MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Monroe County bussiness you will never go to again and why???

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe County bussiness you will never go to again and why???  (Read 18707 times)

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
Re: Monroe County bussiness you will never go to again and why???
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »

Speaking of either losing or 'giving up' a well known franchise...

does anyone know what's going on with J&R Tractor (Monroe and still in Milan I believe)...

I see they are no longer the local New Holland dealer!?!?!?

I'm not exactly sure why they no longer sell New Holland, but their location in Milan is closed. Has been for several months now. I went there many times looking for parts... Generic stuff, like custom hydraulic hoses, chains, pins, etc, trying to give them some business.   Now I always go to Bader and Sons in Tecumseh, or Fred Ott in Berkey, OH.  They are big ag dealers, and usually have everything I need.  Plus, they're John Deere Dealers.

J&R Farm Tractor was very successful, 30 and 40 years ago, when they were a Ford Agricultural dealer.  When Bill Wagenchnekt owned it, they were always busy.  Markets change, and it looks like they aren't changing with the times, I guess.
Annoy a liberal.  Buy a gun!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why they no longer sell New Holland, but their location in Milan is closed. Has been for several months now. I went there many times looking for parts... Generic stuff, like custom hydraulic hoses, chains, pins, etc, trying to give them some business.   Now I always go to Bader and Sons in Tecumseh, or Fred Ott in Berkey, OH.  They are big ag dealers, and usually have everything I need.  Plus, they're John Deere Dealers.

J&R Farm Tractor was very successful, 30 and 40 years ago, when they were a Ford Agricultural dealer.  When Bill Wagenchnekt owned it, they were always busy.  Markets change, and it looks like they aren't changing with the times, I guess.

I remember when he sold out and I did meet one of the new owners.  I thought he had a pretty good business aptitude and attitude but times have been tough for everything during the years they've owned it.  They still have lots of small equipment in their yard in Monroe but I don't see anything much for ag...  not tractor wise anyway...  almost looks like they're trying to switch over to the contractors market vs. the ag market. 

We go through Berkey quite often and I always try to drive through the yard at Ott's to see the latest and the biggest!!! 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2013, 06:53:08 AM »

I remember when he sold out and I did meet one of the new owners.  I thought he had a pretty good business aptitude and attitude but times have been tough for everything during the years they've owned it.  They still have lots of small equipment in their yard in Monroe but I don't see anything much for ag...  not tractor wise anyway...  almost looks like they're trying to switch over to the contractors market vs. the ag market. 

We go through Berkey quite often and I always try to drive through the yard at Ott's to see the latest and the biggest!!!

LMAO!  I do exactly the same thing every time I go there for parts!  I drool over... er, I mean look at the sprayers... the header carts... the tractors... you know, the things I'm in the market for.  Then I park my truck and go inside to get what I need.

At J&R, Bill's son Dave still worked in the parts department, I believe.  Been a year or more since I've been there, so I don't know if he's still there or not.  I was hoping he would take over the business from his dad, Bill, but that didn't happen.  Could be a variety of reasons why, I suppose.  I always liked Bill.  Helluva nice guy, and he always treated you fair.  I'll never forget him, or the smell of his ever-present pipe.  He was a big part of my life back in the late 70's and early 80's, when I started farming.

Many ag dealers these days have branched out into the small tractor market, both for contractors and homeowners.  The market is HUGE.  It has saved many dealers from financial disaster.  Carleton Farm Supply almost went out of business in the 90's, when they started selling Kubota tractors.  That is their primary market now, while farming has taken a back seat to it.  The ag market is still pretty big, but considering the millions of dollars it takes to maintain inventory, only the biggest will survive.  Even most of  these big ag dealers have not ignored the small tractor market.  Baders, Archbold Equipment (formerly Dan's Equipment in Adrian), Diuble Equipment in Ann Arbor, have all created a huge "lawn and garden" department, where you can buy everything from a small garden tractor, up to a 100 HP utility tractor.  I think it's kind of cool.  Fred Ott's is the one place that really doesn't push the small tractor market very much.  Maybe since they have a bigger ag market, and they are in the middle of no where.  Whatever the reason, they seem to be doing well.  I know I give them a lot of business!  lol
Annoy a liberal.  Buy a gun!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »

LMAO!  I do exactly the same thing every time I go there for parts!  I drool over... er, I mean look at the sprayers... the header carts... the tractors... you know, the things I'm in the market for.  Then I park my truck and go inside to get what I need.

At J&R, Bill's son Dave still worked in the parts department, I believe.  Been a year or more since I've been there, so I don't know if he's still there or not.  I was hoping he would take over the business from his dad, Bill, but that didn't happen.  Could be a variety of reasons why, I suppose.  I always liked Bill.  Helluva nice guy, and he always treated you fair.  I'll never forget him, or the smell of his ever-present pipe.  He was a big part of my life back in the late 70's and early 80's, when I started farming.

Many ag dealers these days have branched out into the small tractor market, both for contractors and homeowners.  The market is HUGE.  It has saved many dealers from financial disaster.  Carleton Farm Supply almost went out of business in the 90's, when they started selling Kubota tractors.  That is their primary market now, while farming has taken a back seat to it.  The ag market is still pretty big, but considering the millions of dollars it takes to maintain inventory, only the biggest will survive.  Even most of  these big ag dealers have not ignored the small tractor market.  Baders, Archbold Equipment (formerly Dan's Equipment in Adrian), Diuble Equipment in Ann Arbor, have all created a huge "lawn and garden" department, where you can buy everything from a small garden tractor, up to a 100 HP utility tractor.  I think it's kind of cool.  Fred Ott's is the one place that really doesn't push the small tractor market very much.  Maybe since they have a bigger ag market, and they are in the middle of no where.  Whatever the reason, they seem to be doing well.  I know I give them a lot of business!  lol

Some of that equipment at Ott's you couldn't even 'turn around' on our 7 acres!!!  I was going from Petersburg to Deerfield a couple of weeks ago... got behind a JD with triples on all 4 wheels...  it was big to start with but with those on there was no even thinking about passing it on the road.  At least he didn't go far...  pulled into the drive at the first farm on the south side just west of Petersburg...  maybe you or Flip know who that is...  they had a couple of other 'smaller' JDs in the barn too.

When we first moved here I bought at used Gilson lawn tractor from Bill at J&R...   he was honest about what it would and wouldn't do and he was asking a fair price.  Year's later I drove by and he had an IH Lowboy 154 out in the yard with a 60" deck.  Again he was fair and honest and the price was probably fair but it was a lot more by then... of course the tractor was a lot more too (they're the ones that look like a Cub cadet lawn tractor on steroids.  The same little 15 hp 4 cylinder engine that started off in the 6 ft tow behind combine I remember my dad hand starting when I was little.  I've still got the tractor...  parts are a little expensive but I think they will run forever!!!

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »

My
Not one firefighter was laid off and replaced with a lesser paid firefighter. Get your facts straight Ralph!
a
My facts came straight from the firefighter that was laid off. When he waz recalled (sort of) he had to return as a new hire. Less pay and less benefits. If I am wrong then I am being lied to by no less than 6 people

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

My a
My facts came straight from the firefighter that was laid off. When he waz recalled (sort of) he had to return as a new hire. Less pay and less benefits. If I am wrong then I am being lied to by no less than 6 people
A firefighter was laid off. That same firefighter was re-hired (not sort of recalled) when another firefighter was needed due to retirement. Due to the fact that retirement benefits were changed for new hires, his benefit package is less. This is not the same as laying off and rehiring at a lower rate immediately, which is what was done at Taco Bell.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

The Hot Dog cart that the City will not allow.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »

The Way Station on Monroe Street.
Gas was $3.59. I drove by and came back about ten minutes later. The price had risen to $3.79. I asked the clerk about it. She said the price changed about two minutes prior to me entering. I got some gas, but not as much as I would have.
I drove by about 30 minutes later and gas was $3.58!!!!
No other station near them had changed their price all morning.
I will never go there again.... even if gas is cheaper! They are playing some sort of game!

naomi43

• Hero Talker
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2013, 02:55:46 PM »

The Super China Buffet on Telegraph.
I use to go a couple times a month but the
quality of the food has gone down, the chicken fried
rice isnt any good any more and the lomein noodle are
yuk. The last time me and a friend went we sat down and
they asked us what kind of pop we wanted I got Sierra mist, I took one drink and it was so gross, it tasted mildew...yuk.. so the waitress wasnt coming back so i went and found one and asked her for a diff drink (pepsi) she grabbed it our of my hand and it spilled on the floor then she gives me new drink and I go sit down and  all the waitress start yelling in Chinese language real loud, (like ya know there talking bout ya). Well any way I without going into great detail I got sick with stomach "issues" for 3 days sooooooo thats not on my place to go eat any more :(

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »

Sounds rancid to me.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

MM1

• Hero Talker

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:59 PM »

The Way Station on Monroe Street.
Gas was $3.59. I drove by and came back about ten minutes later. The price had risen to $3.79. I asked the clerk about it. She said the price changed about two minutes prior to me entering. I got some gas, but not as much as I would have.
I drove by about 30 minutes later and gas was $3.58!!!!
No other station near them had changed their price all morning.
I will never go there again.... even if gas is cheaper! They are playing some sort of game!

I think I'd have to say something about that to the owner supermom...  with their 'electronic' price billboard out front it makes it so easy and quick to change it without ever going out the door.  Makes me wonder if it could be a way for an employee to make a few quick extra bucks on the side?  If you search some old posts I posted info on the owner and maybe even the owner.  Seems like they're in A2 or Ypsi maybe...  somewhere up north of Milan is seems.  Just kind of seemed like a long way to go to operate a gas station.  I got the info off the city property tax records and someone did post the link to the new city search site and this is exactly what that site will do...  click on the map of the parcel and it should give you owner name and mailing address for the tax bill and that is 'usually' their main office...

It does seem sneaky to me...  just makes me wonder?

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »

Thanks BRD. I looked around for the owner's name before I posted and was unsuccessful. I will check your information.
BTW - they did the same thing today except that I did not purchase from them. Sneeky indeed!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up