MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > First day of school!

Poll

Are you glad school is back in session?

Glad - It was a nice break, but time to go back.
- 10 (50%)
Super Glad- Vacation was WAAAY too long
- 1 (5%)
Sad- It's so nice having them home!
- 9 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: September 11, 2007, 11:46:37 AM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First day of school!  (Read 3021 times)

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
First day of school!
« on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:37 AM »

If your kids are school age, are you glad they're back?

Best wishes for a safe, successful school year!

MomEm

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: First day of school!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:55:08 PM »

Mixed on this one... 

our youngest is a senior in high school this year which makes it even a little tougher...   

I enjoy having her home and she helps me a lot with my work when she is actually here (she does demand very high pay, though) ;D :D ;) :)

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 01:53:57 PM »

Mixed emotions as well.  I am glad my son will be with his friends and I won't have to hear "I'm bored theres nothing to do" for a while.  I am also glad as I will have time again one on one with my three year old.  I am sad a little though because we didn't have a strict routine like we do for the school year and we could come and go as we pleased.  It was nice to take the boys to the park in the middle of the afternoon and watch them play.  My husband and I have a tradition though.  The first day of school we celebrate by going out to breakfast after dropping him off.  It makes the sadness disappear faster.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

misttan

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »

I am glad others are having mixed emotions.  I am sending my only to Kindergarten and I don't know about other moms but I have already started crying :'(
Planet earth is blue and theres nothing I can do

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:16:13 PM »

Our kids don't start back until tomorrow. [ Ida] They seem excited to be back, so that helps.
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

shawnawrites

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:27 PM »

I'm sad. I love the summer...having everyone here, going camping, going to the wavepool, picnics, etc. So, I am bummed.

I love two of my three children's teachers though...I don't know the third ones teacher so I can't say anything. I was nervous about my youngest. I had her switch to Triumph this year. The Superintendent at Jefferson played political segregation games so, I pulled her out. I'm tired of the crap and believe children need stability and roots within a school and he couldn't provide that. He wanted to segregate the beach kids from the North students and well... North is the only elementary I would send my child to in Jefferson. Now that I know her teacher I am more relaxed and feel it was fate she was switched.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:28:33 PM by shawnawrites »

Michelle62

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 03:15:25 PM »

One just graduated. Can't say I don't miss that drama every day. The other one is in First Grade this year. I feel like a first timer though because of the gap.  She had an awesome teacher for Kindergarten and now another for First. Got the Get Ready Checklist on the fridge with fresh stickers, all the supplies packed up, and the first day of school outfit ready.  After the first day, she can pick out her outfits (within reason).

We wrapped up summer with her and I spending the entire weekend doing whatever. Like having ice cream for breakfast and french toast for dinner, went to Calders, stayed in our jammies one day, did the bike path and picnic at State Park (while we were there, some little boy got his foot stuck in the bridge on the playset and they asked me to call 911. Took Frenchtown Fire Rescue, Monroe EMT, two dads and two Park Officers 45 minutes to get it out.)  One of the most relaxing and enjoyed weekends ever.  We can shut the pool down and get the other stuff done later. This was priceless and will definitely be a tradition.

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »

That sounds like a lot of fun Michelle.  Those will be wonderful memories for your daughter to have.

Summer goes by too fast.  There is always more I would like to do with them before I'd be ready for them to go back. 

They do look forward to seeing all of their friends again, and they're still at the point where they think assignments and schoolwork is fun. 

I need to go tackle the reams of start of the year paperwork!

MomEm

Aunt Lisa

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 10:57:17 PM »

This year I feel bad for mine. A first grader and a 6 grader. They both have to start in new schools once again because of Jefferson moving everything. I'm sure in a couple of weeks they will be just fine. Saturday night I had all the young ones(including all Aunt Lisa's brats) over for the last sleep over of summer. Tents in back yard, a campfire, rootbeer, and smore's on a stick. It's so great to take the timeout to listen to them. Then Sunday night the older ones and I went to the drive-in to see "Room 1408" and "Halloween" They too crack Aunt Lisa up.

MomEm

• Hero Talker
    • moms monroe
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »

Aunt Lisa,

What drive in?  I know the one in OH, and I thought there was one near Dearborn but not sure where.  I'd love to go to a drive in again!

Thanks.
MomEm

Aunt Lisa

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »

MomEm,

It is the one in Ohio, right off Rt 2. I live in Frenchtown and it only takes us about 30 mins. The Sundance Kid Drive-in. I love it. And you can't beat the cost.. Adults $7.50   
                                                                              Kids 12 to 5  $3.50
                                                                              kids under 5  Free

Not bad seening that you get two brand new movies, and my favorite part, you can bring in your own drinks, candy and popcorn. They also have food there to buy. It only cost my family of 4 about $30 to see Sherk 3 and Spiderman 3 and all the snacks you can eat. I believe they are still open for a few more weekends. They have a website I just type in Sundance Kid Drive-in. Sorry I don't know how to give you a link, I'm still learning this computer thing.
      I hope you have a great time.               

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:32 AM »

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Aunt Lisa

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »

Thanks frenchfry,

No wonder everybody loves ya,

Dime Store Cowboy

• Hero Talker
  • Molôn Labé!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 11:07:52 AM »

Good to see them go back..but I miss having them around..I love my kids!!!
They are my best friends, next to the wife!!!
SUPPORT THE NRA

monroeguy_09

• Super Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »

school sucks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up