MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?  (Read 10489 times)

Nittanylion

• New Talker
Re: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »

Likes...1) Quaint, 2) Easy access to citiies, 3) History, 4) Never have to leave town to get what I want 5) parks 6)quiet Sunday mornings and the church bells....DISLIKES...1) TRAFFIC,TRAFFIC, TRAFFIC 2) Littering...Vinces on Elm is bad for that 3) The lights on the Martin Luther King Bridge. Does not go with the atmosphere presented by the city, 4) City not using its history to its fullest ability, but now that the paper mill is going away it may improve 5) All the new subdivisions...who is going to buy all these?? 6) The way the city takes care of its streets, winter and summer.

misttan

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »

I dont actually live in the city of Monroe but in Carleton.  So I like the old houses and the big trees.  I don't like the fire alarms that go off to call the volunteer fireman and I don't like having to drive everywhere :P  I grew up in a city so I am used to things being 5 minutes away. 

I agree they should do something more with the waterways, its a great asset!!!
Planet earth is blue and theres nothing I can do

wastinawayagain

• Active Talker
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »

I love the small-town atmosphere and how friendly everyone is. It's nice to be able to get my hair cut, shop, and have my car washed by familiar faces. I love all the sidewalks everywhere for walking my dog, running, etc.

We could definitely use more shopping. And I'd love to see an off-leash dog park.

I'm also seconding (thirding? fourthing?) the suggestion that Monroe use its river more. We need restaurants and/or bars on the waterfront, and the ability for boats to come into downtown.  Downtown Monroe is cute, but it definitely needs something more.
if we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane

happy2Bme

• New Talker
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 11:57:03 AM »

Here is another Carleton resident.  Actually, Ash Township resident.   We have seen so many changes over the years.  We have seen so many businesses come to Monroe.  The commercial development is and will be forever changing.  What we have not seen is an improvement in the roads.   What I cannot figure out is why Monroe St get's 4 lanes all the way up to Telegraph Rd, but Telegraph is only 2 lanes from the "Y" to Walmart.  There is plenty of space for a 4 lane road there, especially over the train tracks.  It's infuriating to have someone do 40 mph in a 55 mph zone.  If you want to putz..then get on the back roads.....that's what they are there for!   

What do I like about Monroe?  It has just about everything you need with a small town atmosphere. 

What I fear most is that Monroe County will turn into another Wayne County. City everywhere, houses everywhere (houses for sale everywhere too).  The safe feeling that I have when I sit on the front porch is something that I treasure.  I take pride knowing that we are the 5th generation to live in this house and to sit on the front porch.   

jenetty

• Hero Talker
  • Interested in joining a spiritual study group?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »

I've only lived in Monroe for three years and so far what I love about Monroe is it's charm.  I love the small town feeling.  I haven't run into too many people I didn't like or just rubbed me the wrong way.  I was a little worried about the schools when we first moved in but since I have been extremely pleased.  I have two children with learning problems and the school system has been working wonders with my kids.

A couple things I'm a bit dissapointed in is the fact that you have to go to Toledo to get anything really good to eat from out or to get to some more interesting shopping.  But as someone already mentioned, I guess having all that here would take away from the charm.  I don't understand why there's not more unique stores at Frenchtown or the outlet malls.   ??? The other thing that I'm sure is everyone's gripe is Telegraph and how busy it is all the time.  >:(  I think they should've planned the business around here just a little bit better.

www.jenettyshome.com
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." - Mother Teresa

qzee24

• New Talker
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2007, 05:17:55 PM »

I moved away from Monroe about six year ago to be with my Fiance in Illinois. I never realized how nice and beautiful Monroe  was until I moved away. There is nothing here where I live now that compares to it. Monroe is quaint and beautiful. As someone said the tree lined streets with the nice comfortable looking homes. Even the Downtown is pretty compared to ones I have seen here. And as far as things to do, Monroe people are lucky! Where I live now is ugly and boring! Although Monreo  :Ddoes not have as much as Toledo it does have much to offer! I miss Monroe so much! I would like to move back there, but that is impossible because of my Husband's work. When I do get a chance to come back and visit I enjoy my time back there in Monroe and I make the best of my time with my family and friends. Every time I visit there is something new there and new places to explore. So Monroe people enjoy Monroe and embrace it for what it is. It is very special! I guess the saying that you don't always appreciate something until it is gone is true. Thankfully it is not completely gone and I can come back for my visits!!

riversbend

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »

We could definitely use more shopping. And I'd love to see an off-leash dog park.

I second both those ideas!  :)

equaled

• New Talker
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 11:02:38 AM »

Well Likes ,  its home, its not too far from country roads, and muti cultrial
Dislikes,  Monroe is too big for its bricthes, Traffic is HORRIBLE, People are rude, everybody is in a Hurry, Its a Gossip Town like no other, This list could go on and On. Really I don't hate Monroe but it is not the Town  that it used to be. Old Monroe was far better than Current Monroe

riversbend

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »

Well Likes ,  its home, its not too far from country roads, and muti cultrial
Dislikes,  Monroe is too big for its bricthes, Traffic is HORRIBLE, People are rude, everybody is in a Hurry,

Be thankful you don't live in a big city, like Chicago, LA, or Toronto.  We don't have beggars hugging you on the streets trying to pick your pocket. In Toronto, wreckers sit along side the highway waiting for the next accident!  Monroe is quite mild in comparison.  ;)

What I dislike:
Trying to get in and out of the Monroe post office parking lot.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 02:03:41 AM »

What I don’t like is the city officals know that downtown parking is a problem with not enough parking spaces and trying to find a solution to the problem. They had one, they tore down an old building and put in a parking lot. and after time, they tore out the parking lot to build another building across the street from the one still in operation. I guess finding a parking solution is a big issue for downtown but, if a business has the money to build another building on a much needed parking lot, the residents of Monroe County will still have to “circle the blocks” until they can find a parking space. It would not surprise me if it happens again.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 08:14:33 AM »

Parking downtown is not that bad unless you are so opposed to walking a few blocks to get to where you are going. My god.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »

Greg,

I was just answering the question, gave my opinion, just like the poster asked.
I was just pointing out something that I noticed. It has been in the newspaper that downtown is looking in parking solutions and at some points mentioned a parking structure

And as you stated:” Parking downtown is not that bad unless you are so opposed to walking a few blocks to get to where you are going. My god.”

My reply to that is it depends on the time of day you go and where you are going.

And No, I do not oppose to walking a few blocks. It’s just that where I need to be downtown, it is sometimes difficult in finding a handicapped parking space or even a normal one for that matter, to be as close as possible. My mobility is not what it used to be, having to use walking support to get around. I guess being a disabled vet, does not matter.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Mom_of_3

• New Talker
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »

Parking downtown is not that bad unless you are so opposed to walking a few blocks to get to where you are going. My god.

Greg, try walking two or three blocks carrying a 15 lb. baby in a 15 lb. infant carrier seat.  UGH!!  I had to go downtown once and forgot the stroller.  Walking 2-3 blocks carrying the baby was not an easy task.  If I were a typical downtown shopper, I would have just thought forget it-not worth the bother. 

Downtown Monroe really does need some type of parking structure. 

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 11:26:10 PM »

Greg, try walking two or three blocks carrying a 15 lb. baby in a 15 lb. infant carrier seat.

Here you go:
http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

Leave it in the car for times when you forget the stroller. Problem solved.  ;)

And Mayo, a parking structure won't solve your problems. It will most likely be a block or two away from the downtown anyway.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

MonroeMom

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »

Greg, try walking two or three blocks carrying a 15 lb. baby in a 15 lb. infant carrier seat.

Here you go:
http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

These are great if you like wearing a 15lb necklace!!!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up