MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?  (Read 15602 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »

I think I have said before that the perception of Monroe differs between long time natives, and those who relocate to here.

Quirks.....yes, but what town doesn't.  I find most people here as hard working, good character individuals, and enjoyable to socialize with.  Considering the location sandwiched between Detroit and Toledo I feel safe, and am comfortable that my family is when I am on the road.

I wish the downtown was more vibrant but the demise of the downtown areas across the country have been ruined by the likes of Walmart, and suffers from what a lot of retailers are seeing in internet sales.

Improvements have been made in the river in knocking down those dams, but I'd like to see the DNR actively stocking it with fish that will survive the habitat.  I enjoy looking across the river and seeing kids fish at the park, but with very limited success.  Fishing brings so much tranquility and enjoyment to youngsters.....I hate seeing them being discouraged.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 10:54:06 AM »

I don't know much about Monroe.  I only go there if I have to go to the county courthouse complex.  And usually can't find a parking spot and if I do you have to pay. I don't know what is downtown.  i don't think i've ever been there. 

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »

The entire Monroe County population in 2015 was right at 150,000, and I will take a wild guess that 50% or so live in the transparent borders of French Town/Monroe/LaSalle, so I'm guessing that 75,000 people or so are familiar with the downtown area.  You were right there when at the County Courthouse.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

Maybe, but I come in from the south and go as far as the court and head back..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:48 PM »

I think I have said before that the perception of Monroe differs between long time natives, and those who relocate to here.

Quirks.....yes, but what town doesn't.  I find most people here as hard working, good character individuals, and enjoyable to socialize with.  Considering the location sandwiched between Detroit and Toledo I feel safe, and am comfortable that my family is when I am on the road.

I wish the downtown was more vibrant but the demise of the downtown areas across the country have been ruined by the likes of Walmart, and suffers from what a lot of retailers are seeing in internet sales.

Improvements have been made in the river in knocking down those dams, but I'd like to see the DNR actively stocking it with fish that will survive the habitat.  I enjoy looking across the river and seeing kids fish at the park, but with very limited success.  Fishing brings so much tranquility and enjoyment to youngsters.....I hate seeing them being discouraged.

If the Corps of Engineers keeps dicking around in Chicago, the river will be stocked with sheephead carp and the kids can catch them with baseball bats..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »

Only thing I like about Monroe is Durochers and Battery Warehouse and I know how to get to both without negotiating one way streets.  far as the County Courthouse complex, I agree with Blue, parking sucks.  Dam shame when you have to feed a meter and then pay again inside to get something done.

Monroe blows.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »

Parking only sucks for those who think they have to park in front of where they shop... 

Go to anyplace else and pay attention to how far you walk -   Even the big super stores parking will have you walk several city blocks 

Its all about perception
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »

I don't mind the walk but if you don't park in the 50 car lot where is there other than on the street?
I try to avoid parking where some idiot may park next to me

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »

I don't mind the walk but if you don't park in the 50 car lot where is there other than on the street?
I try to avoid parking where some idiot may park next to me

PDF file shows all the lots - plus if you park and get a ticket - they  have a program to get them forgiven...  see one of our old members Brian for that! 

http://www.downtownmonroemi.com/content/download/1231/6749/version/1/file/Parking+Map+Green+Full+2014.pdf

http://www.downtownmonroemi.com/content/download/1231/6749/version/1/file/Parking+Map+Green+Full+2014.pdf
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »

Thanks  I'll check em out next time i have to go there..

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »

Parking...

come to Royal Oak where we fund the city with parking ticket money

I guess we are all in the same boat,

hey! where is my paddle...
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »

nobody can be as bad as Ann Arbor.  I parked in front of Pizza Bobs a couple of years ago and thought my daug fed the meter.  When we got inside i ask her and she said no..I turned around and caught the door as it wasn't even closed yet and a AA cop was ready to write me up..

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 07:22:42 PM »

The difference between Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, and Monroe is......

People don't mind the parking in Ann Arbor and Royal Oak - because there is stuff in both places that people want to do.

Monroe - I think people use the parking as an excuse to NOT have to go downtown, and not feel guilty for what a sad downtown it is.

As far as the demise of the downtown's being due to the Wal Marts and big box stores....  maybe there is some validity to that.

However....  Compare Monroe to Dundee.  Compare Monroe to Saline.  Compare Monroe to Chelsea.  Compare Monroe to Dexter.  Compare Monroe to Tecumseh.

Please give me another excuse - because those downtown's all seem to be places people want to be.

Monroe is in a long, slow, painful decline.  I don't think the re-branding that the Cities Director of Communication - and by the way - why does a City the size of Monroe need one of those.... - anyway - I don't think her big "re-branding" did squat.

And speaking of Wal Marts....  I think more people in Monroe shop in their Pajamas then those other places too.  I think that speaks volumes about the quality of some of the residents.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 08:02:43 PM »

Downtown Chelsea is awesome.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

The difference between Ann Arbor, Royal Oak, and Monroe is......

People don't mind the parking in Ann Arbor and Royal Oak - because there is stuff in both places that people want to do.

Monroe - I think people use the parking as an excuse to NOT have to go downtown, and not feel guilty for what a sad downtown it is.

As far as the demise of the downtown's being due to the Wal Marts and big box stores....  maybe there is some validity to that.

However....  Compare Monroe to Dundee.  Compare Monroe to Saline.  Compare Monroe to Chelsea.  Compare Monroe to Dexter.  Compare Monroe to Tecumseh.

Please give me another excuse - because those downtown's all seem to be places people want to be.

Monroe is in a long, slow, painful decline.  I don't think the re-branding that the Cities Director of Communication - and by the way - why does a City the size of Monroe need one of those.... - anyway - I don't think her big "re-branding" did squat.

And speaking of Wal Marts....  I think more people in Monroe shop in their Pajamas then those other places too.  I think that speaks volumes about the quality of some of the residents.

You covered it quite well.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up