MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Take This Job

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Take This Job  (Read 1452 times)

Bob Beadles

• Hero Talker
Take This Job
« on: September 11, 2007, 04:28:33 PM »

On Saturday, September 30, 2006, Democratic Senator Byron L. Dorgan was a guest on Bob Brinker’s Money Talk. Senator Dorgan was promoting his book “Take This Job and Ship It”. Senator Dorgan makes the claim that the reason businesses are moving overseas is corporate greed. The real reason businesses are moving overseas is because of government greed.
   I called Money Talk and asked Senator Dorgan “Of the businesses that have moved overseas, how many of them would not have moved if they were not overtaxed and overregulated?”
   Senator Dorgan suggested that deregulating would allow companies to pollute the environment and have unsafe working conditions for their employees. He also said that the United States is in line with the rest of the industrialized world when it comes to tax rates. That was the kind of lame answer I should have expected from a liberal Democrat.
   I pointed out that the present federal tax rate is not in line with what it was for the first 140 years of this countries’ existence. For its first 140 years, the federal government spent approximately 3% of the Gross Domestic Product. Today, the federal government spends approximately 27% of the Gross Domestic Product.
   The excessive tax rate coupled with excessive regulation makes it more profitable for businesses to operate in foreign countries.
   What would happen with massive tax cuts and extensive deregulation? Would the shipping costs of goods manufactured overseas make it more profitable to manufacture goods in the United States despite the higher labor costs? That is something no liberal Democrat is going to ask. It might lead to tax cuts

Bob Beadles

Griff

• Hero Talker
  • Oor Wullie
Re: Take This Job
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »

I pointed out that the present federal tax rate is not in line with what it was for the first 140 years of this countries’ existence. For its first 140 years, the federal government spent approximately 3% of the Gross Domestic Product. Today, the federal government spends approximately 27% of the Gross Domestic Product.

I would like to point out that it was Republican President and Republican controlled Congress that presided over the greatest increase in government spending in our nations history.

This is not a Democrat vs. Republican issue.

peace,
Griff

"No man's life or liberty is safe while the Legislature is in session." ~Mark Twain

☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮☮

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:59:33 PM »

Exactly. You can't blame the "evil liberals" on this one. Bush has had 6 years with a complacent Republican congress to run the bill on everything.

It's not Bill's fault no matter how you spin it, Bob. If it is Bill's fault... when will Bush be held accountable for his actions? 2037?
your mom goes to college.

Bob Beadles

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:11:51 PM »

You're both right about George W. Bush. Neither Bush 41 nor Bush 43 rank with the top 35 presidents but neither do Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter. Neither political party has offered us anyone worthwhile since Ronald Reagan.

Bob Beadles

Pages: [1]   Go Up