MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Teen Fights For Right to Wear Confederate Flag - Family in Confederate army

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teen Fights For Right to Wear Confederate Flag - Family in Confederate army  (Read 3174 times)

Ronda

• Hero Talker

BTW, this is the most I've ever posted in one day. Can y'all tell I love history?

PXaiver

Sic semper tyrannis.

Actually I pulled that from the Clutch song "Child of the City".  I looked it up and liked it so I took it.

Ronda

• Hero Talker

Actually I pulled that from the Clutch song "Child of the City".  I looked it up and liked it so I took it.

That's cool. I believe it originally was a JWB quote and before that, somebody named Brutus...

zard0z

Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus, ever (or always), to tyrants."  The phrase is attributed to Marcus Junius Brutus at the assassination of Julius Caesar. It is sometimes mistranslated as "Death to tyrants."

Ronda

• Hero Talker

Sic semper tyrannis is a Latin phrase meaning "thus, ever (or always), to tyrants."  The phrase is attributed to Marcus Junius Brutus at the assassination of Julius Caesar. It is sometimes mistranslated as "Death to tyrants."

Yeah, that's the Brutus I was thinking of. They say JWB hollered it out after shooting Lincoln.

PXaiver

I actually started a thread about that saying in the political section.

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!

I actually started a thread about that saying in the political section.

Coinsidence that "Sic Semper Tyrannis" and "I've discovered the Body of John Wilks Booth" are both in Clutch songs.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SMASH

• Hero Talker

If you look at the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution two things are very evident that indicate the intent of our founders. The soverignty of the States, not a centralized Federal Government.

The Declaration refers to the united "States of America".
The Constitution refers to the "United States".

The United States of America is a totally different thing.

http://www.apfn.net/Doc-100_bankruptcy.htm

http://www.afn.org/~govern/mcfadden.html

I'm still studying the implications of this, but found it interesting.

Peace.

ChadB

• Hero Talker

BTW, this is the most I've ever posted in one day. Can y'all tell I love history?

I too love history, but not so much the Civil Way era. I am very much into the Pacific Theater in WW2, particularly the Solomons and New Guinea campaigns.

SMASH

• Hero Talker

I too love history, but not so much the Civil Way era. I am very much into the Pacific Theater in WW2, particularly the Solomons and New Guinea campaigns.

My dad fought there.

In the Solomon, Marshall and Gilbert Island Campaigns, and at Okinawa.
He was in the 10th Defense Battalion until is was disbanded, and then was transfered to a rifle company for the Okinawa Campaign.

He told me some hair raising stories about his fight on Eniwetok Atoll. One of those battles you never hear about from WW2, and there are a million stories just like his.
He would have been 87 this year, I miss him.

If you want, check these out.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-M-Marshalls/USMC-M-Marshalls-8.html

http://www.star-games.com/exhibits/defbns/defbns.html

Enjoy.

mama1

• Hero Talker

Knoxville, Tenn. - Tommy DeFoe wore his Southern pride on his Confederate flag belt buckle Wednesday as he argued in federal court that a school dress code banning such items violated his free speech rights.
"I am fighting for my heritage and my rights as a Southerner and an American," said the lanky DeFoe, 18, during a break in his trial. DeFoe says his great-great uncle served in the Confederate army and "died for the South" in the Civil War. ;D

It was on MSNBC this morning, that his trial ended up in a mistrial.  Both sides said that they will more than likely end up in court rather than settle it out of court. 
Sorry if this was already posted.
Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
--Malcolm Forbes
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up