MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Bizarre homework assignment

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre homework assignment  (Read 4143 times)

Storm

• Active Talker
Re: Bizarre homework assignment
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »

I would like to start off by saying that I have helped at these community meals before.
I do not expect applause, but want to include for perspective.

First of all, not everybody at the meals are homeless.
The people are usually rather well-dressed.
Some people are just struggling, like a large amount of people in the world, even the US.
That is the reason they are called a 'community meal.'
Also, other people are not able to cook their own food.

The meal is a 'community meal' and everybody is welcome to come.
You could be nice and however and donate or notify of the people ahead of time, so you can do something good, and to make sure they don't run out.
There is also a possibility the professor has notified them.

I would like to imagine this is not a magnifying glass experiment with them as guinea pigs. But rather, an experiment to experience or to walk a mile in their shoes.
Wow, "What It's Like" by Everlast, just popped in my head.

But on to finishing the topic...
Generally, the people are looking for help.
I personally would think (not representing them at all), that they would want us to be aware and help them, and also to be able to understand the difficulties that people have to face.
Remember, they are all people like us, so think of what you would want if you were in a worse position than you are, and they probably want the same. But remember, you never really know unless you ask or it happens to you.

On the assignment itself, you really could learn about stuff without going undercover, but you wouldn't be treated the same as if you were, which may be part of the idea.

I agree that one assignment will probably not make you fully understand, but it may give you a different perspective, or inspire you to learn and help more.

I apologize ahead of time for any arguments/upsets that may start, and would rather them not take place.
-'Stormin' Norman

GreyCrow

• Super Talker
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »

Hhhhhhmmmmmm...
I'd agree with having the students volunteer in the preperation, serving, conversation and clean up, but to "blend in". I don't agree with the projection behind this idea, what is there to gain by "playing the role" and "blending in"?

no one gets my name right anyway

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 09:54:29 PM »

I can't help but wonder if t he whole thing is an ethical test in itself - i.e., is it ethical or not to do this? I wonder if the professor had that goal in mind instead of people actually participating. Either way, I give him/her kuddos for something original and certainly conversation provoking.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up