MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > WHO FAVORS MEN CENSORSHIP?

Poll

SHOULD THE MEN ADMINISTRATORS BE CENSORING, DELETING AND BANNING?

YES
- 24 (34.8%)
NO
- 27 (39.1%)
NOT UNLESS NECESSARY, too complicated?
- 18 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO FAVORS MEN CENSORSHIP?  (Read 42706 times)

French

WHO FAVORS MEN CENSORSHIP?
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »

My opinion is there is too much censorship everywhere we turn. If ALL the participants are actively involved, then that makes someone fair game and they have opened themselves up to scrutiny by their own posting. Turn about is fair play. Those that come on in an arrogant manner to blast others need no protection.

However, I believe that if someone was NOT a participant and they were being talked about, then maybe they need protection. If they have more than one account, it is an unfair advantage to have numerous accounts. The Terms of Service currently do not prohibit individuals from creating more than one account on MT. It should NOT be allowed. That in itself would diminish the attacks since I believe the ones doing the attacks have different accounts from which to do their attacks.

Lastly, if someone doesn't like the content, they should go to a thread that conforms to their personal standards.

utility slug

• Hero Talker
Re: WHO FAVORS MEN CENSORSHIP?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »

My opinion is there is too much censorship everywhere we turn. If ALL the participants are actively involved, then that makes someone fair game and they have opened themselves up to scrutiny by their own posting. Turn about is fair play. Those that come on in an arrogant manner to blast others need no protection.

However, I believe that if someone was NOT a participant and they were being talked about, then maybe they need protection. If they have more than one account, it is an unfair advantage to have numerous accounts. The Terms of Service currently do not prohibit individuals from creating more than one account on MT. It should NOT be allowed. That in itself would diminish the attacks since I believe the ones doing the attacks have different accounts from which to do their attacks.

Lastly, if someone doesn't like the content, they should go to a thread that conforms to their personal standards.

This writing style has a familiar ring to it. 

Keith_G

• Hero Talker
    • Out of the Shadows of Woody and Bo
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

I say only in rare instances.

MEN has a vested interest in this, obviously. They must protect that interest. Anything libelous must be carefully watched.
The darkest hour has but 60 minutes.

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »

It is a commercial venture, owned and operated by the MEN.

They 'publish' the content if you will.

They can print, or withhold printing, what they choose.

peace
"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

French

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

Familiar ring to it?

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

Hmmm... I've got a hankerin' for some onion rings!  :D  :D

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »

"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

riversbend again

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »

It is a commercial venture, owned and operated by the MEN.

They 'publish' the content if you will.

They can print, or withhold printing, what they choose.

peace

exactly

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
My views on censorship.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:19:09 PM »

I’m not in favor of censorship but if key words need to be modified for a good reason then it’s understandable.

What I’ve witnessed is lazy editing………removing entire topics instead of surgically removing words and admonishing the poster so everyone could learn from the mistakes.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

ShorTea

• Hero Talker
  • Oooow
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

Censorship only if really necessary, and I must be living in the backwoods, because I seem to be missing all the censorship and deleting posts,etc. Anyway, yes if it needs to be done to maintain a community type of service. :)

utility slug

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:28:52 PM »

Censorship only if really necessary, and I must be living in the backwoods, because I seem to be missing all the censorship and deleting posts,etc. Anyway, yes if it needs to be done to maintain a community type of service. :)

Agreed...after all, it IS their website.

riversbend again

Re: My views on censorship.
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »

I’m not in favor of censorship but if key words need to be modified for a good reason then it’s understandable.

What I’ve witnessed is lazy editing………removing entire topics instead of surgically removing words and admonishing the poster so everyone could learn from the mistakes.

I am not in favor of it either.  However, I do find that there have been instances where a moderater needs to step in and say ok, enough.

ShorTea

• Hero Talker
  • Oooow
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:32:41 PM »

Agreed...after all, it IS their website.

I know I'm goofy but I'm starting to think of it as MINE. Just for MY amusement, etc.

utility slug

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:16 PM »

I know I'm goofy but I'm starting to think of it as MINE. Just for MY amusement, etc.

I understand...it's supposed to be for entertainment.

...and 'entertainment' is a relative term.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

I believe the paper is employee owned but I’m a subscriber and I only want the best for our community news organization……it’s all we have.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84   Go Up