MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Ham Radio Hobby.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ham Radio Hobby.  (Read 15660 times)

m0x

• Hero Talker
Re: Ham Radio Hobby.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 07:14:50 PM »

Have you given any more thought to joining ham radio?
We would be very glad to have you as a new operator.
You can get more info at http://www.mcrca.org/
Bill KC8KFY

I'm gonna talk to my papaw about it and see if he has a spare radio sitting around. It would certainly be fun to do. Be great if I could get mox in my name :P

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »

I've never participated in Ham Radio, but I did write a story about a couple of local Ham operators when I writing for the Bedford Now.

I worked in more traditional radio when I was in high school and for a couple of years of college.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »

There's a great article by Janice Miller, in the December "Oscoda Monthly Press" about ham radio.

http://www.mieastsidepubs.com/pdfs/ocm_dec08_web.pdf

It's a pdf. you have to scroll down to page 6.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:08 PM »

Monroe Hamfest

Ham Radio and computer enthusiasts from throughout the state of Michigan, North West Ohio, and Northern Indiana will gather at the Monroe County Fairgrounds Father’s Day, Sunday, June 15th, as the Monroe County Radio Communications Association holds its 48th annual Hamfest and Computer Show. The spacious site is at the intersection of M-50 and Raisinville Road, 2 miles west of the City of Monroe, and promises to be packed with radio buffs eager to see the latest equipment, sell and trade used gear or simply to socialize and meet friends they've made over the airwaves.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »

Anyone interested in finding out what Amateur (ham) radio is all about is invited to come out to Vienna Park in Temperance, MI the weekend of June 28 and 29. From 2 pm Saturday to 2 pm Sunday the Monroe County Radio Communications association will set up and operate several radios, making contacts with clubs all over the United States and Canada. This is our annual Field Day. A contest that provides practice for setting up radio stations in remote locations using only emergency power in the event of a real emergency.

The public is invited and encouraged to come out and see what Amateur Radio is all about and even get a chance to operate a radio and make a contact with someone else many miles away.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »

This sure sounds like a fun thing to do.  Is the equipment you need to start expensive?  I'd love to get my grandson interested in something like this.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 06:18:59 PM »

This sure sounds like a fun thing to do.  Is the equipment you need to start expensive?  I'd love to get my grandson interested in something like this.

It depends on what you want to do. Thanks to the Chinese, you can start with a brand new hand held radio for $30 that will let you talk through the Monroe repeater as far north as I-94 and as far south as Bowling Green, OH. There are repeaters all over the country so you can take it with you where ever you go. The radios we use to talk to other countries are a little more expensive but you can find cheap ones around. You can spend $30 or thousands whatever you want to do.

You should come out to Field Day at Vienna park June 28th after 2 pm. We'll get him on the radio to make a contact. It really is a fun hobby I love to talk to other countries. We make contacts with them and then confirm them with QSL cards. You can earn awards for collecting certain amount of cards. Work 100 countries, or work all states, work all continents, you can even work all counties in the USA. I use my radio just about every day.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »

Have you ever met any wild women on it??
It depends on what you want to do. Thanks to the Chinese, you can start with a brand new hand held radio for $30 that will let you talk through the Monroe repeater as far north as I-94 and as far south as Bowling Green, OH. There are repeaters all over the country so you can take it with you where ever you go. The radios we use to talk to other countries are a little more expensive but you can find cheap ones around. You can spend $30 or thousands whatever you want to do.

You should come out to Field Day at Vienna park June 28th after 2 pm. We'll get him on the radio to make a contact. It really is a fun hobby I love to talk to other countries. We make contacts with them and then confirm them with QSL cards. You can earn awards for collecting certain amount of cards. Work 100 countries, or work all states, work all continents, you can even work all counties in the USA. I use my radio just about every day.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »

Lots of them, they call them YL's (young ladies) of course you can't see them.  :-\
Men are called OM's (old men) and married women are called XYL's  (ex)
My wife is a licensed operator since 1990. She's pretty wild too.
I got my license in 1979.

Ham radio is the original social network and you don't have to type everything, you can just talk.
Or you can use digital communications and type everything or learn morse code.
You can use satellites, moon bounce, meteor scatter, or even talk to the space station.
You can even have amateur TV and send your own video.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »

How young is too young, do you think?  He is 11?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2014, 08:39:07 AM »

Here's a link of different stations you can listen to online without spending a nickel 8) 8) 8)

http://streema.com/radios/genre/Ham_Radio#
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:15 AM »

It is a neat hobby for a kid to get into.  I was exposed to it in my early teen years by a neighbor who had one that could reach across continents.  He helped me build my first home made radio out of a kit. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

It is a neat hobby for a kid to get into.  I was exposed to it in my early teen years by a neighbor who had one that could reach across continents.  He helped me build my first home made radio out of a kit.

Out of curiosity did you ever build a telescope 8* 8* 8*
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »

LOL, no, but I learned to get close and not need one.   ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up