MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > UAW on strike against GM.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: UAW on strike against GM.  (Read 9457 times)

1conservative

• Hero Talker
UAW on strike against GM.
« on: September 24, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »

I think there are plenty of people that would really like those jobs! I would be careful if I were the UAW leadership. What do you think?

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
Re: UAW on strike against GM.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »

I think you are right 1republican.  I think it is a catch 22 here.  Companies need to 86 the fat checks and bonuses of the people who sit on there rears and make decisions that affect thousands.  The company should have to fork over their share of the pie to the people responsible for making them money.  On the other hand, everyone is expedible.  How far will the Union go to actually save people here?  New People New dues.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »

I think GM should just up and tell the UAW to sod off and start hiring people off the street.
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:55:49 PM »

Just make sure to tell me where to apply.. What I wouldn't give to live in economic NON-reality land!

crazeemom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:13:06 PM »

Just make sure to tell me where to apply.. What I wouldn't give to live in economic NON-reality land!
  There is no such place anymore.  Besides they walked off the line over job security.  What makes you think that if you were hired they would keep you?  Or better down the road when you have that beautiful home full of bills , they decide one day to lay you off for good.  No notice or transfer option available.  The grass is always greener on the other side.  Sorry for all the misspellings today, my allergies are really bad and I am out of medicine.  Allergies make me groggy.
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday.

numberone

• Elite Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »

I don't feel sorry for all of the UAW members who have been living from paycheck to paycheck.  If they had been living in the real world, they would have put some of that "hard earned" money into a bank account for their future.  I have always lived by the rule of looking out for myself and not expecting anyone to take care of me.  The company I work for doesn't owe me anything except a paycheck at the end of the week for 40 hours of hard work.  I need to take care of own business! Oh and I am a UAW member, just not auto related.

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 03:47:03 PM »

Wonder where auto manufacturing falls in line with all the things GM does?

If it's not sustainable maybe they will just spin the auto divisions off? Who would want them with all the legacy costs?

If GM auto doesn't exist, neither do the jobs.
My dad warned me about all this twenty four years ago. He worked at Hydromatic for 27.5 years, and retired in 1983. He could see it coming, why didn't everyone else?

Chips

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 03:49:19 PM »

They don't have many union strikes in Mexico or China.
Where do you think GM will look?
So, how's that
“hope” and “change”
working out for you?

happycooker09

• New Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »

I think there are plenty of people that would really like those jobs! I would be careful if I were the UAW leadership. What do you think?
I think the unions are a good thing.  It used to be that when you worked for one of the car companies you had job security.  Now with all the foreign companies coming to the U.S. and not having unions it is a problem for all.  I think the companies should cut some of the big saleries they pay to their executives.  I think unions have done well for their members.  I do understand that the companies and the unions need to make some changes but selling out the plant workers is not the solution. 
I have known Pat McElligott for many years.  He is an honest and kind hearted person.  He is a true professional and would go out of his way to help someone.  I think he would make a fine mayor.  He is a normal everyday person, not some big shot.  He woul

happycooker09

• New Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »

I think GM should just up and tell the UAW to sod off and start hiring people off the street.
Thanks another great opinion. NOT!  Maybe you should just be tossed off your job if you have one.  There are a lot of families that depend on their auto jobs to support their families. I bet you are one of the people who would like to see all the U.S. automakers go out of business so everyone can drive foreign cars.  Get a life. 
I have known Pat McElligott for many years.  He is an honest and kind hearted person.  He is a true professional and would go out of his way to help someone.  I think he would make a fine mayor.  He is a normal everyday person, not some big shot.  He woul

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

Why is it a problem that the foreign companies don't have unions? They seem to be doing well without them.

The companies are privately owned, they can pay what they want.

The only one that can sell out the workers are the unions themselves.

They both have a common enemy and it is right here among us all. A weak and devalued fiat currency. Higher wages doesn't mean squat when your purchasing power and savings value is being constantly undermined by pumping more worthless currency into circulation.

If you take a million dollars away from ten executives and you're losing a billion dollars a day, you've only put a band-aid on the situation for one day.

Why don't the UAW make an offer to buy GM's auto production? If union labor has been builing the cars for so long maybe they should just step up and show them how to do it. Give us all an opportunity to by a UAW car, not a Ford or Chevy. I'd like to see what kind of names they would come up with for their products.
Don't buy into the class envy advocates. There is a larger problem lurking for everyone.

chuntley

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

sound like a bunch of low payed service workers crying. Do you know anybody that works for Toyota or Honda? do you know of any one working for a scab shop,, well lets try the burger shop,, lets try the at will employees,, if you get hurt at any of the above mentioned shops,, you are fired. what ever happen to cause you to get hurt,, be it your fault or not,, you are fired. Ford had a bunch of temps. at aai, when they started bring people from other plants in, what do you think happen to the temps ,, even the ones with a couple years in,,>??? good bye. A worker making $60,000.00 a year is supporting quite a few of those low paying jobs you guys hold. what is going to happen to your job if that guy looses his?

I see a bunch of 20y/o's that don't know their heads from their tails, but are full of opinions. When I was your guys ages, I was too busy having fun, I didn't have time to sit home in front of a computer. My how times have changed. 

riar

• Super Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »

You still going like that job when the wage drops drastically, you get little benefits, and you get to invest your money yourself? Unions were created for a reason and we're soon to find out why. We have plants that threaten to go elsewhere now or else. Holcim in Dundee, same thing. They want to pollute or they're closing their doors. And that's all right with everyone? A demand followed by a threat is what? And we think it's all right.

This is about rights. I'm proud of the strike. I'm proud that the Teamsters honor it. If nothing moves forward I hope all the skilled trades shut down. It's ideology to think companies are going to treat people fairly. And then there is always the individual rotten boss.  I went through a lifetime of deadend salary jobs at the mercy of some pretty awful companies and/or bosses. There is no guarantee that a company is going to do what they promise when you hire in. You find yourself in a dead end job and stuck eating it with no recourse.

I really can't believe people want big corporations to just takeover and have the final say about everything after the Enron scandal. If the car companies are in trouble it's because the Feds did a flip on them, and they should have practiced better business savvy. The competition overseas is in high gear making hybrids and we ignore it. Who ignores the competition? Read: http://www.blogsmonroe.com/world/?p=137

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 07:48:19 PM »

The UAW made a good life for quite a few of my family members. Two of the main issues are worth fighting for.  The first one being that they keep those jobs here in the US and not take them to places like Mexico. The seocnd is about retiree health care.  I understand what this is about and I am for what it takes to keep the jobs here in the US and keeping the health care for all those retirees.  You work for a company for 25 - 30 years and were promised health care for the rest of your life, you should get it.  Thats something worth fighting for.  Not to mention for all those democratic people out there, the UAW supports almost every democrat in their districts.   As a matter of fact I can not ever remember the UAW ever endorsing a republican. 

Uncle Rico

• Super Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »

I don't understand why everybody who screws two bolts & nuts into a car thinks they deserve $30 an hour plus excellent benefits.  I went to college and so did most of my friends.  Very few of us make what an auto worker with a GED makes.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up