MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Phone Bills may be going up thanks to the Democrats!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phone Bills may be going up thanks to the Democrats!  (Read 2810 times)

1conservative

• Hero Talker
Phone Bills may be going up thanks to the Democrats!
« on: September 13, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

Here we go, the State House Democrat tax shell game. We can only hope the Republican controlled Senate can stop this tax increase. There are many more tax increases that have been planned for adoption by the house Democrats.

Do you want your taxes to increase?

Coalition Partners:

The House Appropriations Committee took action on the phone tax this afternoon.  Substitutes were adopted that incorporated the phone tax into the 911 stable funding legislation - SB 410 and SB 411.  The vote was 17 to 12.   

The legislation the House Committee voted on today imposes a new tax on phone bills for programs that are not related to 911 services.  The Senate was able to pass legislation that fixed important problems in our 911 system without raising taxes.    Under the Senate's bipartisan plan, phone bills would actually be reduced for millions of customers - while protecting 911 services.  Members of the House still have two clear choices - support bills that fix 911 funding without raising new taxes, or impose $125 million in additional taxes on phone customers while pretending it's not a tax increase.  The House seems determined to raise taxes for every consumer in Michigan as part of a tax-shift shell game.

We urge all coalition members to issue a press release expressing your dismay with the action of the House Appropriations Committee and urging House members to reject the phone tax by opposing SB 410 and SB 411 as passed by committee.

Please contact me if I can be of assistance to you as you express your outrage to the media.

Jennifer

Jennifer Greenburg
Government Policy Director
Telecommunications Association of Michigan
124 W. Allegan, Suite 1400
Lansing, MI  48933
517-482-4166

lordfly

• Hero Talker
  • Fancy.
Re: Phone Bills may be going up thanks to the Democrats!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

Do you want 911 to be underfunded?
your mom goes to college.

1conservative

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:48:50 PM »

"The Senate was able to pass legislation that fixed important problems in our 911 system without raising taxes.    Under the Senate's bipartisan plan, phone bills would actually be reduced for millions of customers - while protecting 911 services." ;)

How could this be?

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:58:39 PM »

First of all, instead of trying to label this as Democrats raising taxes thing, you should read the bills. According to the bills you will be paying less of a fee than you do now. They changed the verbage to now include VOIP users also. So, your cost will actually go DOWN because they are increasing the number of people they can tax.

The reason you got this notice from the Telecommunications Association of Michigan is because they will be losing money due to the lower tax rate, and even though the program will still be funded, the number of VOIP service providers that don't belong to the Telecommunications Association of Michigan have taken that money out of their pockets.

You shouldn't jump the gun on issues like this, however I understand that we look at the other side of the isle always with disbelief they can do anything right, in this case, you are wrong. This still has to pass a public vote in November and I am sure the TAM will help put a stop to that. So go ahead and pay my taxes while I talk on my VOIP.

Get the Legislative Analysis Here

SB 410 Here

SB 411 Here

Sen. Cameron S. Brown is a Democrat (SB410) and Sen. Raymond E. Basham is a Republican (SB411)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 04:07:56 PM by www.BarackObama.com »
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

edlockhart

• New Talker

1conservative

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:16:20 PM »

First of all, instead of trying to label this as Democrats raising taxes thing, you should read the bills. According to the bills you will be paying less of a fee than you do now. They changed the verbage to now include VOIP users also. So, your cost will actually go DOWN because they are increasing the number of people they can tax.

The reason you got this notice from the Telecommunications Association of Michigan is because they will be losing money due to the lower tax rate, and even though the program will still be funded, the number of VOIP service providers that don't belong to the Telecommunications Association of Michigan have taken that money out of their pockets.

You shouldn't jump the gun on issues like this, however I understand that we look at the other side of the isle always with disbelief they can do anything right, in this case, you are wrong. This still has to pass a public vote in November and I am sure the TAM will help put a stop to that. So go ahead and pay my taxes while I talk on my VOIP.

Get the Legislative Analysis Here

SB 410 Here

SB 411 Here

Sen. Cameron S. Brown is a Democrat (SB410) and Sen. Raymond E. Basham is a Republican (SB411)

Sen. Raymond E. Basham is a Republican

Can you say RINO! >:(

MissInformed81

• New Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »

I didn't realize Republicans never raised or created taxes before?  ??? Please direct me to your world, it seems to be perfect!

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:14:47 AM »

To all who think this will not result in increased taxes....
I have some ocean front property for sale in Southern Arizona.
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

Ishkibibl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »

Has anyone here ever called 911?  Was there anyone there to answer?  Money for a lot of 911 centers (PSAP's) come from a charge on every phone installed in a business or home.  Well, guess what.  The number of phones is decreasing, while the number of cell phones being used as  home phones are increasing.  Less chargeable phones = less money to run a dispatch center.
  Everyone demands the luxury of just picking up your phone & calling 911.  Well then, you need to have to pay for it.  I hate it, seeing as I have 3 business phones, a home phone & 4 cell phones.  But I want someone to answer the phone when I have an emergency, and a place to do it. 
  I will step off of my soapbox now, and humbly accept the beating I know I am going to receive.
KUMBAYA!!  CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 05:25:22 PM »

Has anyone here ever called 911?  Was there anyone there to answer?  Money for a lot of 911 centers (PSAP's) come from a charge on every phone installed in a business or home.  Well, guess what.  The number of phones is decreasing, while the number of cell phones being used as  home phones are increasing.  Less chargeable phones = less money to run a dispatch center.
  Everyone demands the luxury of just picking up your phone & calling 911.  Well then, you need to have to pay for it.  I hate it, seeing as I have 3 business phones, a home phone & 4 cell phones.  But I want someone to answer the phone when I have an emergency, and a place to do it. 
  I will step off of my soapbox now, and humbly accept the beating I know I am going to receive.

Guess what?
Cell phone users pay to!
I just reviewed my last cell phone statement and found a $.52 911 service charge
for each of our cell phones.
What will it be if the increase passes?
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

Normal Joe

• Hero Talker
  • Yep..it's true. I'm Normal...
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 08:40:26 AM »

The philosophy of the democratic party seems to be take from the industrious and give to the indolent..The best incentive for hard work is success and you cannot take the incentive to work away by taxing people who literally create jobs by their discilpined hard work ....( you might want to write this down and paste it on your foreheads when you vote so you won't forget..) :P
If all the leaves on all the trees could talk....

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:23 AM »

Answer to 911 fee.

According to the bill, there is a maximum of $.29 for the "tax". Read the Legislative Analysis of the bill using the link above, it should have that laid out. It's possible that this bill is not for cellular services because the money from the taxes must be spent in the "zones" where the taxes are collected. Cellular 911 uses different technology for positioning and routing your call to the nearest 911 call center. Their 911 tax may be spread to all the zones where their service is provided which would make the tax naturally higher.
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 10:03:28 AM »

Do you want 911 to be underfunded?

Only until they use it and it fails.... Then they will be the first ones on the bandwagon looking for heads!
Pages: [1]   Go Up