MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > How cool is this? Finally some good news for Monroe.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How cool is this? Finally some good news for Monroe.  (Read 3523 times)

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
How cool is this? Finally some good news for Monroe.
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:13:58 AM »

Even with all the bad news, locally, state wide and nationally there are still some wonderful things happening.  Yesterday, 25 August 2007, there was a wonderful festival, "Monroe County Back 2 School Festival" held at the Arthur Lesow Community Center. 

This Festival was a cooperative of many agencies and individuals; ALCC, Salvation Army, Department of Human Services, Monroe County Opportunity Program, Monroe County Health Department, Monroe Public Schools, Sohdex Food Service, Word on the Street Ministries, Holly Weaver, Monroe City Police, Michigan State Police, City of Faith Christian Center, City of Monroe, United Way of Monroe County, Active Balanced Communities, Mr. P's Bar B Q, Detroit Edison, Tracy DeBlair, Monroe County Library System, Rep. Kate Ebli and Monroe Bank and Trust. 

More than 750 kids from Monroe County received book bags filled with school supplies.   

More than 1,100 hot dogs were served along with more than 30 gallons of fruit punch. 

Monroe County Health Department provided immunizations to Monroe Children.

Holly Weaver provided back to school haircuts.

Monroe Public Schools did registrations for kindergarten, activities and T-Shirts.

Sodhex provided healthy snacks and information.

More than 800 children played on the "moon walks". 

Monroe Bank and Trust provided there wonderful popcorn machine along with three awsome volunteers.

Three Monroe resident's walked away winners of a new computer thanks to City of Faith Christian Center. 

Not to mention the wonderful volunteers who cooked hot dogs, made punch, cleaned up, took out trash and did all of the difficult task necessary to make sure this event was a success. 

Sadly, the weather was not as cooperative as it could have been and part of the festival, live entertainment, needed to be cancelled but, all in all what a great day from Monroe and for Monroe Families. 

"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: How cool is this? Finally some good news for Monroe.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:54:27 PM »

Wow that must have been one big event.

It’s good to hear something positive for a change.

Thanks!
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

cc

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »

I grew up a few blocks from there, and my grandmother lived on the same block as "the center".  My uncle and I went in there alot.  I think he may still have some ties too.

It sounds like it was a good time for all.  Sounds like the atmosphere was a positive thing for kids and adults too.  May this be the first of manygood things to come for that area.

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:52:28 PM »

That is awesome news - great for kids, great for everyone....I truly hope that we can all help the East End clean up and go back to when it was the place to live...

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:03:03 AM »

Sounds like the atmosphere was a positive thing for kids and adults too.

The atmosphere was wonderful, in spite of the weather. 

May this be the first of manygood things to come for that area.

Better than that!  The festival was for Monroe County, the entire county.  Notice that we provided service to more than 750 children - that means not just the children who live near the community center but throughout the county.  It was wonderful to hear so many people say things like, "wow, I ve never been here before" or "I didn't know this place existed". 

Imagine after 65 years of service to the community there are still people who don't know about the Center. 

"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

zard0z

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

Nice for the kids I guess...

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »

Can you Yahoo map the center and paste the link in here? I have no idea where it is.

Thanks
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »

\
Is the library still there too?  I always prefered that library to the one in town.  Not only was it closer but we had activities all the time, and the lady there was so nice and sweet.  She liked to hear kids having a good time looking over a book and as long as we were not disturbing others she let us read and giggle and get comfortable and just hang out.

Of course the library is still here - thankfully.  Sadly, I think you are talking about Jenny Hensley - who just retired.  She will be greatly missed. 

Were there by any chance welcome cards or anything filed out to see where the people actually came from and how many were not just locals to that immediate area?

Not a welcome book but there were registration forms and they reflected every zip code in Monroe County!

Next time I'm in town I'll have to stop in and see what changes have been made inside since I was in there last...maybe well lets just say I was a teenager.

Please do.  Also, check out the photos of the center on the Monroe Evening News website at:

http://www.monroetalks.com/pictures/thumbnails.php?album=36

Can you Yahoo map the center and paste the link in here? I have no idea where it is.

Of course. 

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=120%20Eastchester%20St&city=Monroe&state=MI&zipcode=48161%2d1922&country=US&geodiff=1

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 07:23:24 AM »

CC;

Your welcome.  Yeah the paint is bright!  We repainted the entire building (inside and out) two and a half years ago.  We have also added carpeting in the hallways, a computer room with six cable access computers, new windows are being installed, new light fixtures are coming, we are preparing to redo the gym floor, we have added tons of new equipment. 

You actually may know him (my uncle) as I said I think he used to be on committees or something. His name is Jeff.  He had more involvement with the center than I did, but he'd let me tag along a lot.

I do know him and thanks to his continued involvement the Back 2 School Festival was a success. 

Hope you do get to stop in when you are in town. 

Will

forever39

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »

cc:  I grew up on the east side, as did my husband.  We knew Judy & "Butch" (Mary?)Hensley, as well as the Newbys.  Went to the community center often & also the summer camp they had back then.  Lots of good memories.

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 04:21:42 PM »

Thanks for the link and the map, Will.
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

Storm

• Active Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »

Lucky kids... eating all the hot dogs...
-'Stormin' Norman
Pages: [1]   Go Up