MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?  (Read 8871 times)

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
Re: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 04:39:10 AM »

I wish Monroe would spruce up downtown to look more like downtown Wyandotte..where the sidewalks are wide and you can hang out and chill day or night.

I grew up in the city, but live in Frenchtown now. Frenchtown and Monroe's have almost the same amount of citizens yet Monroe has it's own police force and Frenchtown has 2 deputies.....

Uhhh what's the logic in that?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 05:30:28 AM »

I wish Frenchtown had sidewalks so I guess that’s one aspect I dislike.

I do like not having to worry about alligators or anything that could eat me.

Monroe doesn’t need their police force so eliminate them and just hire two Deputies.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 12:44:16 PM »

downtown wyandotte is a great example! awesome city!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

masc0t

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »

Parking in downtown Monroe is a problem BECAUSE city and county employees take all the spots on a daily basis!!!  I know this because my friend works at the courthouse and has told me that many people do this.  They get 2 breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon so one or two people take turns going outside to feed the meters.  It's cheap and they can park right at their place of employment.  Hardly seems fair huh?  Parking was intended for patrons but the real violators are half of the downtown employees.  There's ample parking (St. Mary's park, across the river from that behind the old Fox Club, corner of Macomb and Front, corner of Wadsworth and First (2 corners there actually - the old church, Macomb and Front).  The problem is that people are TOO LAZY to walk 1 or 2 blocks. 

MonroeMom, sorry but when you have kids you always have to come prepared.  I'm sure this isn't your first time at this as your posting name reflects "mom."  That's the problem with too many people today, too lazy to walk too far or be slightly inconvenienced (no pun intended).  Those same people have no problem walking the malls for hours or even walking Meijers, Wal Mart, etc though which is probably the same distance anyway.  So come on, 1 or 2 blocks...big deal, it's good for you.  Take in the fresh air and surroundings and enjoy old town life...it's nice. 

spenc119

• Active Talker
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

Er...actually parking in downtown is quite good.  I don't think i've ever gone anywhere where I've had to walk more than a few hundred feet.  There is an abundance of employee parking, but even during the day there are meter spots open all over the place.  It's a downtown area...you're supposed to park and walk.  If it were a shopping center I'd understand some gripes. 

A big issue is that if you wanted more parking in Monroe you'd either have to a) sacrifice some very old buildings with local shops in them or b) sacrifice something economically.  Both are bad ideas currently and i'd rather walk a few hundred feet.

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »

I mentioned Wyandotte, and ended up having my appendix removed at Wyandotte Hopsital yesterday LOL

Anyways, they were having the art fair and had Biddle Ave closed down... It was perfect, right on the river, gorgeous shops, variety,etc.

Monroe could definately take some lessons from Wyandotte in that aspect!

Funny, I just found this article from the Free Press on Wyandotte's downtown

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070711/NEWS02/707110416&theme=DOWNTOWN062007
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:52:17 AM by PrincessAmy »

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 06:53:48 AM »

the wyandotte art fair starts today thru saturday.

the weather will be nice (barring any rain) and you will all have a great time!!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

Pleasantville

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »

The things I like about Monroe.......
1) how everyone is related to everyone or knows someone who is related to you ....... (get the picture) I really do love this. Hard to find an unrelated male to marry but hey? I'm married. LOL
2) how we pull together and support families who need it whether it's illness or fire we are just THERE!
3) I like how if you see an accident today it WILL be on the front page tomorrow so you will know what happened. (that is important for us really nosey folk)
4) I like that we have a theater for plays and small concerts.
5) I enjoy the fact that we are all best friends 3 hours before the sales that begin the day after Thanksgiving while sitting in line. But when we are inside that store we are bitter enemies if we are after the same "product" haha.
6) I love the Sensational Beginnings sale every summer. It is fabulous!
7) We have an incredible jewel in the Nursing Program at the college!

What I don't like about Monroe.......
1) the fact that we are all related. (I know I used this one already) but it is a double edged sword!
2) That if you are in the hospital ER for anything(even visiting) by the time you get home half the town knows......
3) There is not enough reasonable parking downtown! Walking from St Mary's isn't an option for alot of our residents.
4) The riverwalk.
5) OUR OUTLET MALL IS A JOKE!
6) parking at our hospital for visitors is lousy. Must be for staff also b/c if I lived on Lemerand I'd be ready to go "postal" on half the cars parked down the road. Lord have mercy.
7) The old boys feel to so many decisions made around town in different political venues and educational areas!
Watch your Thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.  Watch your actions, they become habits.

Watch your Habits, they become character. Watch your Character, for it becomes your Destiny

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'

Pleasantville

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 10:04:34 AM »

Wanted to comment on the parking structure thing. We really need to think out of the box.... We NEED adequate parking of some sort.
The baby carrier and toddler thing is a real issue but so is disabled YOUNG persons returning home after being away in the Sandbox. They can't access the downtown festivals easily. We need more places available for parking. We build this HUGE nice bank (don't get me started on how they treat people in that bank OMG) but anyway beautiful bank DOWNTOWN and ummmmmmm not a buttload of parking for the amount of people they are able to service so the people who use that bank still go to other branches.

Having first hand experience of being married to a person with peripheral neuropathy(of the feet and legs) when you add 2/3 blocks of walking to the downtown experience for dining.... it kind of kills the experience.
Watch your Thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.  Watch your actions, they become habits.

Watch your Habits, they become character. Watch your Character, for it becomes your Destiny

'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 08:03:04 AM »

The baby carrier and toddler thing is a real issue but so is disabled

If someone has a valid handicap parking placard they can park in any space (time limited or not) without the fear of being ticketed.  The City was sued several years ago over this issue and as State law trumps local ordinances those vehicles with handicapped parking permits are in no danger of being ticketed. 

I live downtown and have never, with the exception of "events" found parking full on the streets or at St. Mary's or UW Lot more than 1/2 full during non court hours.  Yes, we have a problem with employees parking on the street and in metered areas. 

"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »

[quoteIf someone has a valid handicap parking placard they can park in any space (time limited or not) without the fear of being ticketed.][/quote]
That is true, to a point. however, there are some handicap parking spaces downtown that do have time limted parking and even though you have a handicap placard or plate on your vehicle and if you go over, you have a good chance of getting a ticket.

Around the courthouse is a area that needs parking, whether able bodied or handicapped.
If anyone ever had to be at the courthouse at 9 or 10 in the morning or after one o'clock in the afternoon, finding a parking space can be quite difficult.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »

That is true, to a point. however, there are some handicap parking spaces downtown that do have time limted parking and even though you have a handicap placard or plate on your vehicle and if you go over, you have a good chance of getting a ticket.

Not so.  My son is handicapped and as his Mother must drive him we have a placard for the vehicle.  I live downtown on Macomb and the area in front of my home is two hour parking.  We do not have a driveway.  We cannot be ticketed for parking on valid on street parking - even if it is time limited.  Again, the City of Monroe lost in court. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Monroemommy

• New Talker
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »

I dislike almost all of the schools here, my son is special needs (LD) and we have had no luck with any of the teachers or support staff here. I do like the small town feel but and feeling like a bigger city would be better suited to deal with special need children in their school system. I have been in Monroe for 7 years and have watched the school systems get worse by the day. It is sad but true our schools are failing our children and there is nothing that we can do about it!

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2018, 05:28:50 PM »

Eleven years ago?! Eleven years ago!!

The things I like about Monroe.......
1) how everyone is related to everyone or knows someone who is related to you ....... (get the picture) I really do love this. Hard to find an unrelated male to marry but hey? I'm married. LOL
2) how we pull together and support families who need it whether it's illness or fire we are just THERE!
3) I like how if you see an accident today it WILL be on the front page tomorrow so you will know what happened. (that is important for us really nosey folk)
4) I like that we have a theater for plays and small concerts.
5) I enjoy the fact that we are all best friends 3 hours before the sales that begin the day after Thanksgiving while sitting in line. But when we are inside that store we are bitter enemies if we are after the same "product" haha.
6) I love the Sensational Beginnings sale every summer. It is fabulous!
7) We have an incredible jewel in the Nursing Program at the college!

What I don't like about Monroe.......
1) the fact that we are all related. (I know I used this one already) but it is a double edged sword!
2) That if you are in the hospital ER for anything(even visiting) by the time you get home half the town knows......
3) There is not enough reasonable parking downtown! Walking from St Mary's isn't an option for alot of our residents.
4) The riverwalk.
5) OUR OUTLET MALL IS A JOKE!
6) parking at our hospital for visitors is lousy. Must be for staff also b/c if I lived on Lemerand I'd be ready to go "postal" on half the cars parked down the road. Lord have mercy.
7) The old boys feel to so many decisions made around town in different political venues and educational areas!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:10 PM »

LOL - People wanted Monroe to be like.....  Wyandotte?

I mean why not....  aim low and miss by a mile anyway.

Very sad.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up