MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?  (Read 8946 times)

12 Bones

• New Talker
What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »

I'm curious as to what people think are Monroes best qualities ?   ;D

I'm also curious as to what's wrong with Monroe.  ???

I grew up out here in Carleton. But I've also lived in The City of Monroe for a few years.  I can tell you that I love the small town life. You see people you know every day, there's always somebody to talk with, and you can count on your neighbors to help out if they can.

What I don't like about Monroe is the same complaint everybody else has.  It's  BORING ! ! ! 
What this place could use is a few more block parties !

Monroe73

• New Talker
Re: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:30 AM »

I hate to go into the East side and there's a lot of cops

Dar

• New Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:15:42 AM »

Monore's best are schools ,downtown,fishing,people.  Worst would have to be not enough stores close but then it wouldn't keep its charm .                                                                                   
    Have A Wondeful Day

masc0t

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:47:25 AM »

I wish Monroe would do something with the waterways.  If we could tear out at least 2 dams in Monroe, we could open it up for boats to come downtown from the lake.  This would be cool and promote more downtown business, bars and restaurants would thrive, properties along the river would become more valuable and people would come from many nearby cities to take advantage of the atmosphere.  We could have a water taxi just like they have in Cleveland.  I think we are really missing the boat by not utilizing our water areas better.  I'm sure the project would be enormously expensive but overall, the return would be unending.  Even the lake front doesn't offer much to the people.  Boat launch sites for those who have boats, and Sterling State Park to swim, big deal.  What about recreational activities, jet ski rentals, parasailing, kite surfing, tubing, regular regatta's or festivals by the water, boat tours, etc?  People love this stuff.  These things seem to thrive everywhere else, so why not in Monroe?  The long term investment would definitely be worth it.  I know there are probably plenty of underlying issues, but I believe it can be done.

Mike Ingels

• Hero Talker
    • Expatriate Monroe
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:58:13 AM »

Beautiful post, Masc0t!

What would Monroe look like without the dams?  Just think of a marina in downtown.  Wouldn't that be just the coolest thing?  We could get a Jimmy Buffet vibe going in downtown.

But I think that there are some minor adjustments that could be made to improve the area.  The first is a citywide or countywide garbage pick-up day.  I was just at Hellenberg Island and there is trash all over the place.  And it's not just that location.  I've seen an old abandoned car in Erie, car batteries tossed in Petersburg.  Our parks have more trash than those in other areas.

Also, some strategic tree-trimming would help.  If you drive east on Elm Street, past the Clamdigger, there is a wall of trees along the river that blocks the view.  A little bit of trimming might really help to make that area more pleasant.

I'm always amazed when I drive through Tecumseh by how much a paved path and a few streetlights can improve an area.  Their commercial strip looks really cool right now.  I feel the same way about Washtenaw Ave. in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi no-man's land.  They trimmed some trees, paved a roadside trail, put in a few lights and - BOOM - the place looks so much more inviting.

Do the same thing along Elm street near that little marina area, christen it Monroe's Marina District and we might have something.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:00:38 AM by Mike Ingels »
The world is basically good.

TPoKE

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »

I hate to go into the East side and there's a lot of cops

being around a lot of cops should make you feel at ease....unless you are the type they are looking for.

What I like about Monroe...the public education is very very good...its considerable safer than most other cities....folks tend to take care of their properties (not alot of run down buildings sitting around waiting for demo)

What I dont like:  There is really nothing for young men and women to do that is safe and can hold their attention....job market is not that great.....far too much institutionalized racism and prejudices...and everything closes up at 10:00 pm!!!!!

beachbunny

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:03:02 PM »

I think it would be neat to get an affordable waterpark. I've taken my kids to rolling hills its affordable and fun. Its not huge which I think probably helps keep the cost down. I think the outlet mall has potential if the right stores come in. They should get some of the good stores like Birch Run.

masc0t

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »

Yeah, I totally agree about the Outlet Mall on LaPlaisance.  They could make it a real go if they would get some real stores in there, stuff people want.  The place needs revamping totally.  But they need to do it all at once and not get in one good one every other year.  We need a Coach, Fossil, J Crew, Nike or Addidas, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pottery Barn, Victoria Secrets, Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, Eddie Bauer, Nine West, Bebe and so on.  Remember.....if they build it, they will come! 

smccormick

• New Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:02:14 PM »

I think that Monroe can be somewhat boring. Seems like around 11-12 at night, everything is closed. And I think that both the oulet mall and frenchtown mall could use more stores that people would like. Now I know we have Aeropastle, Elder-Beerman, American Eagle, Old Navy, etc. but what about stores like Victoria's Secret, The Pottery Barn, etc. I prefer to drive to Franklin Park to find better stores. Like the one person said before, build it and they will come.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »

mascots post made alot of sense...but remember...this is still monroe!!  ;D
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

patpenny

• New Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 08:15:46 AM »

The problem with Monroe is that it does not utilize it's great waterfront. Yes, history is important to preserve but, put a little more money into our waterfront areas. Most any other town that my husband & I travel thru have beautiful waterfront parks. Stop putting so much money into the "battlefield" and go for a more tourist opt. I visited the battlefield site on Elm/Detroit Ave for the first time a few weeks ago. Of course you can not visit inside the building, nobody is working on a work week day. Big deal, I walked the grass and read some history signs. I was only there because I was waiting to meet up with my husband. Ten minutes tops was all it took me to visit this site & I was done. Yee haa, I saw a bunny rabbit. We have a great opportunity to push our lake & river, use it.

MonroeMom

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »

The things I like most about Monroe are the shady, tree lined streets and the architecture of the homes. I love the history and significance of the town. I love downtown with all of its quaint old buildings. I love living in a small town but still with access to three different major cities. I love only being 40 minutes from an international airport. I love how we all speak with flat vowels. (The first time I lived somewhere else, Wyoming, the locals would ask me to say things like "car" and "a box of rocks" to laugh at my accent! I told them it wasn't ME that had the accent!!!  :D )

The only thing that comes immediately to mind about what I don't like is that, and this is the English Major in me, most people here have pretty bad grammar. Every day I hear children and adults alike say things like "them ones" and "no it don't." My 3 year old is driving me nuts with that one right now--she picked it up at daycare!

TPoKE

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:28 PM »

The things I like most about Monroe are the shady, tree lined streets and the architecture of the homes. I love the history and significance of the town. I love downtown with all of its quaint old buildings. I love living in a small town but still with access to three different major cities. I love only being 40 minutes from an international airport. I love how we all speak with flat vowels. (The first time I lived somewhere else, Wyoming, the locals would ask me to say things like "car" and "a box of rocks" to laugh at my accent! I told them it wasn't ME that had the accent!!!  :D )

The only thing that comes immediately to mind about what I don't like is that, and this is the English Major in me, most people here have pretty bad grammar. Every day I hear children and adults alike say things like "them ones" and "no it don't." My 3 year old is driving me nuts with that one right now--she picked it up at daycare!

Given your Major...I would wager that no matter where you live, you will be plagued by this problem LOL!! Most folks are lazy when it comes to speaking english.

riversbend

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

I like:

Summer in the Park concerts at St. Mary's Park.
Munson Park
Veteren's Park

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 12:50:58 AM »

What I like about Monroe is the charitable heart that the community has. That if there is a tragedy as in, someone needs help paying medical bills, loss of home and property by fire or natural disasters whether it is in the community, within the family, or an individual in need and even somewhere in the United States or even the world, someone or some organization will take up the cause to help in anyway possible. :D

What I dislike about Monroe, the traffic on Telegraph Rd. >:(
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up