MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > How can their be "Reverse Discrimination"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How can their be "Reverse Discrimination"  (Read 6961 times)

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
How can their be "Reverse Discrimination"
« on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:40 AM »

By definition in the American Heritage Dictionary.

Discrimination; Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice

Reverse discrimination to me, would mean having none at all. Yet, there are lawsuits, and civil battles that are fueled by reverse discrimination. It seems like we have focused the meaning of the word to be specifically white people against any other skin colored people.

If we were really all that worried about being politically correct about white, African American, Hispanic and so on, why isn't "white" or "caucasian" changed to "___________ American" (fill in the blank)

I am Irish American by definition, so why do I have to say I am white? And do all dark skinned people consider themselves African American?

There is only one human race, until we teach our kids and resist the pathways of our prejudice predecessors, discrimination will exist.
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

haras00

• Super Talker
Re: How can their be "Reverse Discrimination"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:17:07 PM »

I have a friend who is black (I'm white) we talk about race issues all the time. It's nice to have a friend of a different race you can talk openly with, it really helps understand things in a way you wouldn't have been able to before.

And she does not consider herself to be African American; in fact she hates it when she's referred to as African. She says “I have no idea if my family is originally from Africa; none of us (her family) have been able to trace our heritage back very far.” It's funny because her family has been here in America so long they can't trace back to when they first came here. Meanwhile none of my great-grandparents were born here and only two of my grandparents were born here. At best I'm a 3rd generation American but yet I'm referred to as just an American and my friend has to be referred to as African American....what's the point in that?

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:08:51 PM »

To me reverse descrimination is this:
White males in the US cannot organize any kind of exclusive group period.  If they do, it's racist and illegal.
Yeah I know.. think kkk but that was then, this is now.
Any other race or women can do just that and exclude anyone they want.

What word describes that?

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »

It is kinda like being on a winning football team. Every call is against the other team. They are allowed to score every 4th time you score, and you feel it is fair because they do get to score, sometimes.

Now the new rules require the Refs to call a 50/50 ratio of all calls.  The winning team feels that they are now being singled out, no longer given the advantage of no calls. They also start losing games.

They go to the rule makers and say, "In order to make it fair for them, you have made it unfair to us".

Reverse discrimination is one unfair, corrected by another unfair which in turn gets corrected by another unfair.

There are more of us fighting for a spot the bottom rungs, be it black or white, because we did not have a friend or family member to open doors for us.  The top 7 rungs were filled with friends and family of those in charge. This leaves the bottom  3 rungs for the top scorers and everybody else. We fight each other for the bottom 3 rungs, instead of forcing the opening of the top 7 rungs.

When you finally  walk in the class room, you look around and wonder how all these people, who you know did not score higher than you, were chosen before you.

Please forgive any typos ,, I'm just an electrician. Electricians  don't type for a living

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:24:48 PM »

By definition in the American Heritage Dictionary.

Discrimination; Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice

Reverse discrimination to me, would mean having none at all. Yet, there are lawsuits, and civil battles that are fueled by reverse discrimination. It seems like we have focused the meaning of the word to be specifically white people against any other skin colored people.

If we were really all that worried about being politically correct about white, African American, Hispanic and so on, why isn't "white" or "caucasian" changed to "___________ American" (fill in the blank)

I am Irish American by definition, so why do I have to say I am white? And do all dark skinned people consider themselves African American?

There is only one human race, until we teach our kids and resist the pathways of our prejudice predecessors, discrimination will exist.

I agree, but I think it has to do with power and oppression. Racism and discrimination are results of one group of people having power over another group and using that power to keep them down; reversing the process is impossible since it is a meager attempt of the less powerful group turning the tables on those who are omni-powerful.

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:51 AM »

Quote from: no one gets my name right anyway link=topic=603.msg11907#msg11907 ;        those who are omni-powerful.
[/quote

The only Omni Power is God and He alone
I do agree that as long as one group is the majority, they will  feel dominate to the minorities. But what happens when a goup that was once a minority becomes the majority.

Look around ,,,, who is becoming the majority of tomorrow????  Can you speak Spanish? They can speak English

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 05:23:00 AM »

Quote from: no one gets my name right anyway link=topic=603.msg11907#msg11907 ;        those who are omni-powerful.
[/quote

The only Omni Power is God and He alone
I do agree that as long as one group is the majority, they will  feel dominate to the minorities. But what happens when a goup that was once a minority becomes the majority.

Look around ,,,, who is becoming the majority of tomorrow????  Can you speak Spanish? They can speak English

Majority and minority in terms of number and power are two different things.

I most certainly can speak Spanish. I am one of those "majority" and let me tell you, it is only in numbers and certainly not in power!

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:08:27 AM »

Good for you,

GreyCrow

• Super Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 07:16:37 AM »

To me reverse descrimination is this:
White males in the US cannot organize any kind of exclusive group period.  If they do, it's racist and illegal.
Yeah I know.. think kkk but that was then, this is now.
Any other race or women can do just that and exclude anyone they want.

What word describes that?

I agree. I myself see nothing wrong with groups of people coming together and wanting to preserve their traditions, bloodline, etc. or even stand up and speak up, fight, etc. for them.

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »

I agree. I myself see nothing wrong with groups of people coming together and wanting to preserve their traditions, bloodline, etc. or even stand up and speak up, fight, etc. for them.

...the Klan included?

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 11:14:48 PM »

Maybe it's time to start a new organization - the NAAWP - National Association for the Advancement of White People. 

Watcha think?  Why does this organization not exist?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »

Maybe it's time to start a new organization - the NAAWP - National Association for the Advancement of White People

I am not sure but I think David Duke already did this. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 08:44:54 AM »

Maybe it's time to start a new organization - the NAAWP - National Association for the Advancement of White People. 

Watcha think?  Why does this organization not exist?

I think the general idea is that an organization like this is not needed because in terms of societal power, whites continue to dominate.

GreyCrow

• Super Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

...the Klan included?

Some of the Klans beliefs are actually fine by me. You cannot tell me that every belief they have is a hate belief. You cannot tell me that every Klan member has committed murder, etc.

It is when a group of people go around lynching another group of people that it is a problem. Murder is a problem. Retalliation because the courts failed aka backyard justice is fine by me. If someone messed with my Mother, Grandmother, Mother of my children or Children the courts would not even get a chance with them reguardless of color, sexual lifestyle, religious beliefs, etc.

Me, myself, I'm PROUD of my bloodline, history and cultures. Why would I want to take that away from another person to be the same? I DO have certain guidelines around my home...
-I do desire for my children to help keep our bloodline going just as I have by having children with a woman of like roots!
-I do desire to one day see grandchildren, or even great grandchildren who remind me of my grand parents.
-I do desire to have my children hang out in and befriend children from this suburb that I worked my *** off to move them to; I don't want them hanging out in or even around a ghetto. I grew up in that and worked hard to make sure they did not!
-I teach my kids to know, practice and be proud of their culture!
Any more questions? 

Truth is that we are all from the human race, but we do have different genetics and traits. At work, in life, etc. I try my best to treat and accept my fellow man if I can, but if it walks and talks like a duck... its usually a duck so I avoid it due to my own taste and past experiences.
The street gangster type does nothing for me; I'd smack them and they would'nt do anything unless there was 50 of them or they had a gun.
The drug dealer does nothing for me... I despise them!
The person that even needs 2 to 1 odds or guns to fight despises me!
The man who does not father or provide for his children despises me!
The rapist dispises me!
The thug who preys on elders or children despises me!

If every neighborhood in America had a organization that worked under a flag of street justice most of the BS that our women, children and elders are forced to deal with would be no more. Now a days the criminal has more rights and laws protecting them than the victim; is this fair?

EVERY person in America is born with the same shot to advance and succeed at birth! Some even have more guidelines granting them that shot than others. So if people cannot act like civilized citizens here, they should be shipped elsewhere or delt with accordingly. The jails fail them, the system fails them... how about they fail them? A man should be responsible for his own path! I grew up in the same neighborhood, got involved in much of the same actvities, but I grew up and moved on... THERE IS NO EXCUSE!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:59:22 PM by GreyCrow »

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »

EVERY person in America is born with the same shot to advance and succeed at birth! Some even have more guidelines granting them that shot than others. So if people cannot act like civilized citizens here, they should be shipped elsewhere or delt with accordingly. The jails fail them, the system fails them... how about they fail them? A man should be responsible for his own path! I grew up in the same neighborhood, got involved in much of the same actvities, but I grew up and moved on... THERE IS NO EXCUSE!

Maybe we live in different  countries. I too would like to think we all have an equal opportunity; however, this isn't true.

Frankly, there were elements of your post that scared me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up