MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Monroe County Young Republicans

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe County Young Republicans  (Read 3384 times)

NTurner

• Active Talker
Monroe County Young Republicans
« on: August 24, 2007, 05:04:21 PM »

The Monroe County Republican Party is launching a Young Republican Chapter in Monroe County. 

We wanted to inform young Republicans who want to be involved to contact Nick Turner at

nicholasd_turner@hotmail.com

for more information about meeting times and ways to be involved with the Monroe County Republican Party and the Monroe County Young Republicans.

Or you can add the Monroe County Republican Party on myspace at www.myspace.com/monroegop

Thank you for your time.

Nicholas Turner
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:18:13 PM by NTurner »
"One thing I learned long ago is that raising the level of your voice does not raise the level of the discussion." Former Michigan Governor William G. Milliken

DeamonCohln

• Hero Talker
    • Deamon Cohln's YouTube
Re: Monroe County Young Republicans
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »

*snicker*

"To secure peace is, to prepare for war"
-Don't Tread on Me - Metallica.

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 09:03:37 PM »

No snickering here.  I think this is a person trying to share information.  If its something you believe in, go you!

MomEm

lulu

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »

I'd vote for Nick and I'm not a Republican....
The truth is not simply what you think it is; it is also the circumstances in which it is said, and to whom, why and how it is said.
Vaclav Havel (1936 - )

NTurner

• Active Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »

MomEm thanks for the defense.

Lulu I'm glad that you would vote for me. Election is just a little over a year away now.

I am trying to share information because we are trying to get Young Republicans involved in the party. We think it is important to have younger perspectives as well as some new faces. They are willing to allow young people to really take on leadership roles.

The Monroe County Republican Party has been very supportive of me. I was a 20 year old candidate and they were very supportive of my candidacy. I hope they continue to support me when I am a 22 year old candidate next fall. I'm sure they will.
"One thing I learned long ago is that raising the level of your voice does not raise the level of the discussion." Former Michigan Governor William G. Milliken

wastinawayagain

• Active Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »

Hey, I think it is great, we need more young men and women to take an interest in politics.  I hope you have success in your efforts.  If more young people voted I am sure that the face of politcs would be vastly different then it is today.  Imagine much younger and fresher faces coming up with ideas that not only impact us, but themselves as well.  We need more people engaging in this process...sorry I don't live in your district, but I will keep an eye on your efforts.  Keep it clean and tell people the truth...Monroe is tired of all the mudslinging. :)

I agree. I don't care which side of the political spectrum you are on. If you're that upset with the way things are, do something about it rather than sitting around and complaining. Yes, one person can only do so much. But I'm a big believer in getting a lot of "one persons" together to bring about the changes that they want to see.
if we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane

NTurner

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »

TBrooks,
Thank you for the encouragement. I believe it is vitally important for young people to be involved in politics and if not involved at least engaged and knowledgeable about the process. We have a very uninformed electorate and it is even worse for many young people which is surprising because the number of young people who are involved in volunteer organizations and in community service is extraordinarily high. You would think that with the number of young people involved in service organizations that it would translate to higher involvement in politics, but alas it does not.
I'm sorry that you do not live in my district either, but I will tell the truth and keep it clean. I don't want to be involved in any political fights which serve no purpose.

Wastinawayagain,
I totally understand not really caring about which side of the political spectrum I am on. I register many people who I went to school with and who I know now. I never ask them what political party they belong to or align with, I tell them I don't care which side as long as they make an informed vote. I tell them if I see them I will ask them for three reasons they voted for the candidate they did in an election. I also tell them that party is not a reason.
So hopefully I can help recruit some one person to get some things accomplished.

DeamonCohln

• Hero Talker
    • Deamon Cohln's YouTube
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 06:49:21 AM »

See, I snicker, I get attacked.

I'm young too by the way. It's just us Libertarians don't have a lot of youth groups.

*snicker*

And its my RIGHT!

*this post is sarcastic in nature. I'd love to have like, a youth debate and bring a few other of my same-minded friends to the table.

"To secure peace is, to prepare for war"
-Don't Tread on Me - Metallica.

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:31:58 AM »

Yes, you have a right to snicker. Nobody is trying to take away your right to snicker.  But it was kind of pointless.  I don't think you like it when someone does it to you or a topic that means something to you.

MomEm

NTurner

• Active Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 10:47:01 AM »

DeamonCohln,
I do not have a problem with you snickering. I actually lean Libertarian and I know that there are other members of the Republican Party in Monroe who are actually pretty Libertarian as well. Maybe you can find a home with the Republican Party since around 65 to 70 percent of people who identify as Libertarians vote Republican. If you would like to become involved with the Young Republicans then you'd probably be welcome. That would help solve your problem of not having a Young Libertarian Club. If you want more information just drop me an email.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:13:09 PM »

I have no problems with fiscally conservative, Constitution-defending republicans. I have a huge problem with the morally perverse neo-conservatives.
your mom goes to college.

haras00

• Super Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »

I have no problems with fiscally conservative, Constitution-defending republicans. I have a huge problem with the morally perverse neo-conservatives.

When ever I'm asked why I don't vote republican I tell them to find me a republican candidate who honestly respects right to choose what I do to my own body and respects my right to choose whom I love then I'll vote for them. No matter how nice/great/honest a republican is I couldn't vote for someone who doesn't respect my rights.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »

When ever I'm asked why I don't vote republican I tell them to find me a republican candidate who honestly respects right to choose what I do to my own body and respects my right to choose whom I love then I'll vote for them. No matter how nice/great/honest a republican is I couldn't vote for someone who doesn't respect my rights.

You might thoroughly enjoy Ron Paul then. He has consistently voted No on almost any attempt to expand taxes, government oversight, war funding, and so on. He's known in Congress as "Dr. No."

My only sticking point is his resistance to abortion, but he is a doctor, so... who knows.

He's a really interesting guy, he used to be considered a long shot but has been getting 3rd and 4th places in straw polls lately (as opposed to 12th).

Paul is essentially an old-school Libertarian trapped in a Republican party.
your mom goes to college.

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 03:08:04 PM »

I see Congressman Paul more as a Constitutional Conservative. The Republicans dislike him simply because he embodies what the Republican Party should look and act like. Sometimes the mirror is painful to look at.

The Democrats dislike him simply because their voting records are a total embarrassment compared to his. They will find out as John Kerry did, it's virtually impossible to hide public record.

Ron Paul's campaign is a growing pain in the back side for both established parties. They will eventually have to deal with the issues he brings to the table and they don't like it. His biggest obstacle is MONEY. He, as of yet, can't buy the votes the others can.

As far as abortion is concerned, I like his stance. He said it is a states rights issue, let the states handle it, not the federal government.
Constitutionally I agree.
Morally, I find infanticide a repugnant form of birth control. Yet I don't find it surprising this nation is having the debate over abortion considering we live in a culture of death.
I agree with Dr. Paul's assessment that until we return to a culture of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness we will deal with this issue. Each abortion denies one more American citizen those rights.

Peace.

NTurner

• Active Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »

Constitutional conservative would be a good way to describe Ron Paul. I agree Smash.

Constitutionally, abortion should be a states' rights issue; however, many people have a problem with that because they talk about the inequality of allowing abortions in one state and not allowing it in others. However, this is an issue that should be under the states' police powers and as I mentioned in another thread, the reason it has become a national issue is because of the court, whether it is liberal or conservative, overstepping its bounds and creating law rather than interpreting the Constitution. Abortion is not the only issue that this has occurred. The court has overstepped in many areas. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up