MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Oh my God... "School of Shocks"

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh my God... "School of Shocks"  (Read 3856 times)

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
Oh my God... "School of Shocks"
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:56:22 AM »

Now, I know as a community we can't agree on much... but can we at LEAST agree that this is probably one of the worst ideas to ever happen?

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/09/school_of_shock.html

Quick synopsis: States send troubled kids to this "school", where kids are basically electroshocked thousands of times a day, for minor infractions (like sneezing, talking, fidgeting). Some of the kids are autistic or retarded. Several students have DIED.

State funded by public schools, of course.

I understand dealing with troubled kids/violent kids is hard, but using techniques that aren't even given to violent inmates should never even be a slight option. Good lord, this would be in violation of the Geneva convention (then again, we don't really follow those anymore, but still)

Doesn't this fall under cruel and unusual?

Unbelievable.
your mom goes to college.

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
Re: Oh my God... "School of Shocks"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »

The directors and/or teachers should be shocked.  This is disgusting.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »

Wow! How is this able to go on? I guess I am having trouble understanding why a parent would voluntarily send their child to this "school" for treatment. This is cruel and unusual punishment.

The parents are supposedly the biggest supporters of the school. They've even sued the various educational systems to keep it running, and have won numerous times.

I suppose they just get exasperated with extremely violent and/or difficult children (many of these kids won't eat, will slam their heads against the ground violently over and over, will stab people out of sheer anger, etc), they see this as the best and last resort.

Still, very appalling.

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »

In no way is this a defense, but sometimes parents are at their last straw.  They are tired and don't know what else to do that will work.  They are frustrated with government systems that don't seem to hit the nail on the head when it comes to support and they make bad choices.  Imo really bad choices.  There has to somewhere for these parents to turn to help them find a better school with more updated learning techniques.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »

This is positivley NAUSEATING!! We as parents aren't allowed to swat our kids on the behind when needed, but these so called "professionals" are allowed to treat these children like lab rats and call it "treatment".

If this method is so effective, why are we not hooking up electrodes to every convicted murderer, rapist, and child molester who are sitting in jail today.

They might as well go back to the good ole' days of performing lobotomies and get it over with.

If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

m0x

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:43:33 AM »

In no way is this a defense, but sometimes parents are at their last straw.  They are tired and don't know what else to do that will work.  They are frustrated with government systems that don't seem to hit the nail on the head when it comes to support and they make bad choices.  Imo really bad choices.  There has to somewhere for these parents to turn to help them find a better school with more updated learning techniques.

These parents obviously haven't called Super-Nanny!

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 10:50:35 AM »

This is positivley NAUSEATING!! We as parents aren't allowed to swat our kids on the behind when needed, but these so called "professionals" are allowed to treat these children like lab rats and call it "treatment".

If this method is so effective, why are we not hooking up electrodes to every convicted murderer, rapist, and child molester who are sitting in jail today.

They might as well go back to the good ole' days of performing lobotomies and get it over with.

The weird thing is, the doctor running this popsicle stand has a propaganda video he runs to prospective customers that shows troubled children before he shocked them a billion times a day, and after. The implication is that once you shock the **** out of them, they turn into normal, functioning human beings.

The problem is, out of 5 "students" mentioned, 4 of them are still institutionalized at the facility, some up to 25 years later.

He has a very strange definition of success.

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:10:54 AM »

It is my guess that the root of these children's problems lie with the parent who, I believe it is safe to say, had no business having children to begin with.

I seriously question the character, intellect, and mental state of mind of any person, let alone a parent, who would believe that it is acceptable to hook electrodes to a child and shock them.

I couldn't even imagine using one of those shock collars on my dog to stop her from barking.

This is so beyond disturbing that I really don't have the words to express it. (well at least not the words needed to keep this a non-graphic and PG-13 board)
If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

Kalandra

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »

It is my guess that the root of these children's problems lie with the parent who, I believe it is safe to say, had no business having children to begin with.

I seriously question the character, intellect, and mental state of mind of any person, let alone a parent, who would believe that it is acceptable to hook electrodes to a child and shock them.

I couldn't even imagine using one of those shock collars on my dog to stop her from barking.

This is so beyond disturbing that I really don't have the words to express it. (well at least not the words needed to keep this a non-graphic and PG-13 board)

Well, to be fair in the article the child being interviewed was adopted.
The foster mother, adoptive mother (whatever) eventually grew angry and was told to remove her child from the institution if she wouldn't allow him to be shocked.

-

This article really boggled my mind. It brought back thoughts of phrenology, "demon curing" brain holes and lobotomies.
If you're stupid enough and the marketer is clever enough, I suppose you may be the perfect target for insane nonsense.

zard0z

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »

Unbelievable is right...!

I thought we were suppose to be moving away from that kind of behavior...
Pages: [1]   Go Up