle Hill and Grames (48160) discovered that their house had sulphur water too but I haven’t talked to them in years and have no idea what they had to do about it.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up