MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Buy American or You're Fired!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy American or You're Fired!  (Read 9275 times)

Lethlweapn

Re: Buy American or You're Fired!
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2008, 07:55:14 PM »

I haven't heard anything about this water car.

But keep in mind ... regardless of the type of engine (gas, water, hydrogen) the more we consume the higher the price will go. Water is relatively inexpensive now ... it wouldn't be if we all started driving vehicles powered with water engines.

***** edit:

I just searched for Honda Water Car and this is what I got.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/

It appears it is a hydrogen fuel cell. It's quite an interesting concept but the lack of available hydrogen refueling stations in most of this country at this time makes the vehicle functionally obsolete.

***** 2nd edit:

Here is a website dedicated to showing where H2 stations are located throughout the country.

http://www.netinform.net/H2/H2Stations/H2Stations.aspx?Continent=NA&StationID=-1

The one I saw had a complete home energy center, it would produce all the electricity, heat and fuel for your car. It's a great concept. I hope they can pull it off.

Keith_G

• Hero Talker
    • Out of the Shadows of Woody and Bo
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2008, 08:07:31 PM »

The one I saw had a complete home energy center, it would produce all the electricity, heat and fuel for your car. It's a great concept. I hope they can pull it off.

That is the vehicle I linked to, the Clarity. The electricity is prodcued by the hydrogen tank. You can go to the link and it'll explain the performance of the engine.

Again, at this point in time it would be functionally obsolete to bring this vehicle to most parts of the US. The vehicle will only go about 280 miles before needing refueling and the closest hydrogen refueling station I have been able to locate is in Taylor.

Hydrogen is an interesting technology that needs to be explored but as with the Chevy Volt I am afraid these vehicles may price themselves right out of the market.

The Honda Clarity is being leased (very minimally) in Souther California for $600/month.

Now, should Honda be able to pull off the Home Energy Station (see link below) I will be impressed.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/home-energy-station.aspx
The darkest hour has but 60 minutes.

karen4851

• New Talker
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 02:59:26 AM »

Nothing you buy is made in America,  why does your car have to be?

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 07:44:07 AM »

The American manufacturers, specifically GM and Ford .. are much closer to catching up then some think.

I am waiting for Ford.  For now I will drive the best there is for me. 

zard0z

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 08:30:38 AM »

Nothing you buy is made in America,  why does your car have to be?

That isn't necessarily true, there are a lot of American made products...You just have to look for them.

Lethlweapn

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »

That isn't necessarily true, there are a lot of American made products...You just have to look for them.

Yep plenty of US made TV's, no wait, I mean computers, no wait, I mean cordless phones, no wait I mean.......

zard0z

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »

That is the vehicle I linked to, the Clarity. The electricity is prodcued by the hydrogen tank. You can go to the link and it'll explain the performance of the engine.

Again, at this point in time it would be functionally obsolete to bring this vehicle to most parts of the US. The vehicle will only go about 280 miles before needing refueling and the closest hydrogen refueling station I have been able to locate is in Taylor.

Hydrogen is an interesting technology that needs to be explored but as with the Chevy Volt I am afraid these vehicles may price themselves right out of the market.

The Honda Clarity is being leased (very minimally) in Souther California for $600/month.

Now, should Honda be able to pull off the Home Energy Station (see link below) I will be impressed.

http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/home-energy-station.aspx

That home energy station is quite impressive, too bad it's Honda coming up with it...What ever happened to American ingenuity...?

But, $600/month for the car...That's more than I pay for rent... :P

zard0z

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »

Yep plenty of US made TV's, no wait, I mean computers, no wait, I mean cordless phones, no wait I mean.......

Here is a not so short list of American made products...It's categorized in alphabetical order.

http://www.usstuff.com/prodlist.htm

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 02:41:45 PM »

Here is a not so short list of American made products...It's categorized in alphabetical order.

http://www.usstuff.com/prodlist.htm

I went to purses to take a look, and most of them listed are made from imported products!

Stubborn

• Elite Talker
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2008, 11:47:05 PM »

As we all know, America was created based on capitalism (competition). The only stuff we should buy are quality products at the lowest price. So, if Honda makes the best compact car now... we should buy one now. This gives incentive for competitors to create a better compact car to beat the competition. Its not any more complicated than that!   

And that is exactly why our jobs get cut, shifted to foreigners overseas and so on.  Because people are more interested in getting things cheap rather than a quality product made with skilled workers.  I don't see how you can have both at the same time.  If it's quality it's going to cost more, if it's cheap someone has cut corners somewhere either at the expense of the worker, or the final product.

I know as I used to work for a supplier to the big 3 for a number of years.  All the jobs the company got they got because they were the lowest bidder and had the shortest deadline.  I can't tell you how many times we got told that bad parts were considered passed simply to make a deadline even though our line had not yet had the bugs worked out of it.  In my complaining that it was against the QC specs I got told by a lead, a supervisor and the dept head that I was going to pass it or lose my job because the receiving company could later sort out the bad ones and send them back, but that our company would have technically made the deadline.  I'm talking about major vehicle components that could cause a catastrophe if they were passed and put into production by the receiving company in the name of a deadline or price.  Attitudes like those are what take the joy out of pride of workmanship.

Do you still want cheaper and cheaper products?

katy scarlett

• Hero Talker
  • Ferocious Pom!! lol
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2008, 12:14:43 AM »

And that is exactly why our jobs get cut, shifted to foreigners overseas and so on.  Because people are more interested in getting things cheap rather than a quality product made with skilled workers.  I don't see how you can have both at the same time.  If it's quality it's going to cost more, if it's cheap someone has cut corners somewhere either at the expense of the worker, or the final product.

I know as I used to work for a supplier to the big 3 for a number of years.  All the jobs the company got they got because they were the lowest bidder and had the shortest deadline.  I can't tell you how many times we got told that bad parts were considered passed simply to make a deadline even though our line had not yet had the bugs worked out of it.  In my complaining that it was against the QC specs I got told by a lead, a supervisor and the dept head that I was going to pass it or lose my job because the receiving company could later sort out the bad ones and send them back, but that our company would have technically made the deadline.  I'm talking about major vehicle components that could cause a catastrophe if they were passed and put into production by the receiving company in the name of a deadline or price.  Attitudes like those are what take the joy out of pride of workmanship.

That supplier obviously has no business sense. I have also worked for a tier 1 supplier, and for them quality was everything. If we had bad parts that got to the customer they flipped out! They always said it cost them too much $$ to have the parts shipped back (both in shippng costs themselves and reputation) If there was a deadline approaching and we had quality issues management, qc and maintenance worked their tails off to get the problem fixed and gave us overtime if necessary to get the parts out the door on time. Also, remember that for every year of a contract the supplier is given less for the parts regardless of risng raw material costs. For example if a supplier is given a contract for 4 years on an alternator, and when they sign the big 3 pays $35/piece, year 2 its $25/piece, etc. and they often won't renegotiate the contract.  That of course of course is automotive suppliers.........
Go Cowboys!!

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2008, 11:09:19 AM »

How do you explain Lexus then?  They're certainly not cheap and the quality is exceptional.  Does that mean the Japanese workers at Lexus are more highly skilled than American workers?

Keith_G

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »

That home energy station is quite impressive, too bad it's Honda coming up with it...What ever happened to American ingenuity...?

But, $600/month for the car...That's more than I pay for rent... :P

Don't kid yoruself ... ever car manufacturer is working on this technology .. there is currently an event featuring hydrogen powered vehicles (from many manufacturers) that are being driven across the country.

In terms of the home energy station I am sure Honda isn't the only one working on it. Honda, is however, more adaptable to reaching the consumer on that level .. they make small engines for mowers, etc. They're branded across a wide array of products/services.

Keith_G

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »

How do you explain Lexus then?  They're certainly not cheap and the quality is exceptional.  Does that mean the Japanese workers at Lexus are more highly skilled than American workers?

Quality is a word that is tossed around a lot and not fully understood. According to the 2008 JD Power and Associates Initial Quality Survey Lexus has 99 problems per 100 vehicles (or .99 problems per vehicle) while Merucry has 104 (or 1.04 per vehicle), Ford had 109 (or 1.09 per vehicle), and Cadillac and Chevrolet had 113 (or 1.13). These are statistical anomalies and are further proof that American cars are essentially caught up with other manufacturers.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2008, 01:14:01 PM »

if it says ford...i will buy it.
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up