MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Buy American or You're Fired!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy American or You're Fired!  (Read 9255 times)

offroadracer99

• Super Talker
Buy American or You're Fired!
« on: August 05, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »

WDET News

Buy American or You're Fired!
Aug 4, 2008
General

A Metro Detroit mayor says he wants his department heads to think carefully the next time they walk into an auto showroom.

Warren Mayor Jim Fouts says his 40 or so appointees – from the city engineer to the police commissioner – could find themselves unemployed if they decide not to buy from the Detroit Three automakers.

He says his appointees have already signed an ethics code against ageism, racism, sexism and drinking on the job.

“I believe I can also say that I expect you to buy an American made automobile. Now, if they choose not to that they can terminate their employment and work somewhere else… but I have an obligation to the taxpayers in this city to make sure that those of us who benefit from the taxes they pay will support the taxpayers who pay our salaries.”

Fouts says the Buy American effort is important because Warren is the home of the General Motors Tech Center and a Chrysler plant – the city’s two biggest taxpayers.

Fouts says the city attorney is researching the legality of imposing such a rule on the personal shopping habits of Warren’s city department heads. Fouts says he’s also going to talk to leaders of the city’s employee unions about his Buy American campaign.

End Article.

I seen this and think it is a little out of line trying to tell people what to buy. Where will it end, you have to buy only American clothes, electronics, or food? So no new Nikes, new TVs or Bananas?

You can't get rid of someone based on what car they buy. Thats just BS.

PrincessAmy

• Hero Talker
Re: Buy American or You're Fired!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »

I call BS since my friends Honda Accord was made in the US, and the Ford Focus was made in Mexico.

EggMan

• Active Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »

The Toyota Camry, Avalon and some other Toyota vehicles are designed in Ann Arbor and built in Georgetown, Kentucky.

People who say things like what Fouts said here haven't got a clue.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »

i think the clue is...where the final dollar ends up. japan or the usa.
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

PXaiver

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »

Well then does that make me a traitor for working for a Japanese company?

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:52:35 AM »

Well then does that make me a traitor for working for a Japanese company?

i think the answer to that is...only if you think so yourself!!

i work for an american company that sells and services japanese crap. and i am far from a traitor!  ;)

7n7

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »

How many Euros make it back to the US from GM Europe?   ???
One in four people are mentally disturbed.
If three of your friends seem ok, you're the one!

EggMan

• Active Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »

If the cars are built in Kentucky with local workers ... nosh, your response is classic "big three or nothing", which makes no sense today.

Look here: "New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.(NUMMI) is the pioneering joint venture of General Motors Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation. Established in Fremont, California, in 1984, NUMMI helped change the automobile industry by introducing the Toyota Production System and a teamwork-based working environment to the United States ... Today, NUMMI has grown to become a company of 5,440 team members who produce three award-winning vehicles: Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tacoma and Pontiac Vibe ..."

Chevy Geos and Toyota Corollas have always rolled off that line together; they're basically the same car.

I'll bet you even like Canadian ketchup! Yup, that Heinz stuff ... danged Canooks ... ;D

daphne

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »

So does this mean pre-DaimlerChrysler Jeeps are okay, and ones built in the last year or so, but you'll be fired if you drive one from the years when the profits were going to Germany?

What about my Honda? Built in Ohio, it has more American-made parts than anything else I could have purchased in the price range at the time -- including so-called Big Three cars.

I forget the Republican talking points so easily.  Capitalism and free choice are good, unless you're making choices they disagree with. Maybe there's a cable news channel that could help me.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »

if it says ford...i will buy it. ;)

Bedfordres

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:55 PM »

Private companies can do what they want.  But I still don't think it's right to tell people what to buy.  I know some auto plants made employees park in a separate lot if they drove something other than who they worked for.  Governments shouldn't be telling people what to buy or they lose their jobs.  I think if they are procurement people they can be told not to buy certain products.

Keith_G

• Hero Talker
    • Out of the Shadows of Woody and Bo
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:16:54 PM »

Here are some talking points for you to remember when you're considering what type of vehicle to buy next.

* GM, Ford, and Chrysler, operate units in all 50 states.
* Employ 8 out of every 10 American auto workers (this figure is likely smaller  but still significant now)
* Impact more than 7 million American jobs. By comparison all other automakers impact about 1.8 million.
* The Big Three spend more on research and development than any other industry in this country at approximately 16.9 billion dollars per year.
* The Big Three purchase nearly 80% of all US auto parts. They spend about 171 billion dollars per year on American auto parts; the Japanese and other manufacturers spend about 50 billion.
* Have the highest domestic parts content of any manufacturer
      * The Big Three = 76%
      * Japanese        = 48%
      * European        = 7%
      * Korean           = 3%
* the Big Three build 7 out of every 10 cars and trucks made in America. In 2005 that figure stood at 7.8 million vehicles manufacturered by the Big Three here in American.
* By nearly 13 billion dollars are the largest exporters of American goods.
* From 2003-2006 invested more than 38 billion dollars in America. That is more than all other manufactures had in the previous 25 years (33 billion).
* The Big Three design and manufacture in the most open auto market in the world. Nearly 40% of all vehicles sold in the US are imported compared to about 5% in Japan and less than 3% in Korea. The Asian competitors use non-tariff barriers to maintain closed domestic markets whereas the American market is free and open to competition.
* The manipulation of the value of the Yen by the Japanese government has lead to huge artifical subsidies on Japenese imports to this country unfairly giving them an advantage over American manufacturers.

*** Sources include:

Direct employment provided by the manufacturers themselves as of 1/1/06
Center of Automotive Research
Wards Automotive Facts and Figures
2005 parts pruchases by manufacturers
US Department of Transportation - American Automobile Labeling Act 2006
US Motor Vehicle Production Reports 2005
US Department of Commerce
Automotive News
The darkest hour has but 60 minutes.

Lethlweapn

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:44:02 PM »

*  Ford F-150: 80% domestic content, down from 90% for '07
    * Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 85% for '08, down from 90% for '07
    * Toyota Camry/Solara: 68% for '08, down from 78% for '07
    * Honda Accord: 60% for '08, down from 65% for '07
    * Toyota Corolla: 50% for '09, down from 65% for '08
    * Toyota Matrix: 65% for '09, down from 75% for '08
    * Dodge Ram: 68% for '08, down from 72% for '07
    * Honda Pilot: 70% for '09, same as '08
    * Honda Civic: 70% for '08, up from 55% for '07

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&story=amMade0808&subject=ami

What Are the Top American-Made Cars?
Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts are made and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. Models that have been discontinued are disqualified, as are those with a domestic-parts content rating below 75 percent.
Rank   Make/Model   U.S. Assembly Location   Last Rank
1.   Ford F-150*   Claycomo, Mo.; Dearborn, Mich.   1
2.   Chevrolet Cobalt   Lordstown, Ohio   2
3.   Chevrolet Malibu**   Kansas City, Kan.   9
4.   Pontiac G6   Orion, Mich.   5
5.   Toyota Tundra   Princeton, Ind.San Antonio   4
6.   Toyota Sienna   Princeton, Ind.   6
7.   Honda Odyssey   Lincoln, Ala.   -
8.   Chevrolet Silverado 1500*   Fort Wayne, Ind.; Pontiac, Mich.   3
9.   Chrysler Sebring   Sterling Heights, Mich.   -
10.   Ford Explorer/Sport Trac   Louisville, Ky.   

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »

you can stuff your honda up someones toyota.  ;)

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:04 PM »

With the economics the way they are, you see more "Globaly" sourced parts in the auto industry.  I support buying from American owned companies as much as possible.   I think what this mayor is doing is wrong, telling employees buy from here or your fired is wrong.  Telling them they must live within the city, ok, we pay you to work here so you must reside here is different.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up